home or birth center births/pku/hearing tests, etc. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 01-10-2006, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we went to our ped. today (1st visit). i am traveling several towns over b/c i found a "crunchy" ped. and am very glad (ok w/ delayed vax, cosleeping, supportive of bf'ing, etc.).
the ped. suggested we get the PKU and hearing tests at the "woman and child" section of a local hospital. ive heard good things about the hosp. but still dont want to go! lol!
what are others who had home births or birth center births doing about these tests?
i just hope they dont try to force other tests b/c i know that i will JUST SAY NO!!
i cant believe we have come this far and now have to go into a hospital (kind of justifies my friend's comment immediately after birth, when she asked if we didn't have to take the babe to the hospital to "get him checked out").
ethan is now 8.18 lbs; down from 8.4. how was everyone else after 9 days?
rach
#2 of 39 Old 01-10-2006, 10:55 PM

I had a HB. My mw did the PKU for us. We didn't do the hearing test and I don't feel we need to. This baby startles at even the smallest sound, so I think she hears just fine.

My babies are fast gainers. She had already gained a pound at a week old - so totally not normal so don't pay attention to my baby.
#3 of 39 Old 01-10-2006, 11:19 PM

My mw did the pku at my 2 day check (which ended up being at like 4 days pp) we aren't doing the hearing either for the same reason....she startles and turns to us so I am thinking the hearing is fine.

Our ped likes to see babies until they reach their birth weight....then not again until 2 months. we had to go 3 times but the 3rd visit was at about 9 days pp and she was 9lbs 15oz (4 oz over birth weight) they seemed surprised that she was back up so quick being exclusively breastfed, but my 1st was at birth weight in a week. I guess I must have fast gainers, too. Maybe me being a big ole lard ass pays off in super high fat breastmilk!

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#4 of 39 Old 01-10-2006, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarCat
Maybe me being a big ole lard ass pays off in super high fat breastmilk!
ha! that must be it! I gained about 70 pounds this pregnancy - maybe that's where the fat milk is coming from!
#5 of 39 Old 01-11-2006, 12:03 AM

Even tho we couldn't have a homebirth, the hb mw graciously agreed to do the pku at her office. That was WAY better than doing it in a hospital. However I had no idea how much it would hurt DD - that's a whole another thread perhaps.

In any case, maybe you could find a hb mw to help you?
#6 of 39 Old 01-11-2006, 12:59 AM

my midwife can do it, but dd's pediatriciam did it first. (the PKU) nothing was said about the hearing test, but i see her startle and once when her dad walked in the room her eyes went the direction his voice was coming from, so she can hear alright.

it is funny that it's at a ahospital.

what did ya'll do about the vitamin K?

courtney

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#7 of 39 Old 01-11-2006, 03:25 AM

Our midwives recommended a practice... we were going to take Moira to the same practice we'd taken Amalie to, but when dp went to make an appointment with them, they told him he *had* to take the baby to the emergency room at Shands (very large, very busy teaching hospital) to get the PKU done. Yeah, that's just where we want to take a 2 day old baby. So we ended up taking her to the practice the MWs told us about and they did the PKU there. She was 6 oz over her birth weight at 1 week, so we won't be going back till she's a month old. The doctor didn't bat an eyelash when I told her we don't vax b/c of religious objections, either, and I'm thinking we will switch dd #1 to this practice as well. We got some lectures at the other place

We didn't do the hearing test or the vitamin K. She definitely responds to sounds, appears to really enjoy music in fact, so I'm not worried about her hearing. I'd have considered the K if she had had a traumatic birth.
#8 of 39 Old 01-11-2006, 04:00 AM

We had the PKU done at the hospital 24 hours after Greyson was born. It's a California requirement. We declined the hearing test after their stupid machines wouldn't work right and they told my husband to stick a pacifier in our baby's mouth to get him to lay still and not cry.

We did the Vit K shot because I was on antibiotics while pregnant due to a kidney infection, but we opted out of the eye goop and the heb B shot.

