hospital birth plan for planned homebirth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-30-2005, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are fellow homebirthers doing? I've mostly inclined to plan/hope for the best and not pack a bag or write a birth plan for the hospital. I'm thinking I'll write a list of things so that if we did go to the hospital, DH would have the list and could come back and get my desired stuff when it is reasonable. I'm not too worried about my stuff. The birth plan has me a little confused. If I got transfered, or went before 37 weeks, how would I even know what to plan/prefer at this point? Chances are it'd be an emergency or I wouldn't leave my home and in that case, I have no idea what I'd want. I'd want them to take care of the emergency! I guess I could have a little paper that says some basics for me like "room in with baby, no bottles, no circ, cut cord after stops pulsating.." What are y'all doing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 10-30-2005, 10:53 AM

Hi, Littlemomma. This question seems to have as many different answers and reasoning as the number of women who answer it!

What we do: Nothing. I don't do a single thing. It would have to be a true emergency for me to transfer and if that were to happen I wouldn't care if I had my slippers and lip balm. They have paper and pens in the room, so if after everything happened I could have DH make a sign for the isolette if my baby needed to be in some kind of care. Whatever "things" we needed could be gotten from home after the emergency was over.

The hospital has tooth brushes, combs, shampoo, lotion, etc. When I was there for HG, I pretty much just had underwear, socks and my lap top with me (quick 1-2 stays I didn't have anything really). Although, I was REALLY out of it while I was admitted there. If I had more of my faculties I probably would have wanted more stuff.

Oh, also, we're about a mile from the hospital, so commuting is a non-issue.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#3 of 15 Old 10-30-2005, 11:13 AM

i planned a hospital birth and it mostly went well - a few thoughts for you:

-i'd say *clamp* the cord after it stops pulsating... we asked to delay cutting - so they clamped it right away and then had DH cut it later
-request that one parent be with the baby at all times - we ended up with a couple situations where i couldn't be with the baby, so DH was there with him to make sure nothing happened we didn't want, like eyedrops, bottles, bathing, etc...
-ask for baby to be put on your chest right away - even for most cases where medical attention is needed right away, they can give you a few seconds together which i'm sure you would cherish. and if no medical attention is needed - it's much better that they be on your chest, keeping warm, initiating breastfeeding... than off being apgared, weighed, bathed (a.k.a. chilled). they can check for the apgar indicators while the baby is on you - they can delay weighing and bathing... for us our baby wasn't weighed until he'd latched on and had his first nursing (so i probably added an extra 1/4 oz. to his weight ) and bathing didn't happen until about 12 hours later.

at the top of our birthplan we distilled everything down to 2 major points for quick reference
** we have prepared for a natural birth and appreciate your support in this
** we would like one parent to be with the baby at all times

i didn't find there was much i needed with me in the hospital - i arrived with only 4 hours left to go and so i certainly didn't need the things you might bring for early labor or amusement while on an epidural they provided a gown for me and socks and a diaper, cap and receiving blanket for the baby. food for me was provided but not DH. the main things we needed were:
-phone card (can't use cell phone in hospital)
-going home clothes for me and baby
-car seat!
presumably your DH could handle the last two post-partum if need be, but you may want to have a phone card handy to call family.

best wishes for a wonderful home birth!!!

Rosemary & Gary :
James 12/04 & Cecelia 4/07
#4 of 15 Old 10-30-2005, 12:16 PM
kir

I'm definitely having a hospital birth, but I have a similar issue around what to write in a birth plan for a c-section. My main concerns are who is with me (my DH and mom), who is with the babies (someone, at all times), and the establishment of breastfeeding right after the birth. These should all happen, whatever kind of birth I have to have.
#5 of 15 Old 10-30-2005, 12:46 PM

Littlemamma, don't worry if you go before 37 weeks...it's not always an "emergency" situation just because it's before 37. My first surprised the heck out of us with my water breaking at 36 weeks. We hadn't written a birth plan yet (it was still on the "to do") list. When we got to the hospital I wasn't contracting yet, so we had time to do a real quick birth plan. The nurse just gave us some paper and a pen and we whipped it up.

