Noah Sage is FINALLY here!!!!!!! BIRTH STORY & PICS ADDED - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 12-10-2005, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey mamas...first of all...THANK YOU SOOO MUCH for all of the support! I was right, Wednesday was our day, and it was the most perfect, beautiful, AMAZING day of my life! I get tears in my eyes when I think of how magical our birth went and I can't wait to tell you all! Right now Grandma is hanging out with the little guy for a minute and I can't wait to get back to him, so I will post my story tomorrow. I just wanted to let you all know we are happily at home now, and Noah is nursing like he invented it! One thing...my friend that posted my announcement for you guys...SHE IS SUCH AN AMAZING PERSON, and she made our experience just SO much more beautiful! I truly am blessed! Ahhhh...and his stats:

Noah Sage
Born 12/7/05 7:26 pm
8lbs 6oz
21 3/4" long

Be back very soon!!!

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3.../MVC-004BW.jpg

Here's our LONG birth story...Sunday I had decided to try to help things along a little bit, since based upon my most reasonably accurate due date I was now eight days overdue. I braved 2tbp of castor oil around 4:30 pm and started running for the bathroom around a half hour later. After five hours of bathroom trips and swearing to never do that again, contractions started up. Around 1am they were regular enough and painful enough that I had decided perhaps it was time. Needless to say we spent hours in the hospital birthing center for a false alarm that night and got sent home at 100% effaced and only dilated to ALMOST 2cm. Basically my effacement was the only thing that changed through that torture! Monday and Tuesday were pretty uneventful…contractions on and off, but being wiser now I waited until they petered out. Tuesday I went to the natural market and got homeopathic forms of black and blue cohosh and started taking it around 1pm. It was making my contractions fade together so that they never let up, but they were still not getting stronger or more patterned. I eased off of the cohosh a few hours later so that I could sleep through the night, but it didn’t work out so well. I ended up waking up for every one of those few and far between contractions throughout the night and had to walk through several of them. By morning, though, they had petered out again so I took a few more doses of cohosh before noon. I had noticed when I first woke up, though, that I was a little wet, but waved it off to a weak bladder or something! In hindsight, I realize my water had actually broke and I was just in denial! Around 1:00 or 1:30, my sister and I were sitting around playing Yatzee when she noticed contractions getting more frequent. I started timing them again, and they were 5 minutes apart and I was definitely noticing a strengthening in them. This is where it all goes by fast! By 2:00 I was REALLY having to breathe through them, but still unwilling to believe that this might ACTUALLY be IT! 2:30…I can’t walk or talk through them and have to REALLY concentrate. At this point my sister and mom decided that it was time…especially since I would need at least a dose of antibiotics because of GBS+…so we headed out. We arrived at the hospital around 3pm. They weren’t sure they were going to admit me to my birthing room because when I got to the hospital I was only dilated to 3cm. It was a little scary at first because that meant they weren’t getting my tub filled or anything yet and at that point I could tell things were happening quickly. By the time they administered the first round of antibiotics (they wanted to do two rounds four hours apart…HAHAHA) I was dilated to 5cm. That’s when they started to get my room ready…FINALLY! I was starting to get really impatient because I just wanted to try to relax while laboring and couldn’t really do that where I was at that moment. My room was finally ready and the tub was almost full. I didn’t really want to get in the tub just yet after all, and found that I was most comfortable on my side on the bed. At that point in time, I was going into a pretty deep meditation in between contractions. There were a couple of times that I felt myself slipping and losing ground, but the OB that was with me was AMAZING and really helped me stay focused through those rough spots. My mom was amazing, too…helping me breathe through the entire experience. While laboring on the bed the contractions were getting SO intense that my water would just gush at the end of each one. Lisa, one of the midwives had told me that she didn’t want me getting into the tub until I was at least 6cm. By the time she checked me again, though, I was already at 9cm!!!!! I decided to get in the tub, finally, and the back pain that I was having almost immediately disappeared! My dear friend, Kim, was the brave soul who jumped in the pool with me without hesitation. She was rubbing my lower back, my sister was rubbing my head (orgasmic, let me tell you!!!) and my mother was helping me breathe and lending me her hands for some serious squeezing. The midwives and OB were at the other side of the tub helping me through. Any time things started to spiral, I held my mom’s hand and looked into Dr. DiCarlo’s eyes, and they both coached me through and pulled me back. It seemed like I was in the tub no time at all before they told me it was time to start pushing. I let my body take complete control and only helped push when it told me to and rested in between. I pushed for a total of maybe an hour. I just remember one point in time thinking (and asking!) I know where his head is!!! Is it OK there???? I had really needed to rest between pushes and it just felt ODD to leave the poor guy hanging out with his face and head all squished that way!!!!! I reached down and felt his head each time I needed strength to get through another push. Finally, at 7:26pm, I decided to give him that one last bit of a push to bring him into my arms. It was a truly overwhelming sensation to finally have him upon my chest. He was VERY vocal right away…he had plenty to say to mom about keeping him in the birth canal for so long!!! He was a breastfeeding champ immediately, never even giving me a chance to feel nervous about it!!! I ended up having to get a shot of pitocin afterward because I was bleeding pretty heavily (to the point of feeling lightheaded) and nursing wasn’t doing enough to keep my uterus contracted to stop it. When Noah was born, the OB and midwives all had tears in their eyes and were SO excited to have been a part of what they claimed was one of the most wonderful and “in control” births they had ever experienced. Makes me so proud to say that I brought Noah into this world EXACTLY how I had planned and hoped! I DID IT!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 12-10-2005, 02:50 AM

