why your username??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 10-27-2005, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Some of us have some pretty cool screenames and others of us have boring ones like mine. I was just wondering how you came up with your username.

Mine, obviously, is because I'm Willems' mamma...
I joined MDC just about the time I found out I was pg and creativity was still on the reserve.
#2 of 43 Old 10-27-2005, 09:39 AM

How funny Monique! I have thought of starting a thread like this so many times because I am so curious about everyone's user names. Mine is so boring and stupid. I wasn't pregnant when I joined MDC, so I didn't want to have "mama" be a part of my username (obviously), and the only other thing that I really felt was enough a part of my identity to be part of a name is the fact that I'm a gemini, but all of the cute gemini names that I thought of were already taken.

I've thought about changing it to something more creative or expressive but then it would be weird because I've been *Amy* for so long and that's what everyone knows me as.

So yes, tell us what your username means!

:

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#3 of 43 Old 10-27-2005, 09:59 AM

Mine is from a song by a band called Orgy. It's pretty easy. When I was registering my username it happened to be playing on my computer.
#4 of 43 Old 10-27-2005, 10:01 AM

When I was pg with my son we hadn't found out the sex... the girl name we had chosen was Amara Grace, which means 'eternal grace'. Hence my username.
#5 of 43 Old 10-27-2005, 10:29 AM

The first time I was on MDC boards, I was stlcjb. Well, pretty obvious. My initalls are cjb and I am from St. Louis. Only thing I could come up with.

Well, I saw "Pirates of the Caribbean" and fell in love with pirates. I think most of it was in the back of my mind. I have been going to Florida since I was 1 (now 37), so the beach and such has always played a big role in my life.

I wanted to have a handle that was more "piratey". Actually, my dh came up with it. I am originally from Ohio, hence buckeye, but he put a spin on it ( and only 6 cars on the plate in MO). buc "aye" as in "aye matey". It's my licence plate and I usually fly the jolly roger over my car. I'm a bit of a "freak" as my friends say.

It's always interesting how people come up with there screen names . . .
#6 of 43 Old 10-27-2005, 10:36 AM

My last name is Gunter. Honestly, I had never been part of a chat room or online forum before MDC. I didn't really know what to think/pick as a name.

Boorrhhhhhrrrring, yeah.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#7 of 43 Old 10-27-2005, 11:02 AM

I used mine because it as was I use on eBay, but the reason for choosing that was pretty arbitrary. You know on eBay there are already so many user names chosen. I didn't want to be "julia3485960" I'm a geologist and the mineral plagioclase came to mind, so I just used the first part of it "plagio" since it sounds like a name of sorts and is easy for people (most importantly, me!) to remember. Not too exciting.
#8 of 43 Old 10-27-2005, 11:19 AM

(Sorry if this offends anyone. I think it's hilarious, personally.)

http://www.venganza.org/

I used to have a different user name when I joined this group, but I changed it through the MDC system due to professional and privacy concerns. And because I always wanted to be a flyingspaghettimama, ever since I was a little girl. Ok, not really.

Bucaye, I also love pirates, as they figure prominently in FSM and in that great Decemberists song. My daughter loves pirates. Pirates are big where I am. There's even talk like a pirate day...I'm not sure if it's all just a fad, and we will look back as wistfully on pirates as we do on pet rocks...but I'm going with it.
#9 of 43 Old 10-27-2005, 11:43 AM

ah-ha -- I think, FSmama, that yours was one of the ones some of us were MOST curious about . .
#10 of 43 Old 10-27-2005, 12:26 PM

i think mines pretty straight forward im fern and im a mama.. so, mamafern!
i was thinking about changing it, but i cant think of what id change it to and it costs money

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#11 of 43 Old 10-27-2005, 12:39 PM

Mine is b-o-r-i-n-g

My name is Melanie...but sometimes go by Mellie..and Lynn is my middle name. I'm so creative....lol
#12 of 43 Old 10-27-2005, 02:02 PM

I think I posted the "reason" behind my screen name when I joined - but quick recap: my email address was always "spugh" (pronounced "spew") but a coworker started tagging a "y" onto it... not altogether undeserved after an office Christmas party at which I somehow thought that getting into a drinking contest with a guy 3 times my size was a good idea... I didn't disgrace myself, so to speak, until I got home but somehow everyone found out about that via my then-boyfriend (now DH!)... I use it because it reminds me that sometimes, I am not so bright

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#13 of 43 Old 10-27-2005, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

I remember that story you posted spughy!!! BTDT... not quite so proud of myself though !!!
#14 of 43 Old 10-27-2005, 02:16 PM

Well, the thing is... I DID hold my own pretty well against the guy 3 times my size...

