podaegi instructions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-24-2006, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
this is for those of you who asked me about how to make a podaegi...

i just looked over reverend jan's instructions for making a podaegi and they look pretty thorough so i'm not going to try and rewrite them myself. it's basically the same as what i did anyhow.

podaegi instructions

i do have several suggestions to make, however.
1. do the double layer version - use a cotton twill
(or similar fabric weight) for the inside and any patterned material for the outside.
2. don't do the single strap version (the one where it says 180"). contrary to what she writes, i think it is LESS secure.
3. put batting or thick interfacing in the top piece and the straps to make it more comfortable for both you and you baby. this is VERY important!!!
4. use her measurements as a guideline, but test out the width around your body before cutting the material. the ends of the bottom piece should wrap around your body and overlap at least a foot so there's room for your baby ans seam allowances. you can cut the straps longer, then adjust later because you don't want them to be too small.

remember, you'll want to wait to use this on your back until your baby has good head control.
#2 of 5 Old 01-25-2006, 11:10 AM

thanks for putting this up. it sounds pretty thivk does it get hot? I live in florida and even the wrap i made gets pretty hot and we aren't even into summer yet. (how i hate this hot humid place)

courtney

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#3 of 5 Old 01-25-2006, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

well, it is warmer than some carriers, but keep in mind this is from korea which totally gets hot and humid during th summer. two things you can do: make the single layer version, but make sure to use a cittin twill or similar heavier fabric. second, you can make a narrow version that doesn't wrap all the way around you. you'd have tomodify the measurements but mostly you'd just to ajust the width of the top and bottom pieces, then make the straps longer to compensate. don't adjust the length of the bottom piece though - it's critical to making a secure podaegi.
#4 of 5 Old 01-25-2006, 01:55 PM

Thanks for posting this, Andrea. Maybe I will try to make one again (in all of my spare time LOL - I think I've even forgotten how to run my sewing machine...).

Do you think that a Podaegi could be made out of Solarveil material, maybe double thickness? Maybe that would work for a warm Florida climate? Just a thought; I have no idea as I don't have any Solarveil slings.

In the meantime, I've come up with an amusing new carrier fashion. I put Kali in a Mei Tai-like Packababy, then wrap a wool Rebozo around us semi-Podaegi style - to keep her little feet from catching a draft when we go outside. After I put my poncho on top of all that, it is quite a site to behold. I look like a pregnant lady with large tumors...have been getting stares on the street. Very funny.
#5 of 5 Old 01-25-2006, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralmg
Do you think that a Podaegi could be made out of Solarveil material, maybe double thickness? Maybe that would work for a warm Florida climate? Just a thought; I have no idea as I don't have any Solarveil slings.
i don't know exactly since i've never seen solarveil fabric. bt the key would be - can you get the padding attached the same? the paddingis important - it helps hold the baby in place and makes it more comfy for you and the baby. so if that were still possible, i think it could work.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page