Enlarged thyroid? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-14-2005, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my first appointment today! I am around 12-13 weeks or so and my OB said that my thyroid feels slightly enlarged. She said that it isn't uncommon during pregnancy and that we should do additional blood work another time to check it. She didn't seem overly concerned though.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? I seem to remember noticing it with my other pregnancies, but come to think of it, the other OBs never actually checked/palpated my thyroid. Should I be concerned? I should mention that my mom had to have her thyroid removed a couple of years ago because she found several lumps that she was told were "precancerous." Two of her sisters are on Synthroid as well. Is there anything I could be doing nutrition-wise to help with this?

Thanks, mamas.
#2 of 7 Old 06-14-2005, 04:30 PM

I have hypothyroidism and am on a generic for synthroid. She probably was referring to a goiter (which is an enlarged thyroid)...This is common with hypothyroidism. I am only 10 weeks along, but at my 8 week appt they found that they had to up my dosage because my hypothyroidism wasn't being controlled anymore, which is common during pregnancy...I had suspected it because my hair started falling out more than usual which is a symptom...Do you have this problem too? You'll probably want to have her check to see if you have antibodies to your thyroid too...That would indicate Hashimoto's disease...Not a big deal, but if you don't have irregular tsh levels but have antibodies, you still need to have it controlled by meds....
Nutrionally, you should avoid soy because it is bad for people with thyroid problems. Other than that, there is nothing you can do nutrionally to control your thyroid levels.
#3 of 7 Old 06-14-2005, 04:34 PM

I think thyroid changes are pretty common during and after pregnancy. I wonder if your ob is being alert to these problems, whereas I understand it can be somewhat difficult to get an ob to test it.

Also, I think thyroid problems after pregnancy can cause breastmilk supply problems after pregnancy. If you know you have a wonky thyroid, file that fact away in case you struggle with supply.
#4 of 7 Old 06-14-2005, 05:11 PM

I actually had no problems nursing my ds after my first pregnancy...I was diagnosed 6 mos after I delivered ds...In fact, I had a really large production of milk. As long as you are being monitored by your dr, you should have no problems nursing...I am still nursing ds and he is almost 29mos, and I am 10 weeks along...but experiencing thyroid problems again.
#5 of 7 Old 06-14-2005, 05:15 PM

yes, it is common for the thyroid to become enlarged. I assume she did some bloodwork? I have to have a thyroid scan, but am waiting until after delivery. I have hypothyroidism and Hasimotos disease, but my levels have been great during this pregnancy. I am taking the natural thyroid, Armour. Good luck, it is always good to have it looked at, and supplement if needed, you can have problems in the pregnancy if your levels are off, plus you feel like crap! Make sure your OB is up to date on the latest numbers and recommendation. many, many are not and are not treating soon enough. Mary Sholomon (sp?) has a great site with the newest up to date info.
#6 of 7 Old 06-14-2005, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2Tristan
As long as you are being monitored by your dr, you should have no problems nursing.
Thanks, that's what I meant. If it's uncontrolled, it can cause supply problems, but if it's controlled it should have no adverse effects.
#7 of 7 Old 06-15-2005, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

I think I'll get the bloodwork done as she recommended. Good to know about the possible milk supply issue as well. (With my last two, I had MORE than enough milk for several babies :LOL )

Thanks for the quick responses, mamas!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page