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#15 of 43 Old 10-27-2005, 02:16 PM

I don't even know why I chose this one. I heard Tori Amos say it in an interview and I thought it was funny, and I think my first few attempts at a name were taken. Sometimes I wish I would have just picked something less goofy because I hate meeting RL ppl from MDC and having to say, "Uh, hi, yeah.. I am uh, Attila the Honey on there.." "Flora's Mama" or something like that is so much more straightforward!

FSM: I knew that was where your name was from, and it makes me giggle everytime I see it. Ramen.

flowersforyou.gif

#16 of 43 Old 10-27-2005, 02:32 PM

I was formerly known as flapjackanarchist- because of the nightmare that was registering on the old hipmama boards (where every conceivable permutation of any username a normal person might want had already been taken, and a board crash meant that you got a second chance to try and grab your username.)
And, predictably enough, it was a Friday morning which meant that schnews (www.schnews.org) had just been delivered to my in-box, and I was chomping on some flapjacks...
Butter
Some sugar
Lots of golden syrup and molasses
Lots and lots of porridge oats
A teaspoonful of ground ginger
Melt and mix everything together, put it in a greased pan, sprinkle sesame seeds over the top (preferably in an interesting pattern, but it's not essential) bake for 20 minutes, cut into squares and eat.

FSM-

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#17 of 43 Old 10-27-2005, 02:53 PM

OMG - my mom used to make those all the time - I loved them. I haven't thought of them in years! I am totally going to go home and make some tonight!!! Thanks Helen!

#18 of 43 Old 10-27-2005, 04:25 PM

mine's pretty boring too- i registered when i was pregnant w/ our first, before we knew she was a girl, and my husband is a drum and bass dj by the name of Kaoss- so there you have it.....BabyKaoss.

Sarah- following my bliss, mama to 3 :
Dd to Ds: "Let's have a snack party! I got us chips, and a hammer!"
#19 of 43 Old 10-27-2005, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
FSM, many months ago I actually complained to my DP about how hilarious & cool your username was & how I wish I had thought of it 1st. Hahasnort.

Babykaoss, how do you pronounce your name? Is it like "chaos"?

I too chose my username after trying a zillion things that were all taken back in the day on Hipmama. "Zjande" is made up of the last 3 letters of both my kids names, Tazja & Inde. I've been using it on the mama boards ever since (& my friend who created my Livejournal for me set it up under zjande), for like 7 years, even though I've never even been that fond of it or know how to pronounce it exactly, haha! I've been totally wondering what to do once this baby comes, too. Add another 3 letters to my username? Hmm.

I'm "Monster Girl" everywhere else. I have a monster fetish. And I kind of act like one when drunk. Albeit a happy one. I want to have sex with the Predator.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#20 of 43 Old 10-27-2005, 06:25 PM

Mine is pretty explanatory... although it sometimes freaks me to see it starting with death, I can't think of a better way to die. I'm a chocolate snob... Hershey's would never do. Okay, maybe in a pinch...

I'm 39 weeks today. Been having contractions on and off for a week. Yuck, I'm miserable.
#21 of 43 Old 10-27-2005, 06:57 PM

spughy, that's really funny.

zjande, you want to have sex with the Predator?! Well, this would explain those strange movements beneath your belly, huh? What will you put on the birth certificate?

And the FSM name cuts both ways - some people like it and get it, others assume that I have some horrible vendetta against all Christians. Which I don't, not that I'm aware of. I am sort of partial to the philosophy which spawned the FSM website - you know, scientific learnin' and such. If you read the letters, there are many women who swear they are carrying the monster's divine baby. If only....sigh....
#22 of 43 Old 10-27-2005, 09:00 PM

#23 of 43 Old 10-27-2005, 09:21 PM

zjande- I never know how to pronounce your name, either...BUT I have always really liked it. Maybe you should just name your third babe that and then you won't need to make any changes.

