I just **realized**... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-27-2005, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was putting ds down for a nap, holding him close, rocking him back and forth, smelling his smelly garlic breath sweep across my face...
yeah, so I was sitting there quietly looking at the birth tub set up in my bedroom and contemplating my labor with him, wondering how different it was going to be this time...

And all of the sudden it hit me... I'm going to have a baby, and soon. I remember in the beginning of my pregnancy how excited I was, especially to have the priviledge of giving birth again. Birth is such a rite of passage for me... it embodies everything being a woman means to me, the sacred feminine.

Crazy how it just hit me like that (not that I haven't been conscious of it the whole way through this pg.)

Anyone else have an epiphany like this???
#2 of 9 Old 10-27-2005, 07:15 PM

I just can't seem to "get" that my baby isn't going to be my only baby anymore. I haven't rocked her to sleep in ages, but she wanted me to for a nap this week...I so loved that. Esp with her arm draped around my huge belly.

I should have moved her out of my bed already, but just can't bring myself to do it (that and I've been falling asleep first lately).

It hits me out of the blue like that too though...I'm going to have another one, and soon.

Christa
#3 of 9 Old 10-27-2005, 07:52 PM

The other night at dinner I was talking about having a baby to love and look after, then realised that I am going to be a mother. Having a baby- okay, but being a mother???

It seems obvious...but it was one of those kinds of moments.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#4 of 9 Old 10-27-2005, 08:01 PM

Yes, I've had a couple of those moments too, especially the "I'm going to be a mother?!?" moments like you said, Mel. It's weird. Even though her arrival is imminent, it STILL seems really abstract a lot of the time. Like another human being - living with us! How crazy is that?

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#5 of 9 Old 10-27-2005, 08:26 PM

The part about realizing your a mother reminds me of when Kenna was brand new and I was filling out the paper work at the doctor's office. I dutifully wrote in all her info and when it got to the line that said "Mother" I started to write *my* mom's name in the space. After a moment I had an "oh, wait, that's me" thought.

Christa
#6 of 9 Old 10-27-2005, 11:08 PM

Christa- ha ha When we first had ds we had to take him in for several medical tests (nothing invasive just had to follow up on some things found on the u/s prior to the birth)- and they'd come out and call his name and we wouldn't respond- we were like "who?" and then we realized "oh, they mean the baby!!" We just were NOT used to having another human being with his own name and everything! And it was such a long time that I felt weird saying "my son"- just like when you first get married and you're all proud and self concious about saying "my husband"!
#7 of 9 Old 10-27-2005, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've had several amazing moments like that, too. Suddenly it all feels sooo clear, & real. A few days ago it dawned on me that I might be saying "my daughters", plural, soon, & that just rocked my brain. This is all a dream come true... it's hard for me to believe it's actually happening much of the time.

North Idaho rural living treehugger.gif mama to: 22 yo DD, 15 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. stillheart.gif And someone new coming this Christmas! stillheart.gif

#8 of 9 Old 10-28-2005, 12:51 AM

I am right there with all of you daydreaming about motherhood. I keep thinking about holding her and seeing her tiny little hands and feet. Ugh... I can't wait to meet this little baby inside of me.
#9 of 9 Old 10-29-2005, 09:30 PM

Mary, that actually hapenned to me with my dog once at the Humane Society when I first became a "dog mom"! The lady came out into the waiting room and was like, "Fluffy? Fluffy Smith?" (first and last dog names have been changed to protect the paranoid!) and I suddenly realized that they were talking about me and that I had a whole new identity as Fluffy's owner!! It was pretty funny!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page