Unfortunately not many of the nurses actually *looked* at the plan. I wanted completely unmedicated, yet they kept asking if I wanted anything for the pain. Grrr. : And the thing that was most important to me, baby rooming in with me (NO seperation/ NO artificial nipples, breast ONLY) went out the window because baby was having "respiratory distress". Her nostrils were "flaring" when she breathed and that was a concern, so she was immediately taken to NICU. I believe whole hartedly that her breathing problem was due to immediate cord clamping/ cutting, which my husband and I had not researched ahead of time. She was a good weight for 36 weeks - 6lb 12oz..so it's not like her lungs weren't mature.

That said, I also didn't have a birth plan for baby #2 (planned homebirth), nor do I plan on making one for this baby.

Bethany, mama to M (9), J (7), S (4), and baby BOY 9/13/10!!
#6 of 15 Old 10-30-2005, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My midwives have prepared a hospital birth plan with me in case of transfer. It's largely a lot of details for their use to advocate for me in the event of a transfer. If I transfer, they will stay with us until after the baby is born and things are quite settled. I've given them details like I want to make sure my glasses are on at all times, I require that everyone who enters the room introduce themselves and explain their role, etc. The rooming in and breastfeeding issues are more or less a given with these midwives, so they will be certainly advocating for me on those points.

I'm not packing a bag or anything though. We probably won't even install the carset before the birth.
#7 of 15 Old 10-30-2005, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark
The hospital has tooth brushes, combs, shampoo, lotion, etc. When I was there for HG, I pretty much just had underwear, socks and my lap top with me (quick 1-2 stays I didn't have anything really). Although, I was REALLY out of it while I was admitted there. If I had more of my faculties I probably would have wanted more stuff.

Not all hospitals are as generous as this one. Where I has the girls they did provide a tooth brush (with bristles that fell off in my mouth), tooth paste, little bar of soap, lotion and small comb. You may want to at least pack a small toiletry kit with enough for at least one shower and a way to comb or brush your hair that won't take 45 min. I always prefered hospital garb after the birth. A second gown backwards can serve as a robe. Then they can wash any blood off the clothing! A postpartum pack is usually given to mothers with stretchy mesh underwear, pads and a peri bottle.

I have never planned an homebirth, but would think that if you end up transfering it would be because of a problem that would require quick action. So all the things one would plan for a normal birth may not apply. Keeping in mind one or two important things, like a parent always with the baby ( though some NICUs will ask parents to leave during rounds or procedures) or no bottles would be easier to remember.
#8 of 15 Old 10-30-2005, 01:12 PM

Link-a-liscious Goodies for all! (sorry, I like the "search" feature and sometimes other people already said a lot of good stuff)

Homebirth Thread on Hospital Plans

Ceserean Birth Plan that Rocks!

Cesarean Birth Preparation

Atozmama - I should have clarified about the toothbrush, comb, etc -- they were not nice, but they worked ok. It wasn't like the comfort of home and I'd have preferred my own, but I didn't really care at the time.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#9 of 15 Old 10-30-2005, 01:13 PM

Our plan with DS#1 was a birth center birth. I avoided writing a birth plan for there or possible transfer to the hospital b/c I didn't want to "jinx" anything. However, I ended up getting "disqualified" from birthing at the birth center & ended up at the hospital with induction & ultimately a c-section.

This time we are having a homebirth, and I will be writing 2 birth plans - one for homebirth & another JIC I end up at the hospital (the very last thing I want to happen, but will be prepared none the less). The transfers my midwife does (few, but still some) are most often due to exhaustion of the mom, and usually do not result in c-sections.

I would have made a note to myself to eat/drink before going to the hospital.

For the induction/monitoring part I would have indicated (and will this time) that I want to be MOBILE and not confinded to bed (the CNM from the birthing center that accompanied me did not even offer this as an option, and I did not have a clear head apparently, b/c I don't even remember asking about it).

