Checklist: What to buy/do before baby arrives?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 08-02-2005, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are you starting to think about all the things that need to be gotten ready before your baby arrives? We're halfway through the pregnancy - eek!

Here are some things I have in mind to get or do before the birth. Please share your "to do" list so I know what I'm forgetting - thanks!

To buy (or request at baby showers):

Dresser
Changing table
Toy chest
Cloth diapers
Organic clothes detergent
Baby clothes
Sling(s)
Nursing bras
Digital camera for sharing baby pics w/ family
Baby Signs book

To do:

Decide which brand of cloth diapers to get
Figure out how to make all-natural baby wipes
Make extra meals and put in the freezer
Find out what goes in homebirth kit and put kit together
Think of snack foods to have on hand during labor and stock up
Make birth announcements in advance and address/stamp envelopes
Finish crocheting baby blanket
Baby-proof house (electrical sockets, toxic cleaners, etc.)
Clean out spare bedroom for baby furniture to go into
#2 of 29 Old 08-02-2005, 07:53 PM

I do want a couple of things - a new sling and a Maclaren stroller. We have the umbrella one for DD, but I want more of a "baby" one. I'm also thinking of getting a glider but can't decide. Any opinions?

We already have most of the stuff but I do want to do baby annoucements combined with a Christmas card. So will need to set that up ahead of time and then just send in a picture.

I need some diaper covers but have all the other stuff. I'll make some new cloth wipes for this bean as well. Fun project! I also wanted to make a batik baby quilt, but realized that it's probably out of my reach considering I've never quilted before!
#3 of 29 Old 08-02-2005, 07:57 PM

oh i haven't even started to think about this. we're not getting any additional furniture or big things. we'll get clothes and diapers and some baby essentials like desitin, oil, etc, but most of that stuff i already have from DS.

i do want to say that you really won't need the babyproofing stuff for a while. with a newborn, you don't have to worry so much about electrical sockets...they can't really move yet. LOL just letting you know that if something's gotta give time-wise, that should be the first to go for now.
#4 of 29 Old 08-02-2005, 08:02 PM

finish painting baby room
get more diaper covers/make more
declutter home/ sell stuff, give stuff away, get rid of stuff
make/free dinners (how long ahead of time can we do this?)
get rid of Simese cat (dont feel too bad about it; we have 2 others that are great; this one is anti-social)
go over birth plan w/ dr. and hubby so they really UNDERSTAND my desires
need to decide on sling
qualify for TP so i can actually be a real "participant" in MDC!!!!
organize attic clothes for middle child for winter/spring
get chimney guy out to line chimney
get ton of wood stacked on 3 season porch before winter
beg, beg, beg hubby to replace carpet in kids room with wood floors!!
etc. etc. etc.
#5 of 29 Old 08-02-2005, 08:33 PM

To do:
Get sewing machine serviced.
Make this carrier
Help DH make a customized cosleeper (we've got a kinda weird bed arrangement)
Organize clothes, diapers
Pick up the rest of the hand-me-downs from ILs
Make freezer meals
Make (knit or sew) a baby blanket just for DS
Take care of all Christmas and friends' baby gifts long in advance....

To buy:
winter clothes (all hand-me-downs are coming from spring/summer babies)
Birth kits stuff
Wet bags (might move this to "to do" column and make them myself)
A few more nursing bras.
#6 of 29 Old 08-02-2005, 08:56 PM

Wow, I haven't thought too much about this at all! Um...

To buy:
Used infant car seat (yes, yes, I know if could have been in a accident and then considered unsafe, but I'll freakin' ask the people before I buy it!)
1-2 new nursing bras

To do:
Get birth kit together (need something pretty to tie the cord off with, some more postpartum bath, homeopathics, and I think I have everything else.)
Go through newborn clothes, sorting into GN/Boy/Girl.
Keep doing swaps for newborn items I think I need.
Wash newborn diapers and the first outfit.
Stock up on food

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#7 of 29 Old 08-02-2005, 09:20 PM

Mind if I interject?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taedareth

To buy (or request at baby showers):
Organic clothes detergent

Now, what are your concerns over regular detergent? Will you switch all your laundry to organic clothes detergent? I'm a low maintenance mama, so the idea of having different detergents (one being much more expensive) is not something I'd be gung ho about. I'm just wondering what your reasoning is.

