Elliott Jude is here! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-10-2005, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here is the very abbreviated version, as I only have a moment to post....

After a week of contractions and eight days past my EDD (the exact same as for DD!), real labour started around 10pm December 1st. Within hours, I was off to the hospital...the ctx were only 2 minutes apart, sometimes less, and were far more intense than with DD. I was hoping for a VBAC with no interventions, but when my dr suggested an epidural to slow down the contractions (my uterus was hypercontracting -- I felt like a cow with mad cow disease, as the contractions made me completely lose control of my body), I agreed. Even the epidural didn't take away the pain though, and it was a pain unlike anything I'd experienced with DD...I felt like I was repeatedly being stabbed in the gut. By 6am, I'd spiked a fever, and it kept rising. I was a little out of it at that point, and having to focus and breathe through the contractions even with the epidural. By 9am, the baby's heartrate was starting to decelerate on contractions, which were still incredibly strong and intense. The epidural hadn't slowed them at all, and my uterus was still hypercontracting. Yet, I was only dilated to 5 cm, and had been there for eight hours. With my fever still rising, and now with gushes of blood with each contraction, we made the decision to go ahead with a c-section.

As soon as the dr opened me up, she discovered that I'd developed a "window" in about one-third of my original c-section scar, and that 1/2 of that window had started to rupture. If they hadn't done the surgery at that time, things could have turned out very differently for the baby and I.

Elliott arrived at 11:12am, weighing 8lbs 3oz. He had aspirated a considerable amount of meconium, and his right lung wasn't inflating properly. There was also a problem with the cord -- veins were reversed or something, I can't quite explain it properly -- but all is well. He was taken to the NICU for most of the afternoon, but was brought to me to nurse (which he's such a pro at!).

So, there you have it. I did all the research, prepared myself as best as I could for VBAC, but my body had different ideas. You know, it's funny, but for the last two months of my pregnancy I had this sense that something was wrong with my incision. It was really painful, for one thing, but it was just a sense I had. Still, although I'm disappointed about the VBAC in one sense, I have no regrets. There were a lot of factors at play here, and this was just the way the universe meant it to happen.

Elliott is gorgeous, and we're adapting to being a family of four. Ainsley adores him, which is a relief, although she is pretty upset about having had me away from her for four nights.

I'm so glad to finally have him on this side of the womb!
#2 of 11 Old 12-10-2005, 03:20 PM

Congratulations & thank God you both are happy & healthy!!!! Sometimes we are shown that we just aren't in complete control like we'd like to think we are, eh? It sounds like you two are recovering well...enjoy your babymoon!!!
#3 of 11 Old 12-10-2005, 10:45 PM

Hooray for Elliiot Jude's arrival! Congratulations Jellyfishy!
#4 of 11 Old 12-11-2005, 01:20 AM

Welcome baby! Easy healing mama! Congrats!
#5 of 11 Old 12-11-2005, 01:24 AM

Elliot is a great name! Congrats!

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#6 of 11 Old 12-11-2005, 01:28 AM

Congrats!!!

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#7 of 11 Old 12-11-2005, 02:54 PM

Congrats and Welcome baby Elliott! Glad you are both home and doing well now

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#8 of 11 Old 12-11-2005, 07:36 PM

Welcome Elliott! Definitely sounds like the c/s was needed and your intuition was right! So glad you and the babe are healthy and safe!
#9 of 11 Old 12-13-2005, 11:29 AM

Congratulations! Glad you are both okay.

Christa
#10 of 11 Old 12-14-2005, 03:38 PM
Banned

Congrats!
#11 of 11 Old 12-15-2005, 08:03 AM

I'm glad you're both safe and well. Funny how sometimes we know things intuitively, isn't it?

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page