Mothering Forum banner

Braxton Hicks?

723 views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  bec 
#1 ·
Ok, you'd think by the third baby I'd have a handle on things, right? Well, it seems that it's true that every pregnancy and every baby is different!
I didn't have this with either of the other kids, but I've been feeling, off and on, some mild cramping. They feel like AF cramps, and really are very, very mild. Definitely nothing like contractions I have during labor.

So, my question is, are these Braxton Hicks? I never really felt them before, so don't really know if they are or not. I'm 35 weeks, 3 days, btw. And, while I would love to go early, I don't want to go this early!

Bec

See less See more
#2 ·
Bec, I have been wondering the same thing!! I have had some new sensations as of yesterday that I'm assuming are BH, but I just really don't know. Mine are low and feel slightly like menstrual cramps, but also they feel like tightening. They last for about a minute or so. I've only had 3-4 but they are definitely not like anything else I've felt.

Mamas help us figure this out!!

#4 ·
I don't know if the cramping is technically BH, but it is pre-labor type contractions. I don't remember having them before actual labor previously, but this is my 4th and this time I've been getting them since around 35/36 weeks - I'll be 40 weeks on Monday! So they're definitely not a sure sign of going early!

#5 ·
I agree with Kel - I've had them on and off since 20 weeks, stronger in the past two weeks, but definitely not going early around here - 39 weeks tomorrow. The uterus is "practicing" and working out, and makes it more efficient during labor, according to my MW. They happen more commonly when you have to use the restroom, are exercising, or are experiencing intimacy. I just hope it means a fairly quickish labor, which is what I've heard anecdotally.

Just imagine, it's your uterus in the gym, lifting weights and working up a sweat. Imagine your uterus in a little muscle shirt, hotpants, and a headband, looking hot like Jamie Lee Curtis 20 years ago...no, on the other hand, don't imagine that. I think I will have nightmares now. Sorry for suggesting such a thought.

#6 ·
I'm 36wks 4 days...definitely having the AF crampy feeling through lower ab/upper thigh area on a daily basis. Also having the tightening/stomach as hard as a rock kind of contractions. They don't hurt at all, just can be a bit uncomfortable every once in a while when a good one comes along. I think my little man dropped a bit the other night b/c now I'm getting the feeling that someone is trying to use a corkscrew on me *down there* when he's shifting. OUCH! Not to mention the *knife in the vagina* feeling!

#9 ·
My Braxton Hicks feel like menstral cramps. It starts in the back and wraps around my middle like a big hug, slightly painful. I thought that Braxton Hicks weren't supposed to start in your back. I have about 3-4 per day for the last few weeks. I have been having them on and off since 20 weeks. I'd like to think that they are helping to open things up down there. We'll see at my next appointment on Thursday.

#13 ·
Ok, seriously. You ladies are cracking me up! I may be scarred for life with the vision of my uterus with Jamie Lee Curtis hair and a headband! :LOL

My belly isn't getting hard, really, but I am experiencing what Amygirl28 described.

I'm not overly concerned about going into labor too early. But, boy, going around 37-38 weeks would be nice (is that everyone's fantasy?).

Bec

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.