My boy just had a pediatrician visit today. We also have to travel several towns over to get an open minded ped. The baby's now 7lbs8oz, up from his birth weight of 7lbs1oz. He lost his cord stump yesterday, and he has major dry skin and is peeling like a lizard. The ped said he's peeling more because he was overdue.
#9 of 39 Old 01-11-2006, 04:48 AM

My mw administered oral vit k for us.
#10 of 39 Old 01-11-2006, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
nak

they do have a waiver for pku in CA but a hospital probably wouldnt tell you that. we chose to have it done though (pku, not anything else.....no hearing or vit k or any of that). my mw came to our house and did it. it was hellish. they told me to nurse her while it was being done and the first poke was fine but she is NOT a bleeder so it took 3 pokes and lots of squeezing and taking her off the boob and holding her upright to get enough blood to fill those dang 5 circles. ugh. the testing company should figure out a way to use less blood.

Desiree

#11 of 39 Old 01-11-2006, 10:03 AM

we ended up doing the vit k because they had to do several blood sugar checks on her b/c of her weight. we talked it over and decided we would have the k but we didn't do the eye ointment. we wouldn't hae done the k either if it wasn't for them having to poke her or the accuchecks.

#12 of 39 Old 01-11-2006, 11:07 AM

we did the vit k b/c the pediatrician told us he would not see her if we didn't. it sounds heavy handed but we really love this guy, he is great, and i wasn't horribly opposed to it anyways. we didnt do the eye goop he "strongly recommended it" but i'm sure he knew i wasn't going to do it.

off topic what does nak mean?

courtney

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#13 of 39 Old 01-11-2006, 11:10 AM

We had Ben at the birth center and skipped Vit K and eye drops (they don't do Hep B there). Every birth is followed up by a home visit by one of the nurses and they do the PKU then... which is what we did. Ben isn't a bleeder so it took a while...and two pokes ...they took some extra for a bilirubin test since Ben was a bit yellow.

Up until this month (January) they didn't do hearing tests and sent you to an outpatient center for it. They give you a list with about 10 of them to choose from...and most aren't at hospitals. They are starting to do them now though and since the appt for Ben's hearing test is so far away, they are going to try and do it when I come in for my 6wk check up.

I don't have a problem doing the hearing test. It is totally not invasive. We had it done at an outpatient center w/ Beth because the THREE times they tried to test her in the hospital she was moving...and this was when she was sleeping! At the center they left her in her car seat and she slept through the entire 2min test.

HTH
#14 of 39 Old 01-11-2006, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

nak
nursing at computer
#15 of 39 Old 01-11-2006, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

nak again...this time typing w/ left hand!

our mw can do the pku butthought the ped. would do it. my ped. thinks i will like the m&c sction of the hospital but i just dont want to take Ethan there. the only time i got sick during my preg. was when they sent me to Boston b/c some moron misinterpreted one of my zillion u/s's and scared me into having another level 2 u/s to rule out downs (of course, this was ALL b/c i refused the amnio - stupid me!!). i just dont want to go.
i think the hearing test is no biggy...both my other kids had them...but i know Ethan's hearing is fine.
does anyone have a good experience (to the extent possible) w/ PKU?
thanks guys,
rach
#16 of 39 Old 01-11-2006, 12:03 PM

Not in your BG, but we didn't have to go to the hospital for our hearing check, we went to a speech and hearing clinic. It was in the hospital vicinity, but not the hospital proper, and didn't feel hospitaly at all...it was administered by an audiologist and took about 2 mins.

Our birth center did the PKU at her 3 day visit. I *think* it was required by law in FL, but we also just wanted to do it. Here with this pg our m/w will do it at one of our first PP checkups.