Quote:
To do:
Figure out how to make all-natural baby wipes

If you're doing cloth anyway, I'm thinking you're talking about cloth wipes? Is this right? You can either buy them or make them. If you sew, it's VERY easy. Buy some of the fabric you want -- organic, velour, sherpa, hemp, flannel or get scraps of other clothing you already have. They all have different benefits. I find that the velour is more expensive but holds up better and is VERY soft! If you're really into organic you can even get organic velour these days. Now, as far as wipe solution goes, you can either use plain water or you can follow the basic recipe:
Wet Wipes Solution Recipe:
3 cups water
2 Tbsp baby shampoo or baby wash
1 Tbsp baby oil
1 air-tight container with a tight-fitting lid, sized to hold your cloth wipes
1 large plastic jar or squirt bottle (old ketchup or mayo container)

Pour the water, baby shampoo and baby oil into the large plastic bottle or jar. Shake well. Place cloth wipes into the air-tight container and squirt or pour the wet wipes solution as needed. Close the air-tight wipes container tightly, so they do not dry out.

Consider a few optional ingredients. Add a few drops of your favorite essential oil for fragrance. Lavendar is known to soothe. Tea tree oil is known for its natural anti-bacterial, anti-fungal properties. Or add some vitamin E or aloe vera to sooth irritated skin. It's your custom wipes solution - it's up to you!

Quote:
Find out what goes in homebirth kit and put kit together
If you're using a MW she'll tell you what she wants you to get. A lot of MWs have their own tailored kit available to order through their favorite homebirth supplier. Here are different places to buy supplies from, http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/supplies.html#Where But really talk to your MW about what she prefers. It's silly to buy a big kit only to find out that she doesn't like 1/2 of it and instead wants to you to buy a whole bunch more stuff.

Quote:
Baby-proof house (electrical sockets, toxic cleaners, etc.)
Good call on toxic cleaners, esp in carpets. You have LOTS of time to do the electrical sockets, drawers, etc -- I'd certainly ask for the safety items at your showers, but just dont' stress about putting them all in. No big deal. Sometimes it's actually easier to see what your baby will want to do than trying to envision what he/she will get into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girrlie
I do want a couple of things - a new sling and a Maclaren stroller. We have the umbrella one for DD, but I want more of a "baby" one. I'm also thinking of getting a glider but can't decide. Any opinions?
Well, for slings I like (and trust me, I've tried a TON!):
http://www.theslingset.com/ (made by hotslings) I just LOVE their pouch. I'm not big into the whole system, but the pouch is great and so stretchy! Just make sure you get the right size. Measure and then go for the smallest size for a good fit. So comfy and compact.
http://www.kangarookorner.com/k_shop...s_custom.shtml The adjustable fleece pouch is just WONDERFUL. It's stretchy and warm. Perfect for winter babies!
http://www.mobywrap.com/ Is a WONDERFUL wrap. It's like still being pregnant when you wear a newborn in it. Only problem is that it takes some effort to put on.

For strollers:
We're BIG walking people, so my stroller and my sling are worth their weight in gold. Depending on how old your DD is and how much walking you do, you might consider a double stroller. The Maclaren certainly gets good reviews. I don't have one personally though.

For a glider: I know a lot of people LOVE their gliders. I was too tall for the one that we got though. So, make sure you practice with it for a while in the store & make sure the armrests are padded enough for heavy babies for prolonged times. I have an overstuffed rocking chair that I prefer to the glider I have. But really, I think it's just a better fit.

Whew, do I ever have opinions tonight! You can all tell me to shut up for sure!!!! :LOL

#8 of 29 Old 08-02-2005, 09:20 PM

Ug. Carseats. Them too. Ick, and we're a two car family now. Yikes.
#9 of 29 Old 08-02-2005, 09:25 PM

Wipe solution. We've never used anything by plain 'ol water. Nothing else.

Wipes: We started with cut-up t-shirts. They work great. We've since collected some of the fancier cloth wipes which are better for toddler poops, but the t-shirts were the best for wiping off the pees.

What you'll learn about me though, is that I generally consider simpler to be better. I can take that to extremes at times...
#10 of 29 Old 08-02-2005, 09:30 PM

Remember the days when parents just held their babies on their laps as they drove? Remember those days? Oh, and it was LEGAL to do so!

