Worried about small baby... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-26-2005, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Call me weird!
I am worried my baby is gonna be small. Honestly, I can't tell the size of my baby.
I am not scared of pusing a big chunky baby, even if it's my first. If I get some tearing, oh well, at least the baby's big!!
I've been telling ppl that this whole pregnancy. I laughed at ppl for getting c-section for their so-called too big babies that are only about 7.5 lbs.. (or less)
But, if my baby is really little, wouldn't it make me nothing but a big mouth??
Hopefully my baby would at least be 8.5 pounds..
Though, I don't think eating a lot would change anything. Would it?
I just want to prove that natural childbirth is possible, even for the first pregnancy with a big baby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 10-26-2005, 01:11 PM

your baby is going to be the size it is! its not something you can really change. its going to be perfect. perfectly made for your arms and kisses and breasts. dont worry momma

i dont think thats its that much harder to birth a 7 lb 8 oz baby ( which is what elwynn was) than it is to birth a 9 lb 10 oz babe.. (my doula's baby was 9lb10oz) and she had him at home

mostly our bodies are made to give birth..its good that there are interventions for emergencies, but trust your body!! and your baby.

and there are benefits to having a small baby they are a lot easier to cary around without getting tired and they are impish and so cute.. my little guy has always been small and its something that makes him who he is

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#3 of 10 Old 10-26-2005, 01:41 PM

I've been having the same worries, though this is my third. I was so much bigger with my boys than I am now, both were over 10 lbs at birth. I feel like I'm doing something wrong though nothing is terribly different in my pregnancy routine ( I am eating alot better though).
They say a baby will grow as big as the womb allows. I don't know, I think part of it's genetics and what part of the two of you wee one gets. I guess the best we should be hoping for is a healthy baby...
#4 of 10 Old 10-26-2005, 02:10 PM

WEll, finding out that this babe is measuring right on schedule and will be around 8lbs at term has been weird for me. DS was 9'2" and I fully expected this well, nourished, non-induced, home birthed baby to be one of those 10lbers! And I was relishing the fact that I could proove to the world that big babies can indeed be birthed!

What am I supposed to do with a small 8lber?

Well, the big ones are fun because they feel so sturdy, but they do wear on a mamas back and arms!

Jenn, perpetually tired mom to DS(9): DD(4.5): DD(2) :
#5 of 10 Old 10-26-2005, 02:24 PM
bec

Katie was 10lbs, 6oz. and was a c-section. They told me at the hospital it was because she was too big.

Emily was 10lbs, 7oz and was a natural homebirth! I felt so vindicated from that!

Don't worry what people will say. Just have your baby at the size that your baby decides to be, and everything else will sort itself out.

Bec

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#6 of 10 Old 10-26-2005, 04:30 PM

I sometimes worry that Liam won't be as big as big sis (9lbs), and I really liked having a big baby. But, I mean really, what can you do? Also, along the same line of irrational worries, I worry he won't have the hair that big sis had. It's like that's what is perfect in my mind - big and tonz of black hair! (Molly didn't even look like she belonged to us, as the nurse pointed out ) But, during a rational period, which are coming less and less, I know he will be perfect no matter what he looks like/weighs. This is what happens when you have too much time to obsess about the baby
#7 of 10 Old 10-26-2005, 04:39 PM

ITA the other mamas--your baby will be the size he or she is meant to be, but I understand protein is important in the last couple of months as far as bulking them up. I'm vegie so was doing shakes and tofu and faux meat and tempeh and beans etc etc. Theres lots to choose from.
#8 of 10 Old 10-27-2005, 03:30 AM

I'm right there with you. We had a scan done on Monday because my midwife was getting concerned that I was measuring ahead for dates- the consultant's guess is that this baby's a 7 lber (pretty much my guess too). What am I going to do with a 7lber? They're all small and fragile and delicate-looking- I like babies that wouldn't look out of place in a rugby scrum, big and hefty and chunky.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#9 of 10 Old 10-27-2005, 06:10 AM

Honey, you don't need to prove nuthin' to no one!!!!!!!!!!!
Your baby will be the perfect size! but here's a little to grow that baby more for you
#10 of 10 Old 10-27-2005, 09:26 PM

I'm worried about a small one too -- I guess I'd kind of set myself up intellectually for a BIG baby since DH and I were both post-dates, and chunky (I was 9.5lbs and DH was 10+ lbs.). So now that the baby is measuring a week behind I'm getting a little worried that there is something wrong. Intellectually I figure that there really probably isn't... it's just hard to keep up with the good eating and high protien with this horrible heartburn. But I'm caught in this weird irrational merry-go-round between being worried that the little one is OK and happy that we'll get more use out of the NB sized clothes and diapers, and then worried all over again.

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page