Anyone else showing NO signs of labor at 38 weeks? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 12-01-2005, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since everyone who is showing signs is posting, I need to hear from those like me who show nothing, nada, zilch, zippo!

My belly button is starting to pop out, and my body is feeling more taxed, but that is it.

I completed 38 weeks yesterday.

I just imagined my labor would not neccessarily start, but I was so mentally geared up for teaser signs that meant nothing. I hadn't prepared for nothing happening!

::: Just another WAHM using this forum to put off picking up toys and cleaning my house.
#2 of 21 Old 12-01-2005, 03:42 PM

You know, at this point in pregnancy, my body feels so achey and odd anyway, it is hard to know if anything is "new" or birth-related.

But, like you, I haven't had any classical signs, like mucos, or anything. With my first, however, there were NO clues until the day it began...11 days post EDD.
#3 of 21 Old 12-01-2005, 04:05 PM

i'm either 36.5 weeks or 38 weeks (according to my lmp and measurements, i'm 38 weeks, if we go by when i suspect i ovulated, i'm 36 weeks). i have NO signs. nothing going on. no painful contractions, just boring toning contractions, no bloody show, no mucus plug. i'm okay with it, since i need all the time i can get, but i'm pretty surprised because i had prodromal labor with my daughter for weeks and weeks, with some pretty painful contractions.
#4 of 21 Old 12-01-2005, 04:15 PM

I'm 39 wks and 3 days! No signs other than crampiness that I have had on/off since 20something weeks. Horrible backache (usually worse at night) and maybe some occassional BH but nothing to write home about. No show, no mucus, no regular anything. Just bitchy, achy, ready to be done me. I'm not really dilating either. like 1cm.

I didn't have a single anything with DD before I had her. not a pain no show no dilation at all. Guess it might be that way this time, unless this backache that keeps getting worse means something!

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#5 of 21 Old 12-01-2005, 04:28 PM

Yup, me too. I am 38 weeks and nothings doin' much of anything. I feel pretty tired and have had some general crampiness, but that's it. No exciting textures or colors to report from down below. Midwife said on Tuesday that I am a mere 1 cm. She said I likely have a good 3 weeks to go. So much for my mom's psychic predictions that I'd go early.....
#6 of 21 Old 12-01-2005, 04:50 PM

Me too, me too! I was feelin' kinda left out because I have nothing to contribute to that big and popular Prodromal Labor thread. Glad to know I'm not alone.

I was 38 weeks this past Monday, and I haven't even noticed a pickup in the BH or anything. Definitely nothing interesting on the TP.

I'm certainly not complaining, though. Wouldn't it be a treat if we all just went into labor with no teasers to trick us ahead of time?
#7 of 21 Old 12-01-2005, 06:23 PM

I'm 38 weeks today and no signs of impending labor.

--Jessica

Mom to Dom age 11, Joe age 7, and baby Maddie. love.gif

#8 of 21 Old 12-01-2005, 09:25 PM

How about 41 weeks and 4 days and no signs of impending labor! I seriously honestly think this baby doesn't realize he's supposed to come out.
#9 of 21 Old 12-01-2005, 09:39 PM

Getting nothing...trying not to focus on the lack of signs though this could go on for weeks! Fun to think about though...

kelli
#10 of 21 Old 12-01-2005, 10:52 PM

38 weeks and 1 day and all I've had is one night of semi-regular B/H and nothing else. I haven't had any B/H's at all other than that, and I'm only fingertip dilated. I don't even have any colostrum! The baby has a ways to drop yet, too.

I'd say don't worry about it and try to enjoy feeling ok for a while. At least that's what I'm trying to do!

#11 of 21 Old 12-01-2005, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital
How about 41 weeks and 4 days and no signs of impending labor! I seriously honestly think this baby doesn't realize he's supposed to come out.

Ug. This is exactly what I am afraid of! Sorry to say! I think I am going to be in ytour exact boat 3 weeks from now.

Boy, sending you lots of good birth vibes tonight! Boy, how much your patience and sense of humor must best tested by now.

We must rember this thread's mantra...

Long gestation = healthy placenta = healthy, happy baby

::: Just another WAHM using this forum to put off picking up toys and cleaning my house.
#12 of 21 Old 12-02-2005, 12:16 AM

Hehe I'm glad to see this thread too. I'll be 38 weeks in a couple days. Been having some braxton hicks, was 50% effaced as of a week and a half ago (haven't been checked since) and I'm one fingertip dialated. Baby has been engaged low in my pelvis since 34 1/2 weeks. Although the EDD is Dec 17th, we're hopeful that this baby might come a little early. Although that might set us up for disappointment if he/she stays in until 42 weeks! No sign of the mucus plug so far.

The last of my mail-order stuff arrived today (cloth postpartum pads) and we just got back from buying labor snacks at the grocery store (and champaign for afterward!) So I guess we're ready, except that I'm not sure whether my midwife is on call again yet (was off call for a few days earlier this week). She still needs to bring over the food-grade hose for the birth tub! But now that I have most of my ducks in a row, I'm feeling like an early birth would be a welcome thing. Would be nice to get this baby's head off my bladder and feet out of my ribs!!
#13 of 21 Old 12-02-2005, 01:29 AM

I'm 38 weeks 5 days and showing no signs. Not only that, I'm not tired of being pregnant or ready to be done with it all. I feel great!

