visit with backup physician--update - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-27-2005, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My midwife called this a.m. and said that I needed to schedule a consultation with her backup doc. He's the only doc who backs midwives in the area, so it is very important to keep him happy. Which makes me really nervous about the visit.

I asked her what to expect, and she said she was sending him my records and that an exam shouldn't be necessary and that he may suggest things but I'm welcome to refuse if I want to. So if I refuse something will that look bad on my midwife? How do these things usually go?

Should I just hope really hard that I have the baby before the appointment?

I see my midwife on Thrusday and then him on Friday. Have I ever mentioned I don't like doctors????

Christa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2005, 12:54 PM

i've only had one back up doc visit, but it was fine...it was mostly a meet and greet, and so that he had my med info if anything should go wrong and i ended up in the hosptial. i did want an u/s so we talked about that and he ordered one for me. it was pretty relaxed (tho this doc is not a relaxed guy!). i don't think you'll make your midwife look badly by refusing anything he may suggest...as my current mw explained her relationship with her backup doc- she sends her patients to him to keep him happy ($$) so that he will continue to provide backup support for her if needed. so i think that just by going you are doing your part
Old 10-27-2005, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

I was feeling better about this (thanks laisett) but they just called back to tell me how much the visit will be and they charge $250! For a consult! I asked her what was included in that and she really couldn't tell me (of course she is just the receptionist) She did say that he needed to make sure I was healthy enough for a homebirth. I was in tears and trying not to let her know it. I can't afford a $250 doctor visit (that I don't need, btw).

I don't want a physical. I don't want blood work. I just want to have my baby at home with my midwife.

Maybe I'll get really lucky and this little fellow will decide that his birthday should be next week. I wouldn't mind having a pumpkin instead of a turkey.

Christa
Old 10-27-2005, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crsta33
Maybe I'll get really lucky and this little fellow will decide that his birthday should be next week. I wouldn't mind having a pumpkin instead of a turkey.

Christa
cute!!!

me too me too!

Sarah- following my bliss, mama to 3 :
Dd to Ds: "Let's have a snack party! I got us chips, and a hammer!"
Old 10-27-2005, 07:31 PM

I understand the need for back up meet and greet because it's a CYA for the doctor if he's called in for an emergency. However, did the MW let you know that this would be required with an extra fee??
Old 10-27-2005, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

I did know that his fees would be separate, I was just shocked at the amount. And really, now that I've thought about it and talked to dh and calmed down a little, it's quite possible the fee I was quoted was for an initial prenatal consultation with all the prenatal work included.

I just can't imagine that a clothed consultation would cost nearly that much. She emailed me and told me that if they set me up for an exam just to not undress and to tell him that she was doing my GBS culture and to have an u/s done somewhere else if he wanted to do that and to tell him I wanted to discuss any other procedures with her before having them done.

I think it will be okay...I just freaked. I am worried that my BP will be up at the visit, but I'll have my numbers from her visit the day before to go by if they are up.

Christa
Old 10-27-2005, 10:24 PM

They charged me $175 for my prenatal consult with no work up whatsoever.

I don't like doctors either (that's kinda funny right because technically I am one)... medical doctors I mean. I don't like the medical establishment and how disempowered and anonymous you become the moment the doc enters the room.

You just have to remember that it's just a service they are providing and you are the consumer. You wouldn't feel bad if you drove up to the gas station and the attendent wanted to fill your tank, change your oil, wash and vacum your car AND rotate your tires - and you said no to all the extras. All you want is a basic fill-up (get your name and info in the system as a backup). Don't feel bad about it, don't let them intimidate you into feeling bad about it, and don't worry, it won't reflect badly on your midwife, especially if she recommended them.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:00 AM

Okay, it might be a little dishonest, but can't you call to reschedule when you get a little closer to the appt, and just keep calling and rescheduing till OOPS! the baby is born?

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Cups
Okay, it might be a little dishonest, but can't you call to reschedule when you get a little closer to the appt, and just keep calling and rescheduing till OOPS! the baby is born?

That would be well within my passive-agressive tendencies. I like that idea.

Christa
Old 11-04-2005, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

The appointment was today and I did go. Really, all in all, it wasn't so bad. He didn't try to order any tests, exams, etc. that I didn't need. They just weighed, measured, dopplered, all the stuff my midwife did yesterday, and then charged me almost $200 for it! There wasn't a mixup on the cost, but he did give me a discount. And dh was "good" for the entire visit (except for one little incident when he misunderstood something the nurse said and he did start playing with the latex gloves at the end *sigh*)

Basically, all they did was make me a chart to send over to the hospital just in case I need to be transferred. I liked the doc okay though and he said he didn't expect to see me again, which is cool.

Christa
Old 11-05-2005, 12:50 AM

Glad it was ok, but sorry about the extra cost Good thing they didn't want to make you do any tests you didn't want to do, and it just confirmed what you already had done with your mw. Now on to a happy birthing time sometime soon!

User Tag List