Sharp pain - should I be worried? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-30-2005, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am really in pain this morning not labor-related so far as I can tell. It started last night when I was lying on my right side - I got this sharp stabbing pain near where I assume my right round ligament is. It persisted until I rolled to my left side. It got better but still felt tender and kind of bruised when I pressed on it. I was really worried so I listened to Brynn's heartbeat and it sounded normal. There's no bleeding or discharge so I now think it's nothing to be seriously alarmed about, but it just HURTS!! Nothing seems to relieve it; standing, sitting, walking, lying on either side, it still hurts. I don't think it's related to my placenta either; as far as I know, it's on the upper left side of my uterus.

I may call my doula later today or have one of the midwives paged. I have an appointment tomorrow anyway so at least someone can take a look at me and make sure it's nothing serious. But I don't think I'll be going to the halloween potluck tonight.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 10-30-2005, 11:28 AM

I would guess it's round ligament related...they get alot of stress and strain as the baby gets this big. Or it could be the baby bothering a nerve in there.

It'll make you feel better if you call, though it does sound like everything is okay. Sorry it hurts though...that's not fun.

Christa
#3 of 5 Old 10-30-2005, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Round ligament pain sounds just exactly like that, Amy. I've had round ligament pain at one point or another with every pregnancy. My midwife suggests a magnesium/calcium supplement and applying moist heat for 15 minutes every hour until pain subsides.
I hope you feel better soon sweetie!
#4 of 5 Old 10-30-2005, 02:12 PM

Don't be worried Amy. I had this really bad one night with my second baby, went so far as to call the Dr. cause I was concerned about a placental problem, but she assured me it was just the ligaments stretching, and not to worry unless I started bleeding or running a fever.

I have it a LOT more often with this pregnancy which is very hard cause now I have 2 little ones to keep up with, and it's often not possible to do anything but plop them in front of the TV because I just can't move. I've tried moving throught the pain, trying to ignore it, but that just makes it worse. The best thing to do is lay down and take it easy.

Bethany, mama to M (9), J (7), S (4), and baby BOY 9/13/10!!
#5 of 5 Old 10-30-2005, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas; it made me feel better to know it's not an uncommon thing. It did get better throughout the day, so I'm hoping I just strained it somehow while I was sleeping and everything is OK now.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page