I read a study that I wish I could find that compared data about babies injured in car accidents. The numbers found that less babies were in car accidents before the regulated use of car seats. (the researchers hypothesized that it was due to parents being extra careful while driving knowing that their baby was helpless in the car floating around.) Also, they stats showed that even though the car seat babies were in many more accidents of those accidents, the percentage of fatal infant injuries were less. So... basically, the correlation is without car seats there are fewer accidents with a higher rate of mortality for those accidents. Whereas car seated babies have much higher numbers of accidents, but of those accidents less mortality associated with them.

Golly, I don't think that made a lick of semse/ I'm being pawed here by Cicely. She's ready for BED... NOW!

#11 of 29 Old 08-02-2005, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz
Wipe solution. We've never used anything by plain 'ol water. Nothing else.
We use plain water, too. : Works just fine!

#12 of 29 Old 08-02-2005, 09:48 PM

I need to:
-buy a new carseat (I'm leaning towards the Evenflo Triumph 5)
-buy a new car (we've been carfree for over a year, but with two kids it'll be too hard)
-buy pool, hose, and pump for birth
-buy plastic sheet for bed for birth/baby/postpartum messes
-get new dresser for kid's room so all their clothes will fit
-paint living room and dining room because the walls are filthy
-get through fall semester
#13 of 29 Old 08-02-2005, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottmama
-get through fall semester
Good point. I started on that task yesterday: All lectures, labs and homework assignments will be done before the first day of classes. I'll need to archive them somewhere so that the TA will be able to pick them up at a moment's notice if the baby comes early. Eeeek, I gotta find all the blasted rocks for the labs, too. So far I have the syllabus done and most of the first lecture (out of 27).
#14 of 29 Old 08-02-2005, 10:32 PM

To do:
We're sort of in the midst of a major project here - having our (detached) garage and driveway demolished to make room for a back yard, having the yard ripped up and an irrigation system put in along with new sod, building a back deck/patio area and putting in doors from family room to patio, getting rid of our water heaters to replace them with one tankless one which means moving the gas lines and the plumbing, putting up a fence around new backyard and putting in lots of Florida-friendly landscaping. And I really want all this done before baby comes! The demo is happening on the 18th of this month then we can hopefully kick it into high gear and get everything else finished. We'll see. This has all been a major ordeal because we live in an historic district so everything we do has to be approved by the preservation board - which takes forever. Anyway - that is my MAJOR stressor right now as far a to do list goes.
Other than that, I need to figure out what I'm doing for birth announcements and do as much ahead of time as I can. Same with Christmas cards. And I need to figure out what I'm going to do for Jake's bday (Nov 24) and again get as much done now as possible.

To buy:
double stroller - i think i'm going to get a double jogger to use for our around the neighborhood walks and keep the single one for Jake with Lucy in a sling for everything else
birth kit stuff
That's really it besides little things like onesies, etc. I kept a lot of Jake's stuff and we've already totally done the "nursery" (always makes me laugh since Lucy won't set foot in there I'm sure until she's who knows how old but I can tell you that my 4 year old niece thinks she died and went to heaven in there)
#15 of 29 Old 08-02-2005, 10:35 PM

[QUOTE=Spark]Remember the days when parents just held their babies on their laps as they drove? Remember those days? Oh, and it was LEGAL to do so! QUOTE]

Funny! My mother talks about driving around with us on her lap nursing. How many times when you're in the car with a crying baby do you wish like hell you could do that??!
#16 of 29 Old 08-03-2005, 12:05 AM

I used the 1 million baby washcloths that I was given at showers for wipes, and just plain water. I have a changing table in the bathroom so I just lean over, turn on the water, and go from there. I found that regular washcloths were just too thick, but the baby ones are just right, even now with the toddler poop.

To Buy:
double stroller at some point
car seat for Julia (moving her to a marathon and giving her roundabout to the baby)

To Do:
Make a new fleece pouch (never got my old one back after lending out)
Make a new cotton pouch (lost my old one)
Knit a few more wool soakers
Knit some booties in different sizes
Find material to make a wrap (slightly stretchy)
Declutter/seriously clean house (because who knows when I'll get the chance to clean again!)
Find recipes to freeze for the first few weeks
#17 of 29 Old 08-03-2005, 12:56 AM

To do:

Sleep.

