All Stuffed Up - suggestions? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-07-2006, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First my DH was sick, then I got sick and now Scarlett is sick...

I just had a very stuffed up nose and my throat was a little sore and was better in two days...

Yesterday she started sounding snuffily and by evening she was REALLY stuffed up. Still she was able to feed okay and it probable bothers me more than it bothers her (the sound, I mean)...

So I put some drops of breastmilk up her nose and then sucked some stuff out with an aspirator (which I really didn't want to use...it seems so unfriendly ). We've sat in the bathroom together with the shower running very hot water so we'd get some steam goin'...anything other tricks to try? Homeopathics? Ways to make her feel better?

Thanks,

Kelli
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2006, 02:35 PM

we were all stuffy a couple of weeks ago. do you havea vaporizer? if so, put in water like normal, but add a few drops of eucalyptus essential oil. just keep nursing scarlett and doing expressed bm like you are. we had to use the suction thingy at night a couple of times when he really couldn't breathe too, so don't feel bad about it. keep your house as moist as possible.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:38 PM

oh one more thing...for you, you can use eucalyptus eo applied to the skin directly under your nose. it's one of te few eo's that you can apply undiluted to skin. i just wouldn't do thatwith a baby though. hope you feel better soon!
Old 02-07-2006, 05:53 PM

keep going with the ebm up the nose too. maybe the antiviral qualities will kick in for you on one of the applications. i did it a few times to ds and suddenly he was practically snot free!
Old 02-07-2006, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapscallions
keep going with the ebm up the nose too. maybe the antiviral qualities will kick in for you on one of the applications. i did it a few times to ds and suddenly he was practically snot free!
Snot free? That sounds nice . Thanks for the support and suggestions everyone. Will update with what worked...

Kelli
Old 02-08-2006, 01:49 AM

I just took Joie to the Ped on Sat because of this very thing. She's my first baby that's ever been sick!!! The Ped is very NFL and this is what she recommended--

I second the eucalyptus EO. I like to take a shower with my (snotty, too ) baby and put E in with us.

Vaporizor is really important at night.

Like you meantioned - Breastmilk in the nose for the count of 60 followed by a snot sucky thingie. One thing my Ped told me about the snot sucker is that instead of putting it upwards, it's best to put it in horizontally, because it actually gets to where the gettin's good.

Here's an illustration - see how straight up just kind of goes to a dead end? But, putting the sucky thing horizontal goes to where the mucus comes from.
http://training.seer.cancer.gov/modu...l_cavities.jpg

Also, the Ped said to not use it more than two times a day, because it causes swelling if used more than that.

She also said, don't use it if you don't want to.

Spark and her four firecrackers.

User Tag List