Arnica (pills & gel) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-14-2005, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK mamas (MamaFern specifically, I remember you talking about this a while back), I bought some arnica - both in pill and gel form. Can you help me with how to use it? The pills are "Arnica Montana 30x" whatever that means. It says to dissolve 5 pellets in mouth 3 times a day for up to 3 days. So do I start doing this before my birthing time, or after I've already had the baby?

The gel is pretty self-explanatory. It's an 8% tincture; is that a good amount?

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#2 of 11 Old 11-14-2005, 11:29 PM

im going out to eat some spicy food but ill reply in detail later

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#3 of 11 Old 11-14-2005, 11:47 PM

Can I piggyback on this one? I bought arnica tincture before I realized I was supposed to get the 30c tablets. Then my dh threw away the reciept so I can't return it and it was like $10.

Does anyone know if one can use the tincture as well?

And I have the same ? as Amy- start using whatever form of it after the birth to reduce bruising/pain, or what??
#4 of 11 Old 11-15-2005, 01:19 AM

okay im back..

umm.. the jell or cream is great to rub on your back and belly to help the pain of labour.. it can be used as massage stuff as well.. it makes contractions feel way less intense.. or so i found. the internal arnica..(homeopathic not tincture) can be taken before labour but its especially good for durring and after. my midwife started to give it to me every 10 minutes starting at transition. she said it would help for exhaustion and it really did. she kept giving it to me every 10 mins till i gave birth, then after for about a week. the first day i think i took it every hour and after that whenever i felt like i needed it or 3 times a day. it really helps the healing process.. infact i didnt ever feel sore after birthing elwynn.. we will see this time. as for tincture, im really not sure but i do know that arnica is very poisonus if taken in the wrong quantity ( homeopathics are different because they are very diluted) ive heard you can get pretty sick or even die from the tincture, but you can use it like you use the cream or jell.. i'd just be wary of taking too much internally. does the bottle have a doage? maybe a drop or two is okay and it also depends on the dilution of it as well..

hope that helps

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#5 of 11 Old 11-15-2005, 07:35 AM

Homoeopathic tincture, or herbal?
Either way, it'll still be effective: if you go grab the leaves of the plant and lay them on your yoni, that would still help with any bruising (though not emotional shock.) I'd take one dose as transition hits, one dose after birth and then hourly for the first six hours or until bedtime for that night, then the following morning, lunchtime and evening (this is for homoeopathic- for herbal, prolly every 2 hours.) I'd also add a few drops to some witchhazel for your frozen mama pads, if you are It would also be nice to make a compress for a sore stomach post-birth with, to ease the afterpains. Dosage, based on what I've just googled, is 6-12 drops in a glass.
Because arnica is specifically indicated for soft tissue bruising, it's a fantastic thing to have around with small children.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#6 of 11 Old 11-15-2005, 11:05 AM

wow I had no idea !!! Great info.

My MW with DD used it in a massage oil to my lower back when in labor with DD!
#7 of 11 Old 11-15-2005, 04:42 PM

I took homeopathic Arnica 200c (from my MW) during labor and after birth. Then I took 30c for the first few days like all day long.

Motherease afterpain stuff was awesome, too! Rescue Remedy after the birth was helpful, too. I took a few 200 mg Advil, too the first two days.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#8 of 11 Old 11-15-2005, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Has anyone used the arnica perineal massage oil? I saw some on Birth With Sol and thought that might be helpful?

Desiree

#9 of 11 Old 11-15-2005, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Hey thanks for all of the feedback, mamas! Here's what I've got, to be more specific:

The gel says "homeopathic" and it says it's arnica Montana 1x 8% in a witch hazel base. So obviously it's got good soothing stuff in it.

The little pills say Arnica Montana homeopathic medicine, 30x.

I'll probably just take them with me to my next MW appointment and let her know I've got them, and she and my doula can advise me about proper dosage when the babe is on the way.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#10 of 11 Old 11-15-2005, 11:37 PM

Urgh, I'm so annoyed! The homeopathic pills they gave me at the store are actually St John's Wort, not arnica! (It had the latin name on it and I just looked it up) I do NOT know why I"m having such a hard time finding this!

At this point I may forget it- I have comfrey and witch hazel for the peri bottle, and lavendar oil and olive oil for massaging with, and the ingredients for my herbal bath after the birth- I think that is adequate.

Ok, ? on soaking pads with witch hazel, etc- won't they then be frozen and hard as a rock and uncomfortable on sensitive parts?? How do you make them more comfortable so it feels soothing, or does something frozen and hard typically feel good there?? I didn't do anything like this last time except take epsom salts baths and take advil.
#11 of 11 Old 11-16-2005, 07:20 AM

Ice packs can help on sore bits (especially haemorrhoids and vulval varicosities): swop a cold for a hot for a cold to try and help the circulation. I didn't bother with frozen soaked packs before, just used one of those blue American psycho eye masks, but if I get bored enough before baby gets here I might make a few: I was going to use a couple of bowls to freeze them in a curve, though.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page