To buy:

Ask me after I wake up.

Phaeon :yawning: wishing I could get some
mama to Sammy-girl 04-25-2004
Soon to be Mother to Another (Dec '05)
#18 of 29 Old 08-03-2005, 02:05 PM

This is my second baby, so I don't really have anything I need to buy. Maybe a shelving unit to sit on top of the dresser in the bedroom so I can stack both sets of diapers. Right now DD's take up the entire unit.
I had planned on making some newborn diapers to replace a few I'm not that fond of.
Boys can wear pink, and it'll be -40 outside so it's not like anyone will see even if they did mind!
Birth pool
Fish scale
Scissors to sterilize
Shoelace
Gloves
POSSIBLY a birth kit from inhishands, but if not then a few washable chux pads.

I think that's probably it.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#19 of 29 Old 08-03-2005, 03:35 PM

To do:
-finish painting the room
-get the crib out of the garage and set it up (not that baby will use it at night but for naps I will probably use it so ds doesnt jump on the baby on the bed!)
- Dh is building her an armoire/dresser thing since her "room" is the sitting room off our bedroom and doesnt have a closet.
-prepare some meals in advance to freeze

To buy:
-another carseat
-rent the Aqua Doula tub
-order my birth kit
-changing pad thing to put on top of my dresser (we dont use changing table)
-double stroller for larger outings
-maybe a few more outfits but I think the grandmas/friends got that covered LOL

Desiree

#20 of 29 Old 08-03-2005, 03:44 PM

Add to my "to do" list:

Find a ped. The one we picked at random for ourselves when moving here is a complete idiot with rude office staff. I miss our former peds.
#21 of 29 Old 08-03-2005, 03:51 PM

To do:
-make some nb and small diapers, Ive given/sold all mine off.
-make some nb/small covers
-make a special first day outfit
-finish Avery's blanket, she's 2 and I started it before she was born, I feel guilty making new baby's w/o finishing her s first.
-make baby's blanket.
-finish DH's quilt for his Xmas present.
-decide if we're moving or not before dec. I want it done!
-clean, paint, declutter.
-get older kids stuff (clothing/toys) under conrtol before bringing more stuff in for baby.
-get Christmas presents now so i dont have to worry later
-make some freezer meals
-worry about diaper biz while I take some time off.
-have fun and enjoy my belly, this may be my last pregnancy.

To buy:
-new crib, Avery broke ours but I dont need it right away
-new stroller, I really want that Phil and Ted double, it looks rockin'
-some NB clothing, I again, gave all ours away
-receiving blankets, our are yucky after 2 kids
-birth kit
-rent birth tub
-new pouch carrier, Id really like a flecce KK one.
#22 of 29 Old 08-03-2005, 04:00 PM

let's see:
to purchase (or put on our christmas/baby wishlist! )
-motherwear long-sleeve essential stretch tee, size medium, black, white
-motherhood short sleeve 1x1 rib vneck tee, size medium, black, pink
-tadpoles basic red moses basket
-fisher-price zoo pals bouncer
-evenflo triumph 5 comfort touch convertible car seat, aristotle
-granola threads long-sleeved t-shirt, size 24 months, pink, tandem nursing is twice as nice (girl graphic)
-granola threads long-sleeved onesie, size 0-3 months, white, tandem nursing is twice as nice (baby graphic)
-hanna andersson pilot cap, size xxs, red, butter, morning green
-sassy lively links
-john lennon real love baby book, standard binding
-guess how much i love you baby book
-medela baby cup feeder, 2
-more newborn/small diapers and covers!!

to do:
-put together birth kit (a friend is giving me some stuff, the rest i need to order from cascade)
-design and make a new pouch sling
-make curtains for front door and kids' room
-get some sheets and towels for the birth
-clean car and install carseat
#23 of 29 Old 08-03-2005, 04:12 PM

after two kids, i don't need much and i've already washed and organized all the baby clothes, and have my diapers ready.
so...
buy birth kit from inhishands
refinish wood floors in living/dining room
get some laminate flooring for bedrooms from ikea
declutter and deep clean
make postpartum pad panties
make wipes from scraps
make kids' christmas presents
touch up white paint on changing table
buy a prelit christmas tree (i need a new one and i'm not wrestling with the lights on our cheapy old tree this year)
buy a few pairs of nice stretchy yoga pants for postpartum
get new carseat - also thinking of evenflo triumph
borrow an infant seat from friend
get a family portrait taken
plan a few months of homeschool activities for eldest son so i have things for him to do for the beginning of the year when i will just be sitting around being tired and nursing.
#24 of 29 Old 08-03-2005, 11:20 PM

I'll have to go revise my list! Everyone else's makes me think of so much more stuff. BTW, I love my Evenflo Comfort Touch carseat. Love it!

