Well that hurt! Wow. Ouch! My abs are just starting to hurt and I know by tomorrow it will feel like I was pummeled in the abs by a professional boxer! Imagine a 6ft+ tall, 250lb doctor pushing on your belly with all of his force. He was out of breath!
OK, that said, it didnt work. Oh well. We tried. I had a feeling we were up against odds, since this babe has not budged one bit with all of the home turning techniques I have tried. She likes being right side up, or upside down if you will.
And now the details for the curious: I went in and had to go through full admissions to the hospital since I am not preregistered there at all. Then had to sign away my life in the form of medical waivers. DH had been freaked by the Vag Breech Birth consent form we signed because it had the "cardiac arrest, brain danage or death" line as possible outcomes. I was able to show him today that the Csection, Vag birth and epidural forms all had the same line. Lawyers....
Then it was all the fun I am trying to avoid by having a homebirth. EFM, IV, BP cuff, laying in bed. Blech. It all brought back way too many memories of my induction with my son. And the hospital smell...its still on me.
Baby looked great. After the shot of Terb, the doc did his thing. He tried both ways. I did my best to breath and relax, but come on...when someone is pushing in your belly, your abs just tighten! It was very tough and I tried to be strong, thinking ctx would hurt too!
Afterwards, DH and I asked a bunch of questions about the vag breech birth and they monitored the babe some more. Babe looked great! HR was always normal, great variables, good movement. Butt is more engaged in the pelvis, so the risk of cord prolapse is lessened.
DH feels more comfortable with the birth. I feel very at peace. I feel like we have tried everything and that I have a say in this birth. I am no longer being propelled to a decision I dont want to make. Even though I am fully aware of the fact taht I have a good chance of having a Csection. If it happens, I can deal much better than if I had been backed into a corner, forced to comply.
The doc is supportive of most of the things I push for as a doula - mobility, intermittent monitoring, hep lock as opposed to full IV drip, baby to mama right away, delayed cord clamping, etc. I am going to go ahead and get the GBS test tomorrow, so if I am neg, its one less battle with the hospital.
And now I need to worry about someone taking care of Ben, packing a bag, etc. Its a whole mind shift from planned HB to planned hosp birth (possible section). Anybody need a birth kit and a fishy pool?