What are you going to do, GBS+ mamas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-28-2005, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I found out tonight that apparently the GBS has landed upon my FSM body and heavily colonized it without my awareness. I imagine these little green beasties running amok throughout my skin and system, partying it up. Colonizers!

My MW will let me have many options during labor, including:

*No antibiotics at all, just watchful waiting
*antibiotics if I see a problem (temp, 18+ hrs water breaking)
*antibiotics (20 min, butterfly needle, no hep lock) during active labor
*douching with that hibiclens stuff

What will you do, if you test positive or are positive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2005, 10:44 AM

My test is Monday...so I've been thinking about this myself. My preference would be no antibiotics and watch for warning signs but I need to talk to my MW and birth center about their policies.

What are you leaning towards?

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
Old 10-28-2005, 11:30 AM

Evidnetly if I'm +, my MW likes tea tree suppositories. Sounds good to me...
Old 10-28-2005, 11:37 AM

We are testing Thursday. If I'm + I'm leaning towards hibiclens and using antibiotics only if there are other risk factors (i.e. fever, prolonged ROM)

Christa
Old 10-28-2005, 02:23 PM

I had my test on Tuesday but I have this weird feeling that I will test positive. I don't know why I think that though? I will keep you posted and check back for tips if i am positive.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

About the hibiclens - apparently if you're being held hostage by these little colonizers, you also got it in yer rear (why you have to swab there too). And it's all a mix-up when you're in the birth tub or wherever. I didn't read this anywhere, I was just thinking about it...would it really help? Or would I be douching between contractions just for kicks? Bleh.

P.S. Let me state categorically that I will not be douching in my rear under any circumstance. Perhaps you are supposed to? Or not? I'm confused?
Old 10-28-2005, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
FSM, I am so sorry about your + result but I am DYING over here reading your last post.

I just got my GBS test and don't have a result yet. I'll check back in with you if I get a +.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:10 PM

I'm not sure...we're testing tomorrow.

Since I'm not with a 'legal' midwife I won't have access to antibiotics anyway so that's out.

I guess I'd do hibiclens, and she mentioned something about taking extra vit. C to keep the membranes strong so they don't rupture too early, and avoiding vaginal exams. We only talked about it briefly, but I will ask her more spefically tomorrow what my options are.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:11 PM

I'm getting tested next week, and praying for a negative, mostly in event of transfer-which is my main reason for testing, is so that if I do transfer and I have a negative test I won't get unnecessary anti-biotics.

In the meantime I am taking tons of acidophilous, I remember sitz baths being recommended in Natural Pregnancy, and also golden seal as a suppository after 38 weeks, so if I test positive, I'll do all of that and then re-test. Plus whatever my fairly crunchy midwives recommend.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspaghettimama

P.S. Let me state categorically that I will not be douching in my rear under any circumstance. Perhaps you are supposed to? Or not? I'm confused?
Can you say hibeclensenema??

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Old 10-28-2005, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonnabeamom
I'm getting tested next week, and praying for a negative, mostly in event of transfer-which is my main reason for testing, is so that if I do transfer and I have a negative test I won't get unnecessary anti-biotics.
That is exactly why I'm doing the test- b/c in the event of a transfer, and I wasn't tested, they might want to keep the baby to give it antibiotics. So if I'm neg, I can avoid that. And our mw happens to use the lab that our insurance covers, so the test is covered, fortunately.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspaghettimama
About the hibiclens - apparently if you're being held hostage by these little colonizers, you also got it in yer rear (why you have to swab there too). And it's all a mix-up when you're in the birth tub or wherever. I didn't read this anywhere, I was just thinking about it...would it really help? Or would I be douching between contractions just for kicks? Bleh.

I think I understand it to be more like a wash than a douche. I think I've read you just use the peri bottle and liberally squirt it over the entire area...taking care of front and back without any, um, insertion necessary.

Christa
Old 10-29-2005, 01:36 PM

I tested +. I have a friend of mine sending me some tea tree oil supositorys Im going to take & my MW told me to do a hypercleansing which is a benadine cleansing as soon as labor starts

User Tag List