I *do* have a pump! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-31-2006, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Sheesh... here I was going on and on about pumping woes (while borrowing the Lansinoh one from my friend -- which was a complete disaster and frustrating to boot!) and then figuring I was going to have to bite a big money bullet and buy a pump... because there are times when a bottle would be nice (not often, but it will) and I don't want to use formula when I have two boobs full of milk here!

(okay... I can't tell a short story... bear with me.. I'll get to the point... I'll try to put an asterisk where the actual point begins, so you can skip to that part if you'd like )

So... dh got the great idea to clean out his side of the closet yesterday while I took a walk. But when I came back our entire room was a COMPLETE disaster. Seriously. Mess city. Seems just cleaning out his side of the closet (and our closet is not large at all) turned into cleaning out the room -- which to him means taking everything out and piling it on the bed.

Um... we've only been in this house for 2.5 years and gosh, our room had Way Too Much Stuff. ... hm... this is getting long... basically, we trashed a ton (gosh, that felt good.... and seriously made me realize we have to stop taking in other people's stuff... and stop buying our own!), gave away A TON and now the room is nice and bare.

** (yep, here's the point ** I found a Medela pump that I had gotten from the hospital back when Madeline was born. I remember that in getting it from the hospital, they would tack it on with my bill, so in effect, the insurance would pay for 80% . It's some sort of multi-purpose pump that can be used as an electric one (don't have the gadgetry for that) or as a manual plunger-type pump.

Obviously, without any motorized equipment, I've had to go with the manual option -- and oh-my-goodness! it works!!! I've gotten far more milk with the manual pump than I ever did with the electric one I borrowed! (granted, I'm getting around 1/2 oz or so for now... but that's partially due to bad timing for pumpings... mostly I was just messing around with it yesterday) So today Lucy got her first all-mama-milk bottle. I just did it because I could and it was kind of fun... just knowing that it was from ME and not a CAN

So... there's a long story with not too much point, but I really think this find is going to be great!!

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 01-31-2006, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's great! I got an electric one today, too. Don't have great experience with pumping, but I'm going to try again.

mom of 3 , homeschooling the oldest with google and the internet
#3 of 7 Old 01-31-2006, 06:56 PM

great find! i think i am going to have to break down and get one in a few months and am not looking forward to it.
dh asked me last night how long we have to wait to go to a movie together...i am seriously thinking of trying out an early matinee one day while Ethan is in a sling. i am sooo against screaming babies, but i think he may sleep through the movie if he is in a sling or nursing.
but...we will eventually go out w/o the babe. of course, dsd is trying to get him to bring the babe to where she lives "so she can see him" (she doesnt want to come here...looong story)....so thats one reason for me not to pump milk right now!!! i know...im evil but i just dont want to be away from him right now. kwim???
#4 of 7 Old 01-31-2006, 11:44 PM

Great news! I'm glad that it is working for you. I've known a couple of girls who do better with a manual pump then an electric. Whatever works!
#5 of 7 Old 02-01-2006, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisraeltax
dh asked me last night how long we have to wait to go to a movie together...i am seriously thinking of trying out an early matinee one day while Ethan is in a sling. i am sooo against screaming babies, but i think he may sleep through the movie if he is in a sling or nursing.
slightly off topic from the thread... we went to a matinee last sunday w/ds and it worked out pretty well. he was asleep when we arrived so i just brought in the carseat and put him in the seat next to me. the only awkward part was when he woke and started fussing and i couldn't get him out quick enough in the dark. after that he nursed and slept on my lap. next time i'll bring a flash light! i'd definitely recommend trying it, rach. at the very least you can leave early if you need to!
#6 of 7 Old 02-01-2006, 02:56 PM

judy bean, good for you! i'm so happy things are going well for you in the bf department. i know it was tough at first, but worth the work, eh? if you get really gung-ho on pumping, may i recommend the avent hand pump? can get on ebay for cheap and i've never seen a poor review of it. i've not used it much past my first few months with ds1 where i was away from him once a week, but every time i've used it, i've had an easy time of getting out lots. (used to do it one handed in the car on the way home from work and get out 8 oz!)

rach, if you do the matinee, may i recommend a drama or chick flick? the action flicks are WAY too loud on baby's ears. (took ds1 to the incredible mr. ripley which has a few fights, a few bar scenes and a really loud gunshot in it and had to scrape the poor kid off that high ceiling afterwards. not so relaxing for him! )
#7 of 7 Old 02-03-2006, 12:52 AM

Totally off topic, but judybean, I love to read your posts. Your writing style makes me !

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page