toys for co-sleeping babes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-25-2006, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it just me, or does it seem like all the toys for very young babes are supposed to attach to or dangle above the crib, like mirrors or mobiles? What if you co - cleep? I was thinking of hanging a black-and-white mobile over the changing table, but I don't use it much.

I guess I'll just keep showing him pictures in books, showing him his reflection in the mirror, and get a few rattles for him...?

I am not interested in getting him a bunch of plastic junk, but what, if any, natural toys do y'all recommend for the 2-3 month age?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2006, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hmm, Daphne has a few toys but she doesnt care too much about them. HAHA I got this cloth dangly thing at Target with a bunch of bright colors and hanging things on it (its made out of cloth) and DS likes to dangle it in front of her face. LOL

We have rattles that we got as gifts but she could care less about them. HAHA On the wall next to the changing table I have a photo board thing that you stick pictures in and she looks at that sometimes. We got this bright pink flower light at Ikea too that she stares at alot but other than that she rather just look at us talk to her.

Desiree

Old 01-25-2006, 06:43 PM

i drew some black and white swirls on index cards, made a checkerboard, drew black stars on white index cards, etc...rowan LOVED staring at them. i taped them to the wall next to his changing table too, but were obviously very portable. LOL
Old 01-25-2006, 08:26 PM

This is plastic, but "Pendulum Man" is a kinetic sculpture - super interesting for dads especially it seems and babies are mesmerized by it. This is truly our magic item....Of course it requires someone spinning it to really get them all excited!

http://www.fridgedoor.com/fridgedoor/pendulumman.html

We used to use a ribbon to tie DS's leg or arm to a mobile so he could figure out that when he moved his leg, the mobile moved.

Any black and white drawings you can do with a black Sharpie on white cardboard is bound to be a hit! I made a kitty, doggie and fishie that he stared at for months. I used the cardboard that came with the changing table cover!
Old 01-25-2006, 09:48 PM

Here is a link to some free black and white infant stimulation graphics You can just print them out - no artistic talent required! I've posted a few of them in the changing area and DS seems to like looking at them.

Other than that, he has zero interest in toys. Which is fine with me... I'd rather he was people-centered anyway. We've got one of those baby einstein things with a mat for the baby to lay on and hanging toys. The cats think it's great, but DS couldn't care less. lol... When he gets older I'd like him to have some montessori/waldorf style toys like lincoln logs, wooden blocks, and whatever he pulls out of the kitchen cupboards. Hehe.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taedareth
I'd like him to have ...whatever he pulls out of the kitchen cupboards. Hehe.
Totally our style!! People are always in shock.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

OK, this is good to know. He nurses *all* the time, so I started to wonder if the babe gets enough mental stimulation (other than staring at a round boob all day). Thanks for the great suggestions.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:10 PM

No more toys. No more toys. No more toys.

I'm having issues trying to RID my house of toys. It is unbelievable how many toys are accumulated over the years. I go through the older 2 kids bedrooms about 6 times a year and get rid of tons of stuff...so why do they still have SO MUCH?!?!?

I want to go simple. Blocks, dolls, books, and their imaginations. Will this actually happen? Yeah, right.

So, I haven't even started thinking about toys for Samara.

Bethany, mama to M (9), J (7), S (4), and baby BOY 9/13/10!!
Old 01-28-2006, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taedareth
The cats think it's great, but DS couldn't care less. lol...
this is funny! the only ones sleeping in the crib right now are the cats! i have to find a way to discourage this b/c i do expect ONE DAY Ethan will be sleeping in there! actually, the only ones who are in his room at all are the cats!!!
(other than me getting a chance of clothes or more diapers to put in his bassinett in our room...whose sole purpose is to store things in).
Old 01-31-2006, 02:34 PM

we don't have any toys yet. but i do think reed gets a little bored sometimes. maybe i'll print off a few of those b/w images...
Old 01-31-2006, 09:22 PM

we hung some colorful paper mache fish over her changing table at my mothers house (she cares for her one day a week). at our house she has a colorful sail-boat shaped kite over her changing table. she really likes this fabric block with different textures and black and white graphics on it from baby einstein, i think we got it at target.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:54 PM

Thanks for the link to the graphics, Taedareth! I printed up a couple, pasted them to the back of some posterboard, cut them out and it looks like I bought them at a store. The baby loves looking at them.

User Tag List