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
#17 of 39 Old 01-11-2006, 12:13 PM

We had #2 at a BC and we didn't have the Vit K or eye drops (they really really pressured us about the Vit K but once I told them 100% no way, the backed down). They don't do Hep B. They did the hearing test at the BC. I have no clue how envasive it is, but he never left the room, and I never saw them do the hearing test, but they said they did it. So I am guessing it was really none envasive. LOL

They did the PKU at the 1 day check (I was GBS positive so they did a 1 day visit rather than a 3 day visit) and the RN barely got enough blood for the circles. However, we had to redo the test at our 2 week (which ended up being 3 week) visit. I wouldn't have had the test redone but when the BC called to tell us the test hadn't gone through, DH was home and got the call. He asked me about 20 times when they were going to redo the test. If I had answered the phone and DH wasn't there I probably would have told them we weren't redoing it. I hate how the babies scream at having their pour feet poked over and over and their feet squeezed.

Also, someone mentioned that they were GBS positive and that's why they decided to get the Vit K. I am wondering why that is? When I was researching the Vit K and deciding if I wanted to fight the BC or not, it was never mentioned that you should get the Vit K if you are GBS+.
#18 of 39 Old 01-11-2006, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisraeltax
does anyone have a good experience (to the extent possible) w/ PKU?
not sure what you mean exactly by this but sada never flinched when they poked her for blood sugar or pku. she bled pretty good for it and they didn't have to stick multiple times- it really didn't seem to phase her. So I guess in that aspect it wasn't terrible.

nak- nursing at keyboard. i had to look it up a few weeks ago!

#19 of 39 Old 01-11-2006, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

i was wondering why computer was a k!!! lol!
#20 of 39 Old 01-11-2006, 01:06 PM

i was wondering too. what about sak +slinging at keyboard? but i get to use two hands. wow-e josephine's pooping big time. i'm gonna go take care of this. thanks for the info.

courtney

#21 of 39 Old 01-11-2006, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelions2
This baby startles at even the smallest sound, so I think she hears just fine.
This is the biggest misconception out there. Please please do not assume your child can hear because they startle with sound. There are a million reasons why this can happen, and often profoundly deaf children can do this. If anyone saw the movie Mr. Holland's Opus, they have a few scenes showing this because this is such a common problem. You bang a pot, the child appears to startle, you feel reassured. However, they often may respond to a slight movement in their peripheral vision, sound vibrations through furniture, etc.

The newborn hearing screening is a very important test for the well being of our children. It is free, paid for by the state, non-invasive, and the results can make a world of difference for a child who does exhibit a hearing loss. Even if parents choose to love their children just the way they are, they can begin signing etc. If they want to develop oral speech, the early intervention is key.

Chances are very good your child's hearing is fine, but I beg you not to propagate this mis-information.

Best Wishes!
XOXOXO
Beth

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
#22 of 39 Old 01-11-2006, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelysmommy
nothing was said about the hearing test, but i see her startle and once when her dad walked in the room her eyes went the direction his voice was coming from, so she can hear alright.
again, read my post above. this is a myth.

XOXO
B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
#23 of 39 Old 01-11-2006, 05:29 PM

We declined vitamin K and eye goop, but did take DS to the hospital lab for the PKU. They warmed his foot nicely before poking, and he didn't even flinch or react at all.

We are planning on doing the hearing screening. We stopped by the hospital once, but the lady who does them was out, so we decided to just come back another day than to stand around and wait. Next time, we'll call first.

BTW, here's the conversation that we had:

"Hi, we'd like to get the hearing screen done on our son."

"Is this a re-test?"

"No, he's never been tested before."

"Why wasn't he tested while he was here [in the hospital]?"

"Because he was born at home."

"And you didn't admit him after the birth?"

: So sad our society has no idea that a home birth can be something you actually planned to do!
#24 of 39 Old 01-11-2006, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

nak.........
i need to calm down in order to nurse, so i just have to get this off my chest. i called the hosp. to schedule a pku and hearing test. i was asked why he didnt get it while at the hosp. and after that shock, got a deep sigh!!!!!!!!!!!! wtf?????????????? get over yourself!!!!!!!!!
i told them i didnt like their attitude and would try to get the pku done at the mw's. yes, i am a hothead sometimes but i refuse to go thru alll i did to have this babe naturally and then have a nurse treat me like i dont have my babes interest as #1 priority.
i left a message w/ the mw and hope she calls me soon.
#25 of 39 Old 01-11-2006, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ugh Rach!

