Thread for whining about all those expensive slings we're dying to get - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 03-29-2006, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
lol ok I thought this thread needed to exist....

I just spent an hour reading reviews on thebabywearer.com, and scanning their trading post forum with the intensity of a ravenous wolf. It's actually a good thing that I couldn't find a Leo Marine Storch or a GypsyMama wrap because it woulda KILLED me to see one for sale and not been able to buy it! Why do I do this to myself? rofl.... I'm just hoping some of my stuff on the MDC trading post will sell. I seriously have to get a woven wrap. I like my stretchy knit one but it's bulky and too short for back carries. Thinking I could make my own by cutting a sheet into strips and sewing them together, I dyed a white sheet with Kool-Aid. I was going for burgundy, but it came out this pastel pink color. Bah!

Anybody else want to whine about all those lovely slings you're dying to get but can't afford, or can't justify?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 30 Old 03-30-2006, 01:53 AM

omg! im on the hunt for a storch! i think i am going to break down and get a new one though b/c the difference in price is very little, kwim?

i had to stop going to tbw for awhile..i would look at pages and pages for hours on end after E went to sleep...

so im right there with you! !
#3 of 30 Old 03-30-2006, 09:26 AM

yeah i've forced myself to stop looking. i don't go there anymore. i...just...can't.
#4 of 30 Old 03-30-2006, 10:53 AM

mchelle,
did you get an adustable mt? i saw one for cheap yesterday at tbw and thought of you.
rach
#5 of 30 Old 03-30-2006, 05:28 PM

My DH caught me wearing the new MT Jenn from The Cat's Meow made for us. I look terrible as always 'cause I'm the least photogenic person on earth, but I thought I'd share.

Greyson in the new MT
#6 of 30 Old 03-30-2006, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisraeltax
mchelle,
did you get an adustable mt? i saw one for cheap yesterday at tbw and thought of you.
rach
oooohhhhh what's the link?

That is, only if Michele hasn't claimed it yet.

mom of 3 , homeschooling the oldest with google and the internet
#7 of 30 Old 03-30-2006, 06:32 PM

here it is:
adjustable mai tai
#8 of 30 Old 03-30-2006, 08:42 PM

panthira i want to get a mei tai from jenn cat's do you have the long?is it workig well?can you wear the baby legs out?
courtney

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#9 of 30 Old 03-30-2006, 09:29 PM

Yeah, I got the long body, padded headrest and legs, and toy loop. Yes, he can wear his legs out but he doesn't mind them tucked in, so for now we do that. I like her carrier a lot because it's so pliable, lightweight, and compact. I picked the flower fabric, she matched her own material for the straps and I love the blue she chose. It matches perfectly with the fabric.
#10 of 30 Old 03-30-2006, 10:13 PM

cool now can i have the diffrence between the mei tai and the onhimbu? what do you all like better? what are the advantages to the diffrent carriers?

Courtney

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#11 of 30 Old 03-30-2006, 10:21 PM

Oh, Pan I have that fabric on my babyhawk MT and love it! Mine has cranberry straps. I think you both look gorgeous!
#12 of 30 Old 03-31-2006, 12:48 PM

Ok , MM's saga drew me over to TBW yesterday. I have only used slings and am loving my Maya Wrap, but doing chores with it on gets awkward as Sam will tip and the sholder rides up and there is that long tail. A wrap will seem to solve those problems.I saw an EllaRoo for $43 and that seemed doable. I like the Guatemalen fabric. I called a friend and asked her about it. My friend is a leader with NINO and knows everything. Well, I ended up with her mobey wrap (I like it!) to try out for a few days and a list of desirable wraps. ellaroo isn't becasue they run short and I am rather well padded. Now I am wanting the storch and wondering how I can I get it. I may start with getting a mobey as they are only $35 and I can get it locally and avoid shipping. Thanks a lot Michelle!
#13 of 30 Old 03-31-2006, 03:06 PM

The next carrier I'm thinking of getting is an Ergo. Has anyone tried one before? If so, are they comfortable and easy to put on? Dh's b-day is coming up and I think it'll be the perfect gift for him (and me) . Dh needs a carrier he can put on by himself because he still needs help putting on the MT, and he hasn't even come close to attempting the storch. I think it's the perfect excuse to add to my carrier collection .
#14 of 30 Old 03-31-2006, 03:38 PM

this sounds like a man getting a woman a power tool for her bday! kwim??

just teasing you...
#15 of 30 Old 04-01-2006, 01:19 PM

The Ergo is basically the ONLY carrier my DH will use and likes to use. The adjustable straps + buckles make it really "man friendly" IMHO. He made scrambled eggs this morning with the baby in it!
#16 of 30 Old 04-01-2006, 02:27 PM

I have been using the KKAFP w/ Ben all this time but got my Moby Wrap in the mail yesterday and ADORE it!

I still want a mei tai and was thinking of a babyhawk...do they have long backs on them? Benny is long torsoed like his big sis and I'm thinking we will need that. Where is the other site where you picked up the long torsoed MT??

I also would like to get something for the water for the summer and to take to the Y for Family Swim. I'm thinking a solarveil sling but not sure what kind to get?? Any recommendations??

Hugs to everyone!
#17 of 30 Old 04-01-2006, 03:18 PM

Quote:
this sounds like a man getting a woman a power tool for her bday! kwim??
Yup, I won't deny it! At least I am pretty sure dh would like an Ergo and he would get a lot of use out of it (even if he doesn't realize it right away ). I should mention that for my birthday, the big 3-0, which was just a week before ds was born, dh got me baby clothes and a can opener. Practical, sure, but come on!

