YAY! bp is down! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 11-02-2005, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well good news and bad news. Good news is that my bp is back to normal ranges (rather than the stage 3 hypertension I had yesterday) It's still a little high for what is normal for me, but I'll keep checking it to make sure it stays down. I still probably have pre-e from the other symptoms I have, but as long as the bp stays down I feel comfortable waiting a few more days to see if she'll come out on her own. So no hospital for me (yet) (hopefully I won't need to go at all). Bad news is that I'm still pregnant! This is despite castor oil, cohosh, epo, walking, sex, chiropractor, and just relaxing playing a game with hubby. Not a single contraction. Not one! I was taking the highest dose of cohosh possible (that is still safe) for 6 hours and it did not produce a single freakin contraction! I understand if it doesn't work to get you into full labor, but shouldn't it at least do something? Anything? Well I'll go back to the chiro and I have a accupuncture appointment for tomorrow morning with someone that has lots of experience using it to start labor successfully. I might go to an ob to have them strip my membranes as well. I feel ok about waiting a bit more, but it's still quite risky for her to stay in there. For the sake of both of us, she needs to come out already!
#2 of 18 Old 11-02-2005, 03:21 PM

Location: Driftless Region of Iowa, on a beautiful little farm.
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I'm glad you are ok!
I know *exactly* how you feel though...not a single contraction here. He REALLY likes it in my belly! I have also walked miles, done numerous physical household chores, had sex, I even let DP do nipple stimulation (well, as much as I could stand). NOT A THING. BTW I keep reading about cohosh-what is it?

#3 of 18 Old 11-02-2005, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Cohosh is a root that was first used by the indians for various things including abortions, birth control, and starting labor. There are 2 kinds, blue and black cohosh, most people use them together to get labor started or to increase a weak labor. It is suposed to be pretty effective as long as the baby is at full term and ready to come out (which mine definatly is! grr). It basically stimulates your uterus to contract (like a natural form of pitocin) It is pretty safe too. Some people say it can be risky, but I really haven't seen any hard evidence as to what harm it has actually caused. You can get it at a natural food store but the blue is much harder to find than the black and thats the one that is supposed to be most effective at starting labor while the black is more to make it stronger. I called a few places near me and one did have the blue. It's not too expensive either, under $10 a vial. (the liquid form is the most effective) You said you're facing the hospital induction, you can try the cohosh if youd like. I personally didn't have any side effects of it at all. Didn't start labor for me, but lots of other people have had luck with it. LOL my baby isn't just comfy in there, she's boarded up the windows and is sitting there with a shotgun daring anyone to try and make her come out
#4 of 18 Old 11-02-2005, 03:47 PM

I'm with you two. I have also tried all of the things mentioned above, including black & blue cohosh. No contractions here either. I was due on the 24th. I am also not dilated even a finger tip and my cervix is still thick.

I have an acupuncture visit scheduled for today. Yesterday had a nst and baby is happy as a f#@ckin' clam in there! I am fine too.

My midwife says I have to be induced on Monday, which is when I also risk out of the birth center.

We think our first son left a note: 'they rushed me out one day late with castor oil...give 'em hell!'

Susan~Mama to Atticus (2003), Creeley (2005), Townsyn (2007) and a fourth boy on the way in 2011!
#5 of 18 Old 11-02-2005, 04:42 PM

This must be the acupuncture thread then... mine is scheduled for tonight at 7 pm. : I'm really hoping something happens.

bailey228, did you try an enema with blue cohosh? I did and same thing... nothing happened. My midwives just about fell over when I told them. They said if that doesn't do it then your system just isn't sensitive to blue cohosh as a labor initiator. BTW, could you send me some of your extra blood pressure? Mine is dipping lower and lower (yesterday it was 102/52 and today it's 106/58) and it incapacitates me to the couch. I cant' get up without seeing stars. And lying around isn't exactly the way to encourage the baby out if you know what i mean!!!