It's better with the midwives anyways (for us anyways.) They will let you nurse while they warm and poke so it's not as traumatizing for the baby. I can only imagine how crappily my poor ds was handled. I had him in a hospital and they wouldnt let me be there for it. I still hate that I had him there. I can just imagine him screaming in that stupid little plastic bucket cart they push them around in. I feel like a jerk for not doing better with Jevin, I should have demanded to be with him.

Desiree

#26 of 39 Old 01-12-2006, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Desiree,
dont beat yourself up! i had 2 boys who were poked like that...so i feel doubly guilty!
there is a hosp. 5 minutes from us. if i have to deal w/ attitude, i will just go there to get the tests done (pku and hearing ONLY). but my ped. thought this hosp. would be to my liking...so wrong!!!!
i just can't deal with the "omg...you didn't have him in the hospital...how could you?". my answer: "well, i didnt have him in the hospital b/c you ppl cut me wide open twice, drugged me and my kids, and treated my babes like they belonged to YOU before i got out of there." do you think they would like that answer? lol!
i wasnt even going to tell dh, but i did (of course...i cant hold anything in) and his comment was "well, you just need to not let them get to you...you can't get upset at ppl who don't understand". i know he's right, but jeez...i just cant stand the thought that they are judging me for not going to a hospital when it was what was best for my babe (of course, we could have ended up in the hospital and im not saying they are bad for everyone...they were just never good for me).
thanks for the ears,
rach
#27 of 39 Old 01-12-2006, 03:53 PM

I had a UC and took Luka into the pediatrician for the first time at 8 days, and they did the PKU test then and there.
#28 of 39 Old 01-12-2006, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

i sucked it up and called the birth center (part of the hosptial so dont get it confused w/ a birthing center, kwim?). i spoke to a different person and was simply frank with her and told her that i really didn't want to come there, but my ped. recommended their place. i then relayed the conversation i had yesterday and they were very apologetic. i even spoke with the director and she told me if i i had any problem in the future, to give her a call. she gave me her direct line.
i feel much better going there now and made an appt. for tomorrow.
i just wish ppl would understand how beneficial it is for babies to stay away from hospitals!!! lol! more importantly, it was simply my reluctance to accept criticism for something that i know is best for my babe.
thanks for letting me vent...now Ethan will get all his tests b/c his mom was able to rise above it all. yeh right! lol!
rach
#29 of 39 Old 01-13-2006, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

we had a great experince...the nurse who works there used to work w/ my mw....she was awesome w/ E...only one prick and he bled well....passed his hearing test and gained 2 oz. from his birth weight (up 4 oz. since tues.).
sooo... just b/c the person who answers the hone is an a$$ doesnt mean the whole facility is!!!!
rach
#30 of 39 Old 01-15-2006, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesireeH
I can only imagine how crappily my poor ds was handled. I had him in a hospital and they wouldnt let me be there for it. I still hate that I had him there. I can just imagine him screaming in that stupid little plastic bucket cart they push them around in. I feel like a jerk for not doing better with Jevin, I should have demanded to be with him.
I can totally relate. DS#1 was born at the hospital and they did everything imaginable, includeing circumcision. I don't even want to think about them not using anistesia (sp?) and the fact that they didn't bring him into to me immediatly after eventhough I asked that he be brought to be immediatly to nurse. Plus, the PKU, eye gunk, HepB, Vit K, and the 6 hours a day they took him to the nuersery for 'observation' (all the babies went). My DH can't seem to understand why I don't want to have any more babies at the hospital and why I would want to go 2 hours away to a birth center.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page