It's official... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 11-02-2005, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I am now *pumpkined out*!!!!!

My mother made homemade pumpkin pie last weekend, then I made pumpkin cookies with cream cheese icing and pumpkin/cream cheese rolls last night...mmm! Only now I don't really think I could stomach another *pumpkin* flavored ANYTHING!

I take that back...I could REALLY go for some pumpkin beer right now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 34 Old 11-02-2005, 05:06 PM

mmmmm, me too, that spiced beer- harvest stuff or whatever its called?

as far as desserts- bring on the PECAN PIE!

Sarah- following my bliss, mama to 3 :
Dd to Ds: "Let's have a snack party! I got us chips, and a hammer!"
#3 of 34 Old 11-02-2005, 05:43 PM

Aww now why did ya go and have to mention pecan pie? That is my favorite!! And my mom makes the best pies ever! Thanksgiving seems like way to long to wait for pecan pie now. HAHA one year when I was about 10 or so, my mom had made a whole bunch of pies for christmas and left them cooling on a rack in the kitchen. They were low enough for my dog to reach them, but she didn't even think twice about that, you can set a plate of food in front of her face and she won't touch it unless you say "go ahead Daisy". Well we woke up and Daisy immeaditly came out to see us and she looked sooo guilty! Her tail was between her legs and she kept kissing us like crazy. LOL we got out to the kitchen and there was an empty pie tin on the floor with the plastic wrap peeled off! Smart little booger knew well enough to pull back the plastic wrap before eating the pie. And yup, she had taken the pecan pie. We still laugh about it every christmas, Daisy had just looked so darn cute feeling sick and guilty about eating the pie.
#4 of 34 Old 11-02-2005, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey228
Aww now why did ya go and have to mention pecan pie? That is my favorite!! And my mom makes the best pies ever! Thanksgiving seems like way to long to wait for pecan pie now. HAHA one year when I was about 10 or so, my mom had made a whole bunch of pies for christmas and left them cooling on a rack in the kitchen. They were low enough for my dog to reach them, but she didn't even think twice about that, you can set a plate of food in front of her face and she won't touch it unless you say "go ahead Daisy". Well we woke up and Daisy immeaditly came out to see us and she looked sooo guilty! Her tail was between her legs and she kept kissing us like crazy. LOL we got out to the kitchen and there was an empty pie tin on the floor with the plastic wrap peeled off! Smart little booger knew well enough to pull back the plastic wrap before eating the pie. And yup, she had taken the pecan pie. We still laugh about it every christmas, Daisy had just looked so darn cute feeling sick and guilty about eating the pie.
THAT IS HILARIOUS!!! Our beagle did that with a pineapple upside down cake once! It was on the island in the kitchen...he hopped up there by jumping across from a chair. The next morning, my mom woke up and found Bailey with the same guilty/sick look on his face, tail between his legs, etc.! He ate the entire cake...but flung the pineapple rings ALL OVER THE KITCHEN/LIVING ROOM!!! He hates fruit! It was the funniest thing ever, I swear!

Now I'm going to have to make a pecan pie...mmmmmmm!
#5 of 34 Old 11-02-2005, 06:24 PM

Location: Driftless Region of Iowa, on a beautiful little farm.
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulmommy
I take that back...I could REALLY go for some pumpkin beer right now!
I bought some pumpkin ale for DP at the natural food store, and then watched him drink it like pavlov's dog...mmmm, beer. I esp. miss Orange Cream Ale, and Blue Moon. I just want one

#6 of 34 Old 11-02-2005, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Must you make me droooooooool like that??? A pumpkin porter would be so divine right now. The brew pub where I worked in Denver made a YUMMY pumpkin porter!!!
#7 of 34 Old 11-02-2005, 06:34 PM

haha peacefulmommy, your beagle is named after my pony! LOL hence my name (pony's name and his bday). Ok ok, so he's not a pony, he's a massive horse that acts like an overgrown puppy dog! but he's my "pony" the one I've wanted since I was 2. Hmm.. actually I'm wearing his snot on my shirt right now. (I wouldn't admit that to anyone that doesn't ride or doesn't have kids, having a horse is just as dirty as having a kid!)
#8 of 34 Old 11-02-2005, 06:36 PM

I'm so not a beer fan at all, hubby and I have a bottle of champagne just waiting for this little one to make her entrance so we can celebrate! mmm I miss wine and champagne.
#9 of 34 Old 11-02-2005, 07:04 PM

I second (or third) the pecan pie thing -- one of my absolute favorites -- I did even make a yummy one myself once back in the day when I had time for baking.