Spark, thanks for the info. on the glider. I used a friend's for a while with my DD and it used to make me slightly nauseas, so I'm hesitant to buy one. But I know I'll need something to rock the baby in and I gave away my old rocker. Maybe I"ll just look for a padded rocker that I could keep forever.
#25 of 29 Old 08-04-2005, 04:35 PM

finish website for diaper shower
see how diaper shower is coming together
clean out back room turn it into master bedroom
turn front room into playroom
get toys out of jewelys room
put a second dresser in jewely's room
have shower soon so i know how many diapers i need to buy
think of more baby names
make back up birth plan
get DH to move washer/dryer outside and build a lean-to for them
read this entire thread to see what else i need to do

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#26 of 29 Old 08-25-2005, 04:05 PM

Sorry, but I think this "study" is bunk. People drove a LOT LESS back then. Often people had less cars, did less driving on the whole, and mom was home with the baby. Babies are WAY safer in car seats.

I don't know anyone who isn't careful when they drive with their baby. Its OTHER people and potential unknowns that cause a problem.

Just had to give my two cents
XOXO
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark
Remember the days when parents just held their babies on their laps as they drove? Remember those days? Oh, and it was LEGAL to do so!

I read a study that I wish I could find that compared data about babies injured in car accidents. The numbers found that less babies were in car accidents before the regulated use of car seats. (the researchers hypothesized that it was due to parents being extra careful while driving knowing that their baby was helpless in the car floating around.) Also, they stats showed that even though the car seat babies were in many more accidents of those accidents, the percentage of fatal infant injuries were less. So... basically, the correlation is without car seats there are fewer accidents with a higher rate of mortality for those accidents. Whereas car seated babies have much higher numbers of accidents, but of those accidents less mortality associated with them.

Golly, I don't think that made a lick of semse/ I'm being pawed here by Cicely. She's ready for BED... NOW!

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
#27 of 29 Old 09-01-2005, 07:51 PM

first major thing and i'm not looking forward to waiting to long. is to relocate after house is sold. establish a relationship with a midwife. just up now and maybe UC. to buy car seat, arms reach corrale for baby to lay sometimes. a new boppy or nursing pillow. to make or buy some wool diaper covers nb/s already have diapers. a new mai tai baby carrier and a few new cotton flannel sleepers GN and a winter pram.
#28 of 29 Old 09-01-2005, 08:24 PM

My "To Do - To Buy" list:

To Do:
  • Get physio for my hip pain
  • Enjoy the rest of my pregnancy
  • Organize storage space for baby things
  • Install car seat to make sure it's all fine
  • Practise taking apart and reassembling jogger stroller
  • Figure out how to deal with the diaper pail (I have NO idea!)
  • Convince Relic to let me buy a small chest freezer
  • Plan "cook ahead" meals for the first month
  • Make those meals and freeze them in October or November

To Buy:
  • slip on shoes because I'm already having trouble with laces!
  • winter-weight shawl or poncho for me
  • Amby Hammock for baby to sleep in
  • Snugli Expedition carrier
  • Sling
  • Diapers (they're on order - being made now)
  • Sweater or Coat for baby
  • Comfy yoga/jogging fleece pants for me for postpartum
  • Baby clothes - esp hats, booties and so on... (whatever I don't get in showers)
  • X-Box and some games
  • Better crock pot (slow cooker)

I think that's everything so far. I'm sure there will be more!er

Weary SuperMama superhero.gifto my  amazing neurodiverse 6 y.o. DD hearts.gif and to my on-the-go neurotypical 3 y.o. DS wild.gif

#29 of 29 Old 09-05-2005, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark

Those were the days. Parents didn't have buy new car to fit more car seats. I could pack so many kids in my Expedition if it weren't for carseats. Sometimes progress makes life difficult.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page