Shortness of breath while lying down? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-12-2005, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last night I had 90 minutes of lying down to try to go to sleep and then a sudden feeling of not being able to catch my breath, bringing me back to fully awake. I tried several positions and nothing really helped, thought I finally fell asleep in this odd position using pillows to keep my chest as open as possible. I'm every-so-slightly stuffy, but not that bad at all. I'm generally doing fine with breathing, and I even went running yesterday, which felt better than it had in ages.

What is this?

Wishing for
#2 of 12 Old 09-12-2005, 12:58 PM

Could it have been the position of the baby?? Maybe baby was situated in a way that you weren't able to get a good breath, or just the weight of baby pressing up on your lungs/diaphragm when you were laying down? It seems like we are all starting to experience those things that come with baby getting heavier.

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#3 of 12 Old 09-12-2005, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I was thinking of that, but the baby hasn't really shifted for about a month. He's head down, posterior, meaning I get one foot per set of ribs. : He was quite active during that time last night, though.

I did quite a bit of getting up and doing a variety of exercises designed to rotate the baby, none of which budged him or really helped.

So does anyone know if this is a sign of a problem? I read through gossamer's pre-e thread again and didn't find any mention of this there, so at least that's good...

Hmph. Maybe it is positioning.
#4 of 12 Old 09-12-2005, 05:44 PM

Maybe the baby was trying to move. I know some posterior babies will try over and over to rotate (no pun intended - ha-ha) out of the position. And when they're awake and active is actually the best time to do the exercises to get them anterior.
#5 of 12 Old 09-12-2005, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by girrllie
Maybe the baby was trying to move. I know some posterior babies will try over and over to rotate (no pun intended - ha-ha) out of the position. And when they're awake and active is actually the best time to do the exercises to get them anterior.
Hmmm, interesting to know. I finally fell asleep in a position similar to the "rest smart" position from spinningbabies. I had spent about 30 minutes before going to bed doing pelvic tilts, squats and other hip exercises I have to do after I go running.

...still posterior here, though.
#6 of 12 Old 09-12-2005, 11:10 PM

Hmmm, I'm not sure what your experience means, Wendy. I can relate though. I've always thought it was like a combo of B/H and baby positioning. I am only sleeping in the spinningbabies way because I lose my breath in the other positions. I can't really lay on my back anymore and even straight on my side sometimes gives me shortness of breath.

When I feel breathless, I focus on deep slow breathing and finding as comfortable as a position as possible.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#7 of 12 Old 09-13-2005, 07:31 PM

that happens if i'm having a BH and sometimes the weight of my boobs does it. LMAO! i sleep in a recliner now so it happens less when i'm in that position.
#8 of 12 Old 09-14-2005, 01:49 AM

I have been feeling breathless lately but I think mine is asthma related. I was recently diagnosed with asthma after moving here a few months before getting pregnant (after 6 months of feeling breathless and being told it was stress!!). The doctor told me some people develop asthma during pregnancy, or sometimes it even gets better. Mine went away for a few months but is starting up again, especially while lying down. *sigh*
#9 of 12 Old 09-14-2005, 02:34 AM

Hi Wendy,

Not sure if this is applicable to your situation, but my OB told me that if the baby is laying on the right-side artery, this can lead to shortness of breath in the mother. He said this is adaptive, because if blood flow to the baby is compromised by the mother's sleeping position, the shortness of breath will cause the mother to wake up and change position (he was trying to reassure me because I was worried about flopping over on my back in my sleep, and he reassured me that I wouldn't stay in a position that was hurting the baby). However, if you weren't on your back or right side, I'm not sure this would be a plausible explanation for what you were experiencing.
#10 of 12 Old 09-14-2005, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawoof
Hi Wendy,

Not sure if this is applicable to your situation, but my OB told me that if the baby is laying on the right-side artery, this can lead to shortness of breath in the mother. He said this is adaptive, because if blood flow to the baby is compromised by the mother's sleeping position, the shortness of breath will cause the mother to wake up and change position (he was trying to reassure me because I was worried about flopping over on my back in my sleep, and he reassured me that I wouldn't stay in a position that was hurting the baby). However, if you weren't on your back or right side, I'm not sure this would be a plausible explanation for what you were experiencing.
You know, I've read that as well, which is the reason I don't worry about ending up on my back many nights. It makes a lot of sense. I've experienced this, and it is very similar to the sudden feeling of sufficating I'm having here.

However, lying on my right side is worst, lying on my back is next worst and lying on my left side is better, but still a problem. After an hour or so of trying different positions, nearly falling asleep, sitting up gasping for breath, then lying back down again, it suddenly stops and I sleep for the rest of the night alright. When I get up in the middle of the night to pee, I don't have to go through it again. Oddly, it's not a problem when I'm lying down reading, and it only starts after I turn off the light and start to fall asleep (don't shoot me: that normally takes me 2-3 minutes).

A little experiment on myself:

It has nothing to do with my activity level. This has happened three times in a row and I only ran on the first day.

It has nothing to do with hydration level.

It has nothing to do with whether or not the a/c is on.

It has nothing to do with being stuffy -- that's been gone the last two days.

It is always associated with a *very* active baby whose motions I'd describe as "frantic" during this time.

Panthira ~ Asthma is an interesting suggestion. I've read about what asthma feels like and this isn't it. As soon as I sit up and take a deep breath the sensation is gone. I also don't have any allergies to speak of, and I'm not having problems any other time. I wonder if this could be related?

Only 12 more weeks of this, eh?
#11 of 12 Old 09-14-2005, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz
Only 12 more weeks of this, eh?
Welcome to the 3rd Trimester!

Man! I was sooo hoping those 3rd Trimester things wouldn't rear their ugly head until like Nov 30! :LOL

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#12 of 12 Old 09-14-2005, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark
Welcome to the 3rd Trimester!

Man! I was sooo hoping those 3rd Trimester things wouldn't rear their ugly head until like Nov 30! :LOL
LOL According to my counting, I entered the 3rd trimester the Thursday before Labor Day. The next day, the 3rd trimester hit with full force. I'm whining and complaining about stuff I don't remember being issues until at least 32 or 33 weeks last time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page