:

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#3 of 21 Old 12-10-2005, 07:46 AM

HOORAY!!!!!!!! It's about time, Noah! So happy that you had such a blissful birth experience peacefulmommy!!

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#4 of 21 Old 12-10-2005, 12:47 PM

Welcome Noah!
#5 of 21 Old 12-10-2005, 01:48 PM

(I promise, this is the only time I'll say this: I TOLD you he'd be long...)

Congratulations! Welcome to motherhood

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#6 of 21 Old 12-10-2005, 11:48 PM

Peacefulmommy, congratulations!! My baby boy was born at 7:26 p.m., too! Welcome to Noah!
#7 of 21 Old 12-11-2005, 12:24 AM

Congrats mama!!! I am so happy for you! Welcome baby Noah!!!

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#8 of 21 Old 12-11-2005, 01:40 AM

Congrats and welcome baby Noah!!! I'm looking forward to hearing about your wonderful experience!

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#9 of 21 Old 12-11-2005, 08:33 PM

So happy for you! Great to hear it was amazing, and can't wait to hear more about it!!
#10 of 21 Old 12-13-2005, 12:31 PM

Congratulations!

Christa
#11 of 21 Old 12-13-2005, 03:06 PM

What a great story Sounds like you had a marvelous birth team and they supported you in just the right way.
#12 of 21 Old 12-15-2005, 02:06 PM

He is gorgeous, mama!! Congratulations to you and your family, beautiful birth story as well. Did you use your CD??

treehugger.gif Bex -- Single, hardworking mama to reading.gif DS (11), love.gif DD (7), & flowerkitty.gif Lars (13)
#13 of 21 Old 12-15-2005, 03:02 PM

He is sooooooooo beautiful!!!! Congratulations!!! Your birth story was so touching it brought tears to my eyes. I"m so happy that all went so wonderfully well for you.
#14 of 21 Old 12-15-2005, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Bex...Are you kidding...I didn't even have time to think about music it all went so fast!!! I enjoyed it afterward, though! How about you???
#15 of 21 Old 12-15-2005, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Awwww...thanks Attached! It gets me all weepy thinking about it!
#16 of 21 Old 12-15-2005, 09:00 PM

Hooray! Noah Sage is here! Our next AP meeting, there will be some babies!

Congratulations on such a wonderful birth experience! It makes me all teary too! I send you love and joy! Enjoy your new son!
#17 of 21 Old 12-16-2005, 02:44 PM

Congratulations. Glad to hear the castor oil worked for you. All I did was poop and poop, and poop some more. Enjoy your little baby.
#18 of 21 Old 12-16-2005, 04:47 PM
Banned

What a cute baby!
#19 of 21 Old 12-16-2005, 04:56 PM

How very sweet it is..Thanks so very much for sharing
#20 of 21 Old 12-17-2005, 09:51 PM

He is SO HANDSOME! He is really beautiful! Congrats again. I can hardly wait to meet him!
#21 of 21 Old 12-19-2005, 07:58 PM

Sorry it took me so long to reply, mama....

I didn't use the CD, I only got through 1, and it was Norah Jones. It was starting to repeat around transition and I had dh turn off the music then. I know what you mean about not really having time/being able to think about stuff like music. It's like all the attention is focused on getting the babe out!!

I still listen to it it, though, and thank you for sending it. You have been such a sweetheart. I hope that I can get it together enough to keep in touch, as I think you are super!! Is there another forum where everyone from this DDC is meeting? I remember someone posting at some time about Life with A Babe...but I am only getting online right now about once a week.

Anyhoo, sorry to get OT, but I didn't want to leave you hanging!

Again, your new one is so handsome!!!

treehugger.gif Bex -- Single, hardworking mama to reading.gif DS (11), love.gif DD (7), & flowerkitty.gif Lars (13)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page