Knitting mommas.. you still knittin? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 11-05-2005, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
just curious if im the only one madly knitting away..

im so addicted!

i hope that i can still knit when baby comes.. nurse and knit..as long as i have someone to spoon some nourishment into me once in a while i should be fine..

im working on a cute little dress right now.. the Anouk pattern from knitty.com
its turning out really sweet.. well the half that ive done so far

what are you working on and lets see your finnished projects!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 11-05-2005, 07:02 PM

I'm working on a scarf for Alex's birthday (the skull relief pattern someone posted to the yarn crafts forum a few days ago) and currently struggling to make pompoms for the babys hat, and get buttons sewn on. Pictures will be coming, I promise

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#3 of 22 Old 11-05-2005, 08:07 PM

Just now started a couple of baby blankets (I crochet rather than knit because I lack co-ordination, though)... my friend convinced me that I was a bad mama if I didn't make the little boy a baby blanket out of this fabulously soft eyelash yarn, so I'm madly crocheting away on it even though it's a pain. I'm wondering who is going to beat who into the world -- the baby or the blanket.

(plus, I have a sweater and a eggplant-hat to finish for him, but we'll just leave those out for the moment, shall we? I've lost the pattern to both!)

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
#4 of 22 Old 11-05-2005, 10:14 PM

I just finished crocheting a blanket. I've got a pair of little blue pants on needles, but I haven't touched it in weeks. It's going to have a permanent crimp in it (I don't do the "right" thing and rip back b/c I find it so tedious trying to get everything back on the needles!)

I'm a decent knitter, but not an efficient one. And I'm on a I-don't-wanna-knit kick. Maybe I'll get industrious in the next few days.

Christa
#5 of 22 Old 11-05-2005, 11:13 PM

My needles have been flying, too! I realized that we had accumulated a decent supply of cloth dipes, but that I had only knit THREE soakers in the past several months. So I set to work:

www.geocities.com/treesock/soakers.jpg

Some of these turned out more 3-month size than NB size, but I figure I'll be happy for that come February. I'm hoping to get at least two or three more done before baby arrives I've also done a couple of pairs of booties and two little hats, but those are my "luxury" projects since no soakers = wet laps!
#6 of 22 Old 11-05-2005, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

oooh.. i love the brown ribby wrap and soaker ! the longies are beautiful too! it all looks wonderful!

ill put a pic of the things ive made later

thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#7 of 22 Old 11-06-2005, 01:43 AM

So far I've done 2 sweaters, a pair of booties, mittens, a light cotton hat, a blanket, and I'm almost done with a wool hat; have to put the ear flaps on! I can't stop knitting. My hubby says that's all I do and I'll probably be knitting while I'm in labor!
#8 of 22 Old 11-06-2005, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter

wow momma ! youve been busy!

i havn't done any sweaters and im wishing i had.. but i do have a few nice Nb sized ones that other people have made or that ive found at thrift stores... maybe ill start knitting a sweater that is a bit bigger..for next fall/winter ive been doing pants & soakers mostly..a few hats too

Quote:

#9 of 22 Old 11-06-2005, 10:59 AM

Thanks, Fern! That brown yarn is my favorite I've worked with so far -- it's Full Belly Farm's organic wool, and it's soft, durable, and a lovely chocolaty-heathery brown. I haven't been super pleased with the ribby wrap -- it knits up quick and easy, but the button finishing is a pain, and without the baby here for me to try it on, I keep thinking I'm going to have to re-place the buttons anyway. But I am in love with the curly purly free soaker pattern (the blue/navy soaker). It looks like it will fit great, and also is an easy pattern. Of course what I like and what will cover baby's bum the best may be two totally different patterns! An the Anouk is one of my favorite patterns on knitty! If I had your confidence that I'd be having a girl, I'd be working on one, too!!

Frigga, I love the idea of knitting while in labor. I'm not a fast knitter by any means -- I really have to concentrate on every step besides straight up stockinette stitch -- so I can imagine it would be a good thing to do in the early stages to take my mind off the waiting.

How much fun is it to have a winter baby? I know there are great summer patterns out there, but I'm excited that our wee ones will get to wear so much that we've made ourselves!!
#10 of 22 Old 11-06-2005, 03:00 PM

Oh what I've done isn't that complicated! I'm pretty nervous about taking that leap into cables and such. SO it's all bee straight knitting for the most part, no brainers!
#11 of 22 Old 11-06-2005, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

here are some pics of things ive been working on..

