bladder infection!!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-31-2006, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i think i have one. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

this SUCKS!!!!

i hope my mw can help me because i haven't even selected a primary physician yet since we switched insurances.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2006, 11:11 PM

Michele!

I've been there myself and it sucks!
Old 01-31-2006, 11:43 PM

Aha - this is a subject I am personally familiar with. I had many bladder infections in my first couple years of marriage and my doctor(s) kept giving me the standard antibiotics. Well, antibiotics work to kill the E. Coli that causes UTIs but they also indescriminately kill all the probiotics in your body, which leaves you open to GI tract problems and yeast infections. Just taking acidophilus caplets and eating yogurt doesn't replace all the myriad varieties of probiotics in your body, either. And once I didn't have health insurance anymore I couldn't afford those expensive antibiotics anyway. All that advice to "wipe from front to back" (like I don't know how to wipe my own bottom?) and "wear cotton underwear" and "drink plenty of water and cranberry juice" didn't help worth beans. So I needed another solution.

After some extensive poking around online, I read about a natural substance called D-Mannose That totally just sounded like an infomercial; sorry. (Has anyone else used this product and did it help you?) Anyway that link I included is to a website that sells it at a really good price with free shipping, offers a 90 day guarantee, and the product is naturally (not chemically) extracted, which from what I've read, is important. So here's the deal about D-Mannose: it's a natural sugar extracted from birch and beech trees (also found in fruits). Very little of it is metabolized and the rest gets flushed out in urine (so it's okay for diabetics). E. Coli, when seen under a microscope, looks like little burrs with sticky arms that latch onto the inner wall of your bladder and urethra and are really hard to get out. But, E. Coli has an easier time bonding to the D-Mannose sugar than to your cell wall, so like velcro it sticks to the sugar molecules and gets flushed out. There's a ton more info about this on the website I linked above. There's a personal testamony on this website, too (although it's by the owner of a company that is trying to sell the product.)

So anyway.... since I bought it I haven't had any bladder infections. Whenever I start to feel one coming on, I take a teaspoon of the D-Mannose with a big glass of water and the infection never develops. BUT - to be honest, I have no idea whether it actually works. Maybe I've just been lucky. I've never waited until I had a raging infection and then seeing if D-Mannose cured it. Last night I started having strong symptoms of an oncoming infection but I actually think it got cured by prayer alone, because I prayed about it ("Oh no, oh no - Jesus please help!!") and the symptoms started diminishing even before I went to the cupboard and took my dose of D-Mannose. In the past whenever I felt the symptoms that strongly it always turned into a massive infection very quickly; it never went away on its own.

So..... all that just to say that even if the D-Mannose is just a placebo, I feel better having a natural remedy on hand because I have such a history of UTIs and I can't afford regular medical care. I would really like to hear from anyone else who's used this remedy - did it work or not?
Old 02-01-2006, 12:39 AM

Michelle she can probably help you. My MW told me I could see her if I had a cold or some small problems. I hope it clears up for you quickly.

User Tag List