Quote:
I still want a mei tai and was thinking of a babyhawk...do they have long backs on them? Benny is long torsoed like his big sis and I'm thinking we will need that.
We love our Babyhawk!! It's super easy to put on and so comfortable, not to mention lovely. We always get many compliments. We went on a 3hr walk and ds slept in the MT much of the time. I know that BH has an XT option with a longer torso.
#18 of 30 Old 04-01-2006, 05:37 PM

Christine - Jenny from the Cat's Meow makes custom Mei Tais with a long body. We are super happy with our. I would recommend you get the head padding if you do order from her. It's also a LOT less expensive than a BH MT.

Here's her link if you're interested:
The Cat's Meow

We also have a BH in the shorter body version, and it's not our favorie MT, but still works alright.
#19 of 30 Old 04-02-2006, 12:30 AM

so we are going with the long mei tai from the cat's meow but i am sending in a custonm fabric. which oddly makes it cost more. every other place it knocks some cost off. but it is still cheaper then every other place even with the extra charge. i gotta get to it and order the fabric so i can send it in. i used an infintino today when we went to this native american festival and carnivol. it was sort of uncomfertable though. a lot of weight rests on your stomache, like all of the babies weight and pushes in. sucky. plus the straps are to thin and start to hurt. at least i wore here though it is sooo much better then carrying her around. that HURTS my arm muscles and i can't do anything. gosh i just don't know why everyone doesn't wear their babies, especially if they have a toddler.

courtney

off topic rach i read your blog but i can't write a response b/c i don't feel like joiniing blogger.

#20 of 30 Old 04-02-2006, 10:20 AM

im thinking of selling some of my wraps to fund the rest of my storch. do you guys think its ok to sell a wrap for what you paid for it if you never wore it out of the house? i never wore this anywhere (its an onbu) and only tried it on in teh house twice..i just dont do well with them. i dont know why..i just like the MT better..makes me feel more secure, esp. with him on my back, kwim??

there are so many tempting mt's trying to sway me away from my goal of a storch...but i shall not waiver...i must maintain focus!!
#21 of 30 Old 04-02-2006, 04:55 PM

ok i know i am sort of the odd woman out concerning the whole carrier thing. I'm just not addicted yet.

but what exactly is a storch i am so lost. you all keep refering to things and i jut don't know what you are talking about.

courtney

#22 of 30 Old 04-02-2006, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Storchenweige - it's a wrap like a Moby except woven, not knitted. Storch and Didymos are both German-made wraps and they're considered the "cadillac" of wraps, as reflected in the über prices. They run about $130.

And Rachel - yes, I think you can sell it for the new price if it's still in new condition. But one thing you'll have to consider is why would someone buy from you if they can buy it from the manufacturer for the exact same price and get the manufacturer's 30 day return guarantee (or whatever)? You might want to knock off $5 or something to entice buyers. Just an idea
#23 of 30 Old 04-02-2006, 08:14 PM

Taedareth, i didnt mean that i bought it "new"...just that it was new to me. and it isnt expensive (like $40) but since i got no wear out of it, id like to get that amt. back. of course, you never know how much anyone is willing to sell for but i just wanted others' opinions on WWYD?? kwim?

courtney,
i LOVE my moby wrap..i really do...but the Storch's get all the rave (well the Didy's too). they just look really yummy and i cant wait to get one..almost there!!!
#24 of 30 Old 04-04-2006, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter

Oh! Yeah you can definitely sell it for what you bought it for =)
#25 of 30 Old 04-04-2006, 10:43 AM

i just broke down and purchased a new MT that is rev. w/ pockets on both sides and a toy ring (its a BH XT) so now my storch is out of reach for another 2 weeks at least (bought ds3 a wardrobe for 18-24 months for $75...how can you beat that??). a.so bought a tester sling on hyena last night.

stay focused rach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ill never get my storch at this rate.
#26 of 30 Old 04-04-2006, 10:44 AM

LMAO!!!
i pass the torch to you. you are the new carrier obsessed mommy. although, kristin is silently buying and selling like a MADWOMAN over there. she just doesn't TALK about it on here. LOL
#27 of 30 Old 04-04-2006, 10:56 AM

yeh i think its kind of unfair of kristin...i mean, she has all the experience and shes mum about it!!! now that i have bought these 2 carriers, i hve to sell the onbu and at least another 2... i have a maya wrap that i dont use but its my only ring sling. why do i need to keep it??? but i feel weird without any ring sling, yk???
hmmm...
once babe is down i may find some sh*t around the house to sell on ebay to fund my addiction! hmm... dh has a nice watch in the jewelry box...ds3 has a nice ipod.. just kidding!!!
#28 of 30 Old 04-04-2006, 11:20 AM

sorry...I just didn't want to whine about all the expensive slings I want when I've just been buying them - I've turned wrap-obsessed now so I'm trying to sell a few MT's to fund another wrap...
#29 of 30 Old 04-04-2006, 11:24 AM

Oh and Rach...if you don't love the MT I sent you in the swap, sell that -- it won't hurt my feelings...surely someone here needs something pretty for a wedding or something!
#30 of 30 Old 04-04-2006, 02:41 PM

well, my strategy after getting to around 10 carriers is that i have to sell some if i want to buy others.

i just wanted the BH b/c ive heard so many thigns about it...i THOUGHT i had purchased a BH before but it wasnt one and i was soo disappointed.

kofduke, i love the MT you sent! i am so bad about leaving fb on the swap lists right now b/c i am so confused about which swap came from which swap list! i am on 3 right now and its driving me crazy! ppl dont put their MDC name on the swaps and i try to figure out who its from then i come here and forget to post a thank you!!! sorry about that! i did the same thing to Panthira, if thats any condolence!! ill try to find the list now!

but you still should tell us what you are getting, etc. we could live vicariously thorugh you!!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page