OK -- this turns into rant, so read ahead at your own risk (since this seems like a fun thread which has already covered a few topics anyway . . )

Ya know -- having ONE drink at a time, isn't bad for baby -- trust me! Doctors reccommend it to relax after amnio and my midwives suggest it to try to identify false labor and relax. You might want to think of indulging since I bet you would really enjoy it. It seems like we, as Americans, are so absoulitst about some things -- like if a drop of alcohol touches your lips while pregnant, or before you turn 21 say, your life will be ruined, or your baby will have fetal alcohol syndrome -- in Europe they are much more relaxed and normal about this. I don't know how many people have said to me "you're not drinking wine now, right?" with this look on their face like if I said yes, they would be mortified -- instead of just looking at me and my husband and how well we have taken care of me -- going out of our way for healthy foods, and how much of a priority this baby is to us, researching all the options of how we can make this baby's transition to this world as smooth and wonderful as possible, and how we can adjust our lives to give as much attention as possible to baby, etc.
#10 of 34 Old 11-02-2005, 07:12 PM

I'm with plagio on this one. If you want a pumpkin beer so bad, HAVE ONE!

I've had probably one beer every six weeks or so since second trimester. I can't imagine one slowly sipped beer every now and then is going to hurt my baby.

Hmmm, now you've got me thinking about what I want to celebrate with.
#11 of 34 Old 11-02-2005, 07:14 PM

i'm w/ plagio. i've had a few glasses of wine throughout this pregnancy......and would love one of those pumpkin porters.....i'm a wine drinker usually and never tried one, but anything harvesty or with those type of spices sounds so so so good!!

i wish i could afford some wine right now. i bet it would help these stupid headaches i've been getting almost EVERY night.

#12 of 34 Old 11-02-2005, 07:15 PM

haha- nataliekat, great minds, huh? and speaking of des moines, my dh was just there playing last weekend!

#13 of 34 Old 11-02-2005, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Plagio...I agree. I was told by an OB in Colorado that it's fine to have an occasional glass of wine. Also a friend of mine was on bedrest from 23 weeks with twins and was told to drink wine to help relax and keep from going into labor. I haven't touched beer since I've been preggo (not that I wouldn't like to!) but I have indulged in an occasional small glass of red...mmmm! It's done in Europe without even a blink of an eye! I've been dying for a glass lately, but I don't want anything to slow me down if this baby is ready to come out...

Bailey228: I'm sure my Bailey is not nearly as messy as your Bailey...pineapple flinging aside! I wish I lived somewhere that I would have room for horses and such.
#14 of 34 Old 11-02-2005, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey228
They were low enough for my dog to reach them, but she didn't even think twice about that, you can set a plate of food in front of her face and she won't touch it unless you say "go ahead Daisy". Well we woke up and Daisy immeaditly came out to see us and she looked sooo guilty! Her tail was between her legs and she kept kissing us like crazy. LOL we got out to the kitchen and there was an empty pie tin on the floor with the plastic wrap peeled off! Smart little booger knew well enough to pull back the plastic wrap before eating the pie.
Hee - our dog is named Daisy too and is equally reluctant to eat anything unless you tell her it's ok. But we try not to leave too much temptation lying around for her!!!

And sign me up for a pumpkin beer too - that sounds yummy. I've never had one. Although, here we have a local brewer who does a chocolate porter that is about the best beer on the planet... and an espresso stout... and a maple cream ale... worst thing is, my sister used to date this brewer and she ditched him!!!! I still haven't forgiven her for that. He's totally nice and cute and everything too. Grrr. Mmmm beer. Just the thought of it is making me all random.

And for the record, I totally agree with the pp on the whole "one drink is not going to hurt" thing. Only my body won't let me have a whole drink... I can get through maybe a quarter, and then it doesn't taste good anymore and I feel yucky if I try to drink more. Weird. One more reason I reeeeeally want this kid outta me! I've got a fully stocked wine cellar I need to get at!

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#15 of 34 Old 11-02-2005, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

I'm holding off of the pumpkin beer...that will be my celebratory drink of choice when this little man makes his appearance! Until then, I'll still enjoy my occasional glass of red...mmmmmmmmm.
#16 of 34 Old 11-02-2005, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy
One more reason I reeeeeally want this kid outta me! I've got a fully stocked wine cellar I need to get at!
Hee-hee.

babykaoss - Waving from Des Moines!
#17 of 34 Old 11-02-2005, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataliekat
babykaoss - Waving from Des Moines!

back from Omaha. too bad you're not a teensy bit closer!

#18 of 34 Old 11-02-2005, 07:41 PM

While pumpkin beer does sound good, and I have indulged in a few glasses of wine myself, I'd still rather wait until I'm baby-free to drink beer. My family has always praised wine for it's soothing and tranquil properties...but then we are German and in Germany, alcohol is present through every meal! I'm with peacefulmommy, I've been saving my pumpkin ale for my afterbirth party!!