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...11&uid=3617207
(the mama-made ones are made by me.. i do have some wool that ive bought or been given as well on there)

i need to make a few more soakers.. but i want to do some with plain yarn..because the veregated stuff i have right now is way too nice! i guess i need to go to the wool shop!

cables scare me too! but there is the sweetest cabled sweater on knitty.com for babies.. i think im going to try it one of these days!!

Quote:

#12 of 22 Old 11-06-2005, 08:49 PM

Crocheting mama here - I'd like to get a couple more soakers and maybe another pair of longies done. We'll see - I have no complaints if she decides to come first! LOL

I love seeing the pics of your projects! I should probably take some pics this week.
#13 of 22 Old 11-06-2005, 08:53 PM

Don't be intimidated by cables. One of the first things I knitted had cables (and I taught myself to knit). They aren't difficult at all and they look so cool!

Christa
#14 of 22 Old 11-07-2005, 03:20 AM

Snugglebutter: Do you have a good small sized crochet soaker pattern you could share with me? I haven't found one that looks functional yet, and I'd love to give making my own soakers a try -- especially since wool is on sale this week at the yarn store!

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
#15 of 22 Old 11-07-2005, 11:29 AM

Fern, those soakers and wee clothes are ADORABLE! I especially like the apron top. You have a great eye for color. Incidentally, is that the Little Turtle Knits original soaker pattern? It looks like it would be nice and trim. What style soakers have worked the best for Elwynn?

Belleweather, I haven't tried this pattern yet, but since it says you can use a snappi with it, it seems totally worth a go:

http://www.tickleturdle.com/wrappattern.html

And this link's been pretty helpful for me:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ht=punk+soaker
#16 of 22 Old 11-07-2005, 01:20 PM

Whoa fern, and you said I was busy??! You'r doing beautiful work. I especially love the hat!
#17 of 22 Old 11-07-2005, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

its the original soaker and longies pattern.. though ive changed things a bit as i go on both of them.. i like to experiment and i have a hard time following a pattern 100%.. i guess im a rebel

Quote:

#18 of 22 Old 11-09-2005, 01:47 PM

DH thinks I'm crazy for all the knitting I've done in the past 2 months... In less than 8 weeks I have finished a cardigan for the babe, knitted a sweater for my brother, a sweater for my sister, and am currently working on a coat for my mother and a cable knit scarf and hat for my dad! I really want to knit some more stuff for the babe, but I am not totally sure if Isa will be a boy or girl!

also, in case anyone wants to SEE how something is done, (such as cables, which are REALLY easier than you would think) try going to this site:

www.knittinghelp.com

they have free short videos for both english and continental knitters. that's how I learned to knit continental style and how to cable.

I have been spending 5-6 hours a day at our Local Yarn Shop just sitting and knitting with all the girls that come in. They all fuss over when the baby is coming and help me when I get stuck on a project. My needles have been seriously flying lately!

MamaFern, I too hope I can continue to knit after the babe comes... There's so much I want to knit for my little Isa!
#19 of 22 Old 11-10-2005, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter

i just finnished this newborn hat tonight... it took me maybe an hour and a half all together. its sweet and super easy!! now baby can come any time

the pattern is at...http://www.vintageknits.com/babyhat.html

pictures of the one i knit are at...http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...11&uid=3617207

I didnt do the hearts on it because the yarn i used made nice stripes..

Quote:

#20 of 22 Old 11-10-2005, 05:22 PM

I did that hat too...it took me about two weeks

Pictures of my latest stuff:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...t/100_0271.jpg

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#21 of 22 Old 11-10-2005, 07:06 PM

Helen, I can't believe you've been hoarding your talents from us for so long! That set is ADORABLE!!! And please tell me you used a pompon maker on those fluffy bad boys -- if not, if you freehanded them, I'm just going to give up on embellishments now!
#22 of 22 Old 11-11-2005, 02:00 PM

Erm: actually I used three pompom makers. The 6yo, the 5yo and the 30yo: it kept them out of trouble and away out under my feet for several hours (though they were VERY closely supervised.)

Thankyou, though I'm ridiculously pleased with the way it came out

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page