Well, to our acupunture endeavors ladies!!!
#6 of 18 Old 11-02-2005, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

yup, did the enema too, and castor oil and pretty much threw everything at my system at once. I don't think my body is very reactive to drugs at all. LOL back in my college days (haha i make it sound so long ago, I was only there for 3 months just last year) I could easily drink a whole bottle of vodka without getting drunk. Only slightly buzzed. At this point, even if I went to the hospital for an induction I don't think pitocin would work on me either. Apparently my body can take anything you throw at it smiling. The only way this baby would ever come out before SHE decides to would be to literally cut her out of me! Sure, you can have all the extra blood pressure you want from me! I literally freaked yesterday when I checked it, it was 201/119! (and no I wasn't freaked out at all, I wasn't even at a Dr's office, my bp always measures higher at the Dr just cause they scare the poop outta me) Normal for me is about 100/70. Right now it's sitting at 120-130/80-90. So it's still a little high, but not scary like yesterday.

mamas2atti- LOL your post cracked me up!
#7 of 18 Old 11-03-2005, 12:32 AM

Anybody hear about taking Hawthorne to lower BP? Don't know what mine is today but it was high last Tuesday then lowered throughout the week. Have not checked it since Thursday though.

Anyone know?

Glad to hear that you are doing better!

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#8 of 18 Old 11-03-2005, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

umm willemsmama, I don't think you took enough bp from me... it's up again Not too dangerous, 145/94 which definatly isn't good but not as severe as it was before. I'm hoping the accupuncture tomorrow will work, I really really really do not want to go to a hospital, but I will if I have to. Doesn't this baby understand that being born at home is so much nicer than being born in the hospital? Seriously, the people that I've told I'm having a UC tell me (if they're not too shocked that is) "oh you're so brave for doing it yourself" NO! I'm a big fat chicken!! Hospitals and Drs scare the crap out of me! We drove by the hospital just yesterday (it's about 2 blocks from my house so I see the damn thing all the time) and I started shaking at the thought of going in there. The ONLY person I trust is my husband, and I know that if I go into the hospital I will almost definatly end up with a c section because there is no way I could allow my body to give birth when I'm that terrified. So, I'm gonna sleep with my fingers crossed that tomorrow's appointment will do something. Hehe maybe I'll try to dream of giving birth to a kangaroo again to start a few contractions. (A little over a week ago I dreamt that I gave birth to my baby and a kangaroo and woke up with a lot of contractions to the point where I almost thought I was in labor, then it stopped)
#9 of 18 Old 11-03-2005, 01:20 AM

Location: Driftless Region of Iowa, on a beautiful little farm.
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Heehee-kangaroo babies!! when I was in high school I used to dream that I was pregnant with kittens, and that my belly was see-through, so you could look at all the kitten embryos!

Here's some good vibes for you bailey228. I hope you get you BP lowered again. You're totally right, hospitals suck. Good Luck!

#10 of 18 Old 11-03-2005, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

Gunter, I hadn't heard about hawthorne at all so I looked it up and found a site about lowering bp during pregnancy http://www.naturalchildbirth.org/nat...prebirth30.htm
which said this about hawthorne "Your friend could try taking hawthorn berry tincture, 20-30 drops three times per day. Hawthorn is a gentle normalizer and toner of the entire circulatory system and can lower high blood pressure. Interestingly it can also normalize low blood pressure. If the blood pressure reading shows an elevated diastole (the bottom number), she may also add passionflower, a sedative to the arteries. You could try 20 drops hawthorn and 10 drops passionflower together, in a little water, three times per day. I don't know how long these herbs take to show an effect. They are both gentle enough to be used during pregnancy."

I also found this on another site " Hawthorne (Crataegus oxyacantha) Hawthorne is an herb known to block an enzyme known as ACE (angiotensin-converting enzyme) that constricts blood vessels. Hawthorne opens up blood vessels that feed the heart, thus increasing energy supply and enhancing the heart's contractions. Hawthorne may be helpful in the treatment of angina and arrhythmia, and in the prevention of congestive heart failure. The herb's primary active ingredient is called vitexin."
#11 of 18 Old 11-03-2005, 11:29 AM

Thanks, Bailey.

