How to wash the flame retardant off of baby clothes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-02-2005, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've never understood the widespread fear that babies will spontaneously combust during the night. I've had other moms tell me that the flame retardant stuff they spray on baby clothes (especially sleepwear) is essentially poisonous and can irritate the baby's delicate skin.

So how can I wash it off? Is there some type of soap that removes it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2005, 07:19 PM

not in your group, but thought I'd respond. Yes, it's nasty nasty stuff. proven to cause cancer among other worries. There is no easy way to wash it out. Some soaps and detergents may get more of it out, but personally we just never use treated clothes.

-Angela
Old 11-02-2005, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Most clothes that are treated are sleepwear.... so I just use other leggings and/or sweatpants and simple long-sleeve tops for sleeping because the flame-retardant stuff drives me BATTY! I mean, if the fire is *that* close to the baby, I think you should have other concerns anyway.

Though, correct me if I'm wrong, I believe the whole thing started up because of some pajamas actually melting onto babies even without flames? or something like that.. something with melting... which, in that case, I'd say go with natural fibers anyway... but... who knows. I'm also one that lets my kids play with sticks -- and they DON'T wear goggles. Or kneepads. Or elbowpads. Or shoes all the time.

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
Old 11-02-2005, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd just skip flame retardant anything all together. It's nasty stuff. You can find 100% cotton sleepers without flame retardant at lost of places now, Children's Place, Penneys, Target, Old Navy, Gap, etc.

I hate PJ's that arent 100% cotton too. If I wanted my kid to sweat all night in polyester I might as well wrap him in saran wrap. LOL

Desiree

Old 11-02-2005, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It's night when babies are likely to be in a room by themselves, so in the event of a fire, I can see the logic with treating poly sleepware with flame retartant. Too bad the stuff is likely nasty.

If you're like me, you're likely to receive many of these as gifts. I saw a post just yesterday on how to wash it out.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:28 PM

I read an article on the European ban on the agents used to make something flame-retardant and it was enough to convince me to stay away from this stuff.

A tag that says 100% could still be treated. The tag should read, instead, "Not intended for sleepwear," meaning that by law they can't sell you PJ's that don't have it.

::: Just another WAHM using this forum to put off picking up toys and cleaning my house.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:04 AM

Yeah, we have a bunch of stuff that says not intended for sleepwear but we use it as sleepwear anyways cause it looks like sleepwear to me! LOL

Desiree

Old 11-03-2005, 03:13 AM

I also skip flame-retardant PJs.

FYI, flame retardants are in a lot of things, including car seat fabric covers, shopping cart covers (the ones made by big companies), and on and on. It really sucks!

I have a new Britax Marathon in the box and I need to wash out the fabric a few times.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
Old 11-03-2005, 04:01 AM

Oh yuck, I didnt know that about the marathon cover. I never wash carseat covers before I use them. EEK!

Desiree

Old 11-03-2005, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz
If you're like me, you're likely to receive many of these as gifts. I saw a post just yesterday on how to wash it out.

Thank you Geofizz! That's exactly what I needed to know. Myself, I would never buy baby clothes that were sprayed with flame retardant. But we have no money to buy any baby things at this time so we're going to be using whatever we receive at baby showers. And - surprise - other people don't necessarily buy 100% cotton, non-sprayed baby clothes for us :/ Thanks for your help!

About the melting pajamas thing - my midwife was telling me that in the 80's (and maybe 90's) when her babies were born, all the mainstream stores sold 100% polyester baby clothing. The idea being that if your baby spontaneously combusted during the night (again, I have no idea why they thought that would happen) then they figured it was better for the plastic - er, polyester - clothing to MELT on the baby's skin than for cotton jammies to singe off. *shrug* So anyway, she signed up all her relatives on the mailing lists of natural/organic companies that sold cotton baby clothing (with warnings that said something like, "This item of baby clothing that looks exactly like a sleeper is NOT intended for sleepwear.") And that's how she got them to buy cotton baby clothes for her showers.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesireeH
I hate PJ's that arent 100% cotton too. If I wanted my kid to sweat all night in polyester I might as well wrap him in saran wrap. LOL

DS sweats like a madman in poly jammies. I hate them! But certain sweet-natured grannies just don't get it (even though I've mentioned that poly makes him sweat more) and continue to buy them. I've given up directing her efforts, and I just bury them in the bottom of the jammie stack.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:22 PM

Quote:
DS sweats like a madman in poly jammies. I hate them! But certain sweet-natured grannies just don't get it (even though I've mentioned that poly makes him sweat more) and continue to buy them. I've given up directing her efforts, and I just bury them in the bottom of the jammie stack.
YEP! We get those from great grandma. Velvet poly! LOL We also live in southern CA where it doesnt really get all that cold. LOL

Desiree

User Tag List