what a day/night! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-07-2006, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I am so excited about this (though a bit embarrassed as well.... because ... well, gosh, you should know by now I can't even come close to telling a short story..) .... so here it goes...

In the beginning I struggled with breastfeeding. Heck, 'struggled' even sounds like too fluffy of a word. It sucked. Terribly. And I quit for a few days (though fully knowing it was simply a break to heal). So supplementation with formula was in order.

After my break I continued to work. I saw a fabulous LC. I kept working on things. And finally, they started getting better. So good that I was down to one bottle per day. Just two measly ounces of formula. But I was terrified to give it up.

You see, the bottle would be a nighttime bottle. And as we probably all know, formula is not digested as quickly (because it's not as perfect as breastmilk), and since it sits in baby's tummy for longer, they feel fuller longer and (in theory) sleep longer.

Sleep is ... well, a thing of the past. And I was all for enjoying any little bit of sleep I could get. So I just couldn't let myself let go of that one bottle.

But then two nights ago we were out. And I just couldn't bring myself to buy anymore (I about put that I refused to buy more, but that's just not true... I totally thought about it and almost did it... it was mostly out of laziness -- and the thought of somebody seeing me buying formula** -- that I didn't do it). So I didn't.

ANd... can I say that the nights were GREAT!!! Last night Lucy even slept six hours straight!!! Gosh, I feel like we have come so darn far in these six weeks... it's really night and day the difference! There are still issues that pop up from time to time, but... phew... I feel we'll make it

** yes.... even though we were obviously using some formula, I loathed buying the two cans we purchased. I felt like such a slug. Almost like a kid buying condoms at the local grocery store. I hid the stuff in my cart behind other objects and kind of slid it onto the rolly thing (behind other stuff so nobody around would really notice it) at the check-out. I didn't want people to think that was *all* I was feeding Lucy. Because that's just not the person I want to be right now! ... yeah, I'm a bit but... it works to Lucy's benefit -- at least in this case

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 02-07-2006, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
woohooo!!! great job judy for sticking it out! you're such a good, loving mama!
#3 of 4 Old 02-07-2006, 08:05 PM

::: Just another WAHM using this forum to put off picking up toys and cleaning my house.
#4 of 4 Old 02-08-2006, 12:42 AM

LOL, Judy, and congrats! I think there's something magical about that 6 week mark - it's like all of the newborn breastfeeding issues finally resolve themselves at that point. At least, that's how it's been for my first 3.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page