FSM- Your names makes me hungry!!! I want to eat yummy spaghetti with honey (yes, honey, even before I was preggo) on top and potato rolls when I read stuff by you. I thought it was b/c you had a toddler or something who throws spaghetti around while eating. I NEVER would have guessed about the real reason. Interesting website.

bucaye- I have two friends who are very into priates. Last year, her 25th b-day party was a pirate tea party. We all dressed up. This year (actually last Sunday), the theme was cowgirl librarian. Very funny times. These two friends love priates though and they have been together for 5 years. If they get married, I expect a pirate theme to be a big part of it. Pirates are big around here for other people b/c Eastern Carolina University is close and their mascot is the Pirate. Lots of people have pirate stickers on their cars b/c of this school.

#24 of 43 Old 10-27-2005, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

zjande, I pronounce your name "Zzzz-jandy" (in my head) when I read your posts....

so I take it that "Iwant2birththePredators'offspring" was taken then???
#25 of 43 Old 10-27-2005, 10:01 PM

Belleweather is from the Connie Willis Novel 'bellweather', but I just liked it more with the 'e'. I just really liked the book, which is all about fads and probability, and needed something that didn't have any connection with my real life since I have unfortunately acquired a creepy internet stalker.

The bellweather in the book happens to be a rather opinionated sheep. Baaaaa.

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
#26 of 43 Old 10-27-2005, 10:04 PM

Ah my brain can handle this question...CJBeach
C is for Cam
J is for Jules
B is for Blake (currently baking)
and we live at the beach!
#27 of 43 Old 10-27-2005, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by willemsmamma
zjande, I pronounce your name "Zzzz-jandy" (in my head) when I read your posts....

so I take it that "Iwant2birththePredators'offspring" was taken then???
Hahaha! I keep thinking I should change my signature line more often, er, like ever. That would be an awesome signature line, "I want to birth the Predator's offspring." That would surely make folks wonder about me, haha, which is always fun.

I suppose "zjande" is pronounced with the "zj" making the sound that the "j" makes in "Taj Mahal", and it would rhyme with "blondie". My dd's name, Tazja, rhymes with "rajah", an indian prince.

Gunter, I have never heard of anyone eating spaghetti with honey! I usually eat mine with butter, Bragg's & hemp seed oil which I suppose is kind of weird too. Yesterday morning DP went to talk to a co-worker who he discovered was just sitting there eating a pint of sour cream with a spoon for breakfast. I find that rather ODD.

Omg, I've decided to come clean. It was only while reading this thread & really thinking about usernames did I realize that babykaoss' name probably sounds like baby-chaos. All this time my dorky-dumb brain had been reading it all dyslexically, "baby co-ass". Um, sorry!!

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#28 of 43 Old 10-28-2005, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjande
Gunter, I have never heard of anyone eating spaghetti with honey! I usually eat mine with butter, Bragg's & hemp seed oil which I suppose is kind of weird too. Yesterday morning DP went to talk to a co-worker who he discovered was just sitting there eating a pint of sour cream with a spoon for breakfast. I find that rather ODD. Omg, I've decided to come clean. It was only while reading this thread & really thinking about usernames did I realize that babykaoss' name probably sounds like baby-chaos. All this time my dorky-dumb brain had been reading it all dyslexically, "baby co-ass". Um, sorry!!
What is Bragg's, anyway? Never heard of it...maybe I would like it? Yeah, the honey thing is a very funny and odd thing, I know. Just too yummy for me though. Ever seen the movie, Elf? Remember the part after he meets his "dad" where he puts syrup on his spaghetti? I can relate.

I am laughing my co-ass off about the BabyKaoss thing!!!

#29 of 43 Old 10-28-2005, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Babykaoss, how do you pronounce your name? Is it like "chaos"?
yep.......like chaos........

my husband and i also have matching intertwined chaos and eternity symbol tattoos.

#30 of 43 Old 10-28-2005, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I'm "Monster Girl" everywhere else. I have a monster fetish. And I kind of act like one when drunk. Albeit a happy one. I want to have sex with the Predator.
oh and i meant to say.....the Predator from the movies? I just saw the last one, and i have to say, he IS kind of sexy.......with his monster dreads and all.....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page