#19 of 34 Old 11-02-2005, 07:42 PM

I could use some pecan pie. And persimmon pudding! Oooh, and STUFFING!!!! I am ready to feast on Thanksgiving fare. :

Oh, and I have started taking to smelling dh's beer before he drinks them now. It smells so good and....hoppy? Yeasty? :::

treehugger.gif Bex -- Single, hardworking mama to reading.gif DS (11), love.gif DD (7), & flowerkitty.gif Lars (13)
#20 of 34 Old 11-02-2005, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

The cooler is next to my packed bag!!!
My best friend is bringing the pumpkin beer...mmm! Counting down the days!
#21 of 34 Old 11-02-2005, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bex80
I could use some pecan pie. And persimmon pudding! Oooh, and STUFFING!!!! I am ready to feast on Thanksgiving fare. :

Oh, and I have started taking to smelling dh's beer before he drinks them now. It smells so good and....hoppy? Yeasty? :::
PERSIMMON PUDDING?! omg omg that sounds sooooooooo good. what is it? i havent had anything w/ persimmons since i was a little kid in cali!

#22 of 34 Old 11-02-2005, 08:19 PM

Does anyone else find it an incredibly evil twist of fate that all of us are still going to be recovering from giving birth right before all the holidays? I've gained 85lbs I really need to loose! (did I really just admit that?!) And with all this pecan pie and turkey and all the other massive amounts of food I'm guaranteed to consume for the next few months after birth, it's just going to make it so much harder to get the weight off. I agree with Plagio as well, a bit of wine won't hurt the baby, but I need to get every contraction I can! I don't want the wine to take away a single contraction, even if it's not labor.
#23 of 34 Old 11-02-2005, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

I find it to be an evil twist of fate the possibility of me having to interrupt my FAVORITE meal of the year, AKA Thanksgiving, to birth this child! I've already had a couple of talks with him in advance...he now knows how many people, mommy included, he would upset if he picks that ONE day out of so many to choose from to be born! He also knows we'd all still love him very much regardless...
#24 of 34 Old 11-02-2005, 08:44 PM

Mmm, thanksgiving dinner!! And I told myself last holiday season I had all spring and summer to work off the holiday weight I gained. Well baby, you had something else in mind for me huh I'm really excited actually-I love spending time with my family over the holidays, and what better way to enjoy a new life! I guess I'll just do overtime on the BFing and hope Finn gains all the weight for me!!

#25 of 34 Old 11-02-2005, 08:56 PM

(This is where Canadians get to feel smug about having Thanksgiving in October. )

But Christmas/Solstice/Winter Holiday is as much of a pig-out fest for us as it is for everyone else. I figure the physical challenge of dealing with food preparation, presents, holiday visiting and whatnot while learning how to breastfeed and care for an infant will burn up any excess calories that find their way into my gullet.

I do feel a significant amount of sympathy for any US mamas who have their Thanksgiving dinners interrupted by labour though. I hope it doesn't actually happen to anyone here! The nerve of some babies!!!! That's not something you're ever likely to let your kid forget. Thirty years down the road, you'd still be reminding him/her that she made you miss pumpkin pie in order to be born...

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#26 of 34 Old 11-02-2005, 09:16 PM

Hadn't thought of that yet -- to tell you the truth, I am getting sick of cookies, sweets, etc. since during the pregnancy I have eaten more than I usually do. I had thought it was good to give birth at the begining of winter so that we have all those months before spring/summer to get into shape. Hadn't thought of the holiday stuff. I wonder what my appetite will be like when BF -- who knows?
#27 of 34 Old 11-02-2005, 10:52 PM

Sarah, persimmon pudding is really tasty! It's a family recipe that my father has always made and I'm not sure what all goes in it, I know 2 cups of persimmon pulp, coconut, and other stuff. I can post or PM you the recipe if you'd like. Where are you now? I'm sure there are persimmons around somewhere! I am in TN and there's a tree in my neighborhood that I have been harvesting from, and I have a girlfriend in MO who has trees near her.

treehugger.gif Bex -- Single, hardworking mama to reading.gif DS (11), love.gif DD (7), & flowerkitty.gif Lars (13)
#28 of 34 Old 11-03-2005, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Bex80: I will gladly trade you a labor cd for a persimmon pudding recipe!!
#29 of 34 Old 11-03-2005, 02:13 PM

mmmmmmmm. that sounds SO good! i'd love the recipe! I'm in Omaha, and haven't seen them or thought about them in years, although i haven't actually looked, so maybe they are available. when are they in season?

#30 of 34 Old 11-03-2005, 05:03 PM

They are in season now! I have seen them in Kroger stores and Farm Fresh too. However, I have only seen the large ones. My friend in MO. says you need the little ones (sbout the size of a large or small cherry tomato). I would check you local Whole Foods or HFS. Also, search to see if you have any orchards or local farms nearby. They may have trees. Here's the recipe :

Grandmother Trexler's Persimmon Pudding

2 cups persimmons
3 eggs
1 3/4 cup milk
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspooon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup grated coconut
1/2 stick butter or margarine

Put dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Add eggs, milk,
and melted butter, mixing as you add them. Finally
add persimmons. Bake at moderate temperature (350
degrees, plus or minus, depending on your oven) about
1 hour. (PS I suggest watching it carefully from
about the 50 minutes time in the oven and baking it
until it is beginning to brown, even if this takes
more than an hour.)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page