potential sign of impending labor (I hope, I hope) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-19-2005, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here is one that is a little less well-known, I think. I experienced this and then googled like crazy to try to confirm if my theory was correct and finally did come across some mention of it.

About 3 days ago I noticed that I had less swelling in feet and hands. I was also peeing more normally, like I was actually losing some water. And the last few nights I have had night sweats. I thought this could be due to the drop-off in hormones at the end of pregnancy and finally I found a few mentions of this on-line. I think I lost a pound or so of water also, because I was weighed at the MWs Tuesday and Thursday and I weighed the same (first time weight has not increased in months) but I was wearing way more clothes and also boots on Thursday, so my body must have weighed less.

Has anyone else had this before labor, and of course what I really want to know is how soon after this did labor start? I know it's a stretch here since it's different for everyone but please humor a desperate mama!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 11-19-2005, 02:30 PM

I will be interested to hear what you learn as well - I was soooo hot last night I slept in almost nuthin. Hmm, maybe I'll weight myself as well today. My MW did say it's normal to lose weight at the end...I've gained about a pound in the past month, but eating like a total pig.
#3 of 10 Old 11-19-2005, 02:57 PM

It's definitely a sign that labour's looming, because Sandra got very excited when the swelling in my feet came down as the month-of-beautiful-birth-stories started... how long, however, I couldn't tell you.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#4 of 10 Old 11-19-2005, 04:11 PM

I lost a couple of pounds the week before my first was born. I also "lost" measurement...went from 39 cm to 38 the next week, I think. I don't remember how long I went from that point, but I didn't make it to the next week's appointment.

Good luck. I'm desperate for some sign that labor is impending...all I got is this very huge belly that contracts every night. :

Christa
#5 of 10 Old 11-19-2005, 04:42 PM

nak- hope it's a good sign!!
#6 of 10 Old 11-21-2005, 04:42 PM

It's definitely a sign that your hormone balance is changing. I know at the end of pregnancy, your body goes from having a progesterone to an estrogen dominance. The night sweats thing is something many women do not experience until after the baby but I know that

a) weight loss or lack of gain
b) swelling going down
c) night sweats

are all part of that water loss at the end of pregnancy. Unfortunately, I do not know how long between this and before labour actually starts.

Other signs (just for fun)

a) increased BHs, stronger, longer, at times regular
b) bloody show
c) mucus plug - could be clear, bloody, pink, dark, thick and plug like, thin stringy bits.
d) dramatic change or increase in cervical mucus (may be because of the hormonal changes or be the mucus plug
e) baby dropping, lightening, engagement, measurement smaller, less heartburn, easier to breath etc... (all related)
f) irritable mood, elated mood, nesting instinct, sleepness, renewed energy

These are some of my favourite things!!

Anyhow, there seems to be women who have one or more of these symptoms and go into labour within hours and others that have all of them and don't go into labour for weeks.

Dilation and Effacement is the same. Generally 4cm and thin means labour is imminent but not always... Darn it all!

Good luck to everyone!
#7 of 10 Old 11-22-2005, 05:28 PM

Oh I forgot,

Add

Loose stools, flu like feeling, just not right, throwing up and even a runny nose!

That's all I know.
#8 of 10 Old 11-22-2005, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

man, I have a lot of those signs -- for some time, but no real contractions or labor!
#9 of 10 Old 11-22-2005, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by offpill
Oh I forgot,

Add

Loose stools, flu like feeling, just not right, throwing up and even a runny nose!

That's all I know.
Whoa, minus the actual throwing up, that is exactly how I felt last night & today. Plus I have the insane adrenalin, nesting thing. I haven't had that at all this whole pg. I just keep saying "I feel so weird."

Good luck getting your labor groove on soon Plagio! Isn't obsessing over every single thing our bodies do, FUN??

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#10 of 10 Old 11-23-2005, 07:45 AM

Found another one in 'Active Birth':

shaky or shivery though apparently this generally happens in early labour as a way of releasing tension.

Still waiting...

User Tag List