I am taking some today. I took 15 drops this morning.

#12 of 18 Old 11-03-2005, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

so did anyone else that was going in for the accupuncture expereince any results from it? I'm actually thrilled because I think it actually did something for me!!! I had a few contractions while I was there then another one while I was at lunch after the appointment, and just now hubby was pressing on the points where the needles were and I got another 4-5 really good strong contractions about every 10 min. Also, sometime before I got home, I think my water broke. I think it's just leaking though...oh, hold on, spontaneous contraction....OH I LOVE it!!! These are some strong contractions but they feel so good after waiting for so long! I think the accupuncture did the trick to jump start my body into labor (haha my hubby just said that I'm an old car, I just need a bit of a push to get going. I'm not suprised, my first car (which I still have) is a 66, I definatly feel a connection to old cars) I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high in case they go away, but I think my baby is FINALLY ready to come out!!!
#13 of 18 Old 11-03-2005, 11:02 PM

Ooh happy birthing, mama!
#14 of 18 Old 11-03-2005, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey228
so did anyone else that was going in for the accupuncture expereince any results from it?
I hope you're still going!

I had a 30 minute appt yesterday. She started with needles and I almost puked and fainted so she pulled them all out immediately. She did some acupressure with her hands and I felt definite twinges in my groin. Then she did some electro. She also put some bandaid looking things with little pins in my endocrine and uterine points in my ears. The endocrine ones both came out this morning.

After the appt I started feeling a little weird so I went to the mall to walk around. I walked for two hours and had some pretty good contractions about 10 minutes apart, but they never got stronger/closer. Then it took me an hour and a half in Phoenix traffic to get to my in laws to pick up my son. Contractions kept up, but moved a little further apart.

When I got home I did nipple stimulation with a Symphony and the contractions stopped. That was it for the night.

I have a follow up tomorrow. Hope to get things going again!

Susan~Mama to Atticus (2003), Creeley (2005), Townsyn (2007) and a fourth boy on the way in 2011!
#15 of 18 Old 11-04-2005, 01:28 PM

Had my 37 week appt. last night. BP was 115/80!!! Yay!!! I took the hawthorne three times yesterday with 15 drops each time. MW suggested I take 15 drops once a day now and I agree.

#16 of 18 Old 11-04-2005, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

I'm glad your bp is down! Mine has been ranging all over the place now, some times very low and I get dizzy other times very very high...It sucks. Well the contractions continued til 1am last night going pretty well, then I fell asleep and they went away . I'm going to keep going with the pressure points trying to get it going again. At least something happened. I'm glad about that, it means that I actually CAN go into labor, now when is the big question
#17 of 18 Old 11-04-2005, 02:19 PM

my last pregnancy i was taking hops and skullcap tinctures 3 time a day prescribed by my MW.. it seemed to really help. this time my BP is okay, im not sure if its because im being really concious of my protein andcalcium intake, or if im just lucky, or what

i hope you find something that works for you

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#18 of 18 Old 11-04-2005, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamafern! I started taking hawthorne (thanks gunter for mentioning that!) and it has seemed to help alot. My bp is still a bit high, but it's stabilized at least. And thank god my contractions came back! We keep doing the acupressure and it's working really well. Just about 1/2 hour ago we did it and I got 6 really good contractions about 1-2 min apart. After we stopped they continued at about 3-5 min so we need to do it again to keep them going, but hey they're going and that's all that matters! I told my husband that he's gonna have to catch her with one hand and squeeze my toe with the other But I love each and every contraction (call me crazy but I actually think they feel really good) and I have some back labor (full posterior little bugger!) but it's not bad (yet..) I think I'm gonna be in labor for the next 3 days, but I don't care, she's finally comming out!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page