A couple of the things I regret not happening at the hospital during the c-section:
-no pictures or video were taken during the birth - just after DS was born & already was "tagged" with the security ankle bracelet & wrist band (would have liked some photos of him coming out of me & of him w/o the bracelets
- maybe gross, but I would have actually liked a photo the operation (it still feels very surreal)
- would have specified that no students were to assist (I don't actually know if any did, but that would have been my preference)
- would have liked to have seen/held DS *before* he was cleaned off
- I would indicate that DH should stay with the baby at all possible times (if I'm not able to be with the baby)
- No formula/pacifier, refusal of eye ointment, Hep B,
- Breastfeeding ASAP

Those are the things I can think of right now. There are tons of online birth plan examples (for home & hospital births) if you do a google search.
#10 of 15 Old 10-30-2005, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Unfortunately not many of the nurses actually *looked* at the plan.
This was the case for me when I had my son as well. At the hopsital I delivered a birth "plan" was worthless cause they didnt care or take notice one bit. All of the things that were in it they kept asking me over and over. Urg. I brought this big bag full of stuff and didnt use even one thing. I wanted out there ASAP so I just put the same clothes I wore there back on, didnt even shower or brush my teeth! LOL I just kept asking to go home and they let me after 12 hours.

This time I am in a new town and we have a hospital in this town so I am not going to pack a bag or anything cause if I had to transfer it would be an emergency and I wouldnt care about stuff, plus people could fetch it for me since we only live about 10-15 minutes away (that's with traffic).

Desiree

#11 of 15 Old 10-30-2005, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wanted to add too, even if you have a birth plan and you give it to them and you think they read it, be verbal as well. For example, dh had to stand over the baby and say "NO HEP B" over and over. Or circ or whatever. The stupid ped and nurse came in and asked 3 times! DUH, I SAID NO, LEAVE HIM ALONE! LOL It was all in the "plan" but I dont think anyone bothered to ACTUALLY read it.

Desiree

#12 of 15 Old 10-30-2005, 08:21 PM

My midwife's transfer to hospital rate is 3% so I know that if I transfer, it will be in the case of a total emergency and the hospital will definitely perform caesarian surgery at that point. So I haven't bothered to write out a birth plan because if we go to the hospital it will be the antithesis of everything we want.

But that's a good point about the "care of baby" list. I hadn't though to make one.
#13 of 15 Old 10-30-2005, 09:55 PM

With DS we ended up in a hospital room giving birth at 36 weeks - but we were with our midwives who have their birthing room in that same hospital, so mostly it was fine. We relyed on them to convey our wishes, and we did not go in with a birth plan. HOWEVER...our experience was not perfect, and a short birth plan might have been helpful.

Mezzaluna's advice (2nd post) is absolutely excellent and I would echo everything she said.

I also think that distilling your plan into a few very key ideas is a very good idea. Chances are that no one will read the plan. But if you print something up ahead of time with a few points IN BIG BOLD LETTERS, the chances are greater that someone will read them. If you go overboard and list every little thing that you want - chances are nothing will get read.

This time around, we are probably going to do a home birth, but I have been talking to my midwives just in case and making sure that key points are at the top of my chart.
#14 of 15 Old 10-31-2005, 10:35 AM

I agree with pps that if I transfer, it will be a true emergency - which would send a lot of the labor / birth part of the plan out the window. So we did do a plan to have in our file - which would go with us to the hospital (as would our midwife) - but the plan is mainly about after the birth - stuff like Scotty with baby at all times, no artificial nipples, etc.
#15 of 15 Old 10-31-2005, 11:34 AM

We planned a Birth Center birth for Bethany 4+yrs ago. I had a great birth plan all written out for the birth center and then went on a tour of the back up hospital across the street "just in case." Well I'm glad I did because I was HORRIFIED.

I VERY quickly made a separate birth plan for the hospital which was a good idea because we did get transferred. I've posted before w/ all the details of Beth's birth...basically I had her within 20min of arriving at the hospital... thankfully avoiding a csection.

So all the stipulations that I had previously written up were VERY helpful, no eye ointment, no Hep B, baby w/ me or dh at all times, no pacifier, breastfeeding, rooming in, etc.

I am doing the same thing this time. My best friend had her baby in August at the same hospital and I was horrified how they walked all over her wishes (she is a first time mom and did awesome..but they were idiots). My just in case plan will be basically the same...and dh and I are prepared to be extremely firm...it's great to be a BTDT parent because you are so much more confident!

I don't care how slim the chances are for transfer (my chances are even less this time than last) I would have something written up...if nothing else for the post natal care and instructions w/ the baby.

Just my 2 cents!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page