So in other words, I don't think anything will be happening anytime soon. I didn't even let the NP do an internal today. She suggested making two more appointments instead of one....lol

I really hope to not go too over. I hate when they start to panic and talk about inducing. DD was big and I'm sure this one will be too, so that only adds to their concern. I keep telling them that my daughter's melon head cleared the way for all future babies
#14 of 21 Old 12-02-2005, 02:36 AM

Juliasmum and others, I totally relate. I'm 38 weeks, 2 days pg and feeling awesome (other than having to pee all the time). I've had some daily BH and felt some "electric shock" feeling sensations in my vagina yesterday, but nothing major. My energy is really high, too. That makes me think that nothing is too immanent, but who knows? My mw made our next prenatal appointment for 1 day past my EDD, I will be curious to see whether I make it or not!

Meanwhile everyone I've seen this week seems to think that it's the last time they'll see me before I have the baby. I'm in no huge rush to have the baby come out -- I'm really enjoying these days of quiet and uninterrupted "me" time now that I'm on leave from work, but will feel blessed whenever he decides to make his grand entrance.
#15 of 21 Old 12-02-2005, 04:50 AM

I'll be 38 weeks in a few days... and nada.

I am starting to worry a bit though because I was induced for going overdue with the last two.

Oh.. and I feel great. Really. My body handles pregnancy so very well. (except for the acid reflux this time... but I think that's because instead of growing out so far, this baby is just taking up more room in my torso -- I am 5'11" and have a longer torso anyway -- but the reflux is the babe's fault, not my stomach's!). I do *feel* bigger than I ever did with the girls though... and I've had people tell me I look bigger this time than the last two times. But... I feel fine (sore throat doesn't count). Darn it all anyway.

I just want to go into labor on my own for once.

Easy labor vibes to all of you!! May you be dilating already without knowing it and easing into the most fabulous labor ever!!!!

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls and now a rainbow1284.gif BOY!!! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) angel3.gif .

#16 of 21 Old 12-02-2005, 04:57 AM

I was induced with my first two as well and here I am at 2 days shy of 42 weeks with absolutely no impending labor signs. I'm starting to doubt I'll ever go into labor on my own.
I almost caved and took castor oil tonight but then I thought "Staying up all night crapping my brains out and then going into labor? Nah."
But I was *really* close. I am getting desperate!
#17 of 21 Old 12-02-2005, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital
I'm starting to doubt I'll ever go into labor on my own.
yep... I totally hear ya, there. It's frustrating!

Quote:
I almost caved and took castor oil tonight but then I thought "Staying up all night crapping my brains out and then going into labor? Nah."
But I was *really* close. I am getting desperate!
I can completely sympathize with your desperation. Well, I guess not necessarily for a third time around (yet, at least), but I know exactly where you're coming from. And it sucks! Big time!

This time around I got some of that 5-W stuff early on in this pregnancy because I know my tendencies to go overdue. But I chickened out. I havne't taken any yet. I suppose I still can because it's not going to hurt anything. But when I reached 35 weeks I thought, "hey, maybe this time I'll go into labor on my own!" (insert dreamy music in the background with clouds floating around... because I was obviously in la-la land!)

I'll be sending all the labor vibes I can muster (though, after typing that I laughed out loud.. here I am telling you all about how I'm in the same boat and never really felt A THING before being induced.... what the heck kind of labor vibes am I going to send?)

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls and now a rainbow1284.gif BOY!!! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) angel3.gif .

#18 of 21 Old 12-02-2005, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

My DH and I were talking about what happens outside of the modern medical model when you can't artifically induce? Our bodies are so brilliant, I have a hard time believing that babies would stay in there forever.

If the theories that we are really supposed to gestate for 42 weeks, then it seems that going a little over 42 doesn't seem unhealthy or dangerous, just possibly an uncomfortably big delivery.

My MW said your body is too smart to build something it can't deliver. We are not like the men who build boats in thier basements and realise they can't get them out the door.

Anyone know some good articles about this in Midwifery Today or other threads?

#19 of 21 Old 12-02-2005, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/dueDates.html

This was pretty good...

#20 of 21 Old 12-02-2005, 05:42 PM

Well, include me in. I'm 37 and a half weeks and haven't had any "signs". I hope I hope *I hope* I don't go too far over! I have nightmares about being induced.
#21 of 21 Old 12-02-2005, 06:53 PM

i have had no signs. my cervix feels like it's softened a little but that may not be true. my midwife offered to check me today but i'd rather not know. it will do what it's going to do.

I had no signs no BH even with dd. in fact I went through about 10-12 hours of steady contractions last time and wasn't dilated at all.painful ones near the end of that too. then sometime between 9-10 at noght and 11 in the afternoon the next day i had gotten all the way to 9.5 cm. walked into the hospital with just enough time to push.
so i'm not expecting much preliminaries now.
although i am thinking maybe this weekend will be it. (of course b/c i think that i am probably going over. The moon is right again January 2nd. But how could i possibly go longer and get any bigger? REALLY! )

Courtney

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page