How do you think he GOT this big? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 04-06-2006, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It wasn't similac, let me tell you that.

Luke had his 4-month appointment yesterday, weighing in at 16 lbs. 12 oz., and a whopping 26 1/2" long. And "you don't supplement at all? never? really?"

So, I got the talk about maybe starting rice cereal and fruits, since b/fing is, after all, a supply and demand issue. I think the doctor realized I wasn't buying it so he backed off (I'm not saying to start today, just think about it in the next few weeks, it's hard to start in the summertime becuase their appetite decreases....)

I like my doctor, he's great with Aaron's asthma and is gentle and loving to the children, but I do think the office is a bit undereducated in terms of breastfeeding! For me not a biggie, but I hope that other mamas who aren't as educated on these issues aren't swayed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 28 Old 04-06-2006, 11:11 AM

Wow! What a big boy! You must be so proud.

Bethany, mama to M (9), J (7), S (4), and baby BOY 9/13/10!!
#3 of 28 Old 04-06-2006, 11:18 AM

That's why I try to stay away from Dr's offices as much as I can. Our boys are very close in age (D was born 11/22/05) and ds is 18 pounds. He is half the weight of my 4.5 yr old dd ;-) - she was almost a year old before she got to 18 pounds.. and I remember her ped suggesting supplementing. Neither of them ever had a drop of formula.

Funny how supplementing is the suggestion for both small and big babies.. well sad really, not funny.
#4 of 28 Old 04-06-2006, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

You know, part of me thinks it's lame to be proud of the size of my baby...and the other part is like D*&&N! I DID THAT! MY BODY! - so I guess I am kind of proud...
#5 of 28 Old 04-06-2006, 12:07 PM

damn straight you should be proud!! YAY!!! i wanna see your boys again!! i forgot to schedule her 4mo visit so i guess i should do that. i haven't scheduled rowan's 3yr visit...i'm gonna wait a bit more...
#6 of 28 Old 04-06-2006, 12:42 PM

If your baby is "big" and growing well and it is all from breastmilk...why the suggestion to add more food? Clearly, the breast cream, oops, excuse me, breast milk, is doing the job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Help me to understand how this makes sense to anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kelli

PS Scarlett is 3 and 1/2 months and weighed in at 16 lb 2 oz yesterday!!!
#7 of 28 Old 04-06-2006, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
nak

way to grow! i never understood that either......if they are growing just fine on bm, why do they suggest supplementing!? LOL

Desiree

#8 of 28 Old 04-06-2006, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
nak

way to grow! i never understood that either......if they are growing just fine on bm, why do they suggest supplementing!? LOL

Desiree

#9 of 28 Old 04-06-2006, 04:18 PM

Alright, lets hear it for big healthy babies. Yipee!!!!

Tharen weighed in at 16lbs 1oz and 25 1/4 inches. I am lucky though, Dr. H would never suggest supplementing. He is super pro-breastfeeding. He said if Tharen was interested or I really wanted to we could start cereal, but at this age he doesn't need anything but "the good stuff". LOL And I noticed he was wearing an anti-circ awareness bracelet.
#10 of 28 Old 04-06-2006, 06:25 PM

i think drs. are just idiots (oh, sorry..i think thats against the rules). i dont think that of all drs. we see the NP but meet the "real" dr. this month for his 4 month...the NP would never suggest supplementing to me and is very conscious of AP stuff...even asked me a lot about it last time.
im not the most super crunchy person in teh world..my friends IRL just THINK i am (b/c they are so clueless really. lol!).

i just dont get it though. i have read that introducing solids too early can cause allergies, mess with their digestive system, etc. I didn't know this before of course, but i just dont understand. are drs. just brainwashed into believing babies need to start eating?? WHY???

may never get answers to my questions. largely rhetorical i guess.
#11 of 28 Old 04-06-2006, 06:40 PM

Okay, inspired by this thread, I decided to weigh DD for the first time since she was born (we haven't taken her to the doctor and our scale was broken - I went out and bought a cheapo scale to day).

Well, cheapo scale or not, she weighed in at 18.5 pounds. I am flabbergasted. I weighed her three times. And she is 26.5 inches. I checked in our pediatric mega-manual and those measurements are both off the charts. So there formula and food pushers, take that! Nearly-vegetarian Mamamilk rules again.

(this is so especially amazing to me because DS was such a tiny guy, always...but he was born 3.5 weeks early.)
#12 of 28 Old 04-06-2006, 06:57 PM

I don't get the pushing solids thing either. What could possibly be better for babies than breastmilk? Not to mention how much easier (and less messy) it is to just keep nursing and not offer solids till they can at least eat finger foods and not just pablum.
#13 of 28 Old 04-06-2006, 07:01 PM

Hooray for breastmilk!!

(Going home to feed my baby now)
#14 of 28 Old 04-06-2006, 07:24 PM

Is this the bragging thread? hehehe.... Wesley was 18lbs at his 3.5 month checkup. Our doc is great, though. He doesn't push vaxing and has never suggested supplementation.

Here's from my blog:
March 20 -
Wesley is 14 weeks old and just had his second "well baby" checkup today. He is now 25 3/4" long and weighs exactly 18 lbs. Our family doc was impressed with his growth and overall health and development. In fact, compared to the "standardized" growth charts, Wesley is off the chart, and his length/weight are beautifully proportionate. (But it's not really fair to compare him to the "standardized" charts because they don't take the totally breastfed baby into account. I looked up a WHO growth chart for breastmilk-only babies and Wesley is still well above average but within the norm - he's around the 90th percentile.)
#15 of 28 Old 04-06-2006, 07:38 PM

*sigh*
My baby is probably 11 pounds. Maybe 12 with a wet diaper and clothes on.
#16 of 28 Old 04-06-2006, 07:49 PM

Mine is 11lb too and at her last WCC she was at the 50th percentile. Nothing wrong with super chunka babies, nothing wrong with average sized or petite babies either!
#17 of 28 Old 04-06-2006, 08:18 PM

Greyson is in the 10th percentile for baby boys his age. I didn't know they didn't take exclusively BF babies into account though. That's interesting and weird. Society is weird.
#18 of 28 Old 04-07-2006, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
pan... lucy is a long skinny baby too. at two months she was 10 lb 4 oz (she was born at 8 lb 12 oz). while i see a lot of babes moving up to mediums already here.... lucy wears smalls. and on her small vb aio i still have to sew on the crossover tabs or it's too big! and her kissaluvs 0s? still fit. on the tightest snaps : .

i'm not sure what she is now, but i might have her weighed tomorrow at public health just to see (that and I don't want to pay for a real doctor's visit just to get her weight... and our public health office is super nice). i'm curious mostly. ... i need to get out the measuring tape and see how long she is now. i swear she's grown three inches in the last month!!!

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
#19 of 28 Old 04-07-2006, 12:10 AM

Will is somewhere in the middle, about 14lbs, but long--27 inches! His big brother was exactly the same - we used to call him the "bird baby" because he was so gangly.

There was this sweet little South American lady at church who always used to chide me that "shubby babies are healthy babies," and would beg me to feed DS1 more. Well, now that he's five years old, I can look back and say with certainty that my skinny little bird baby has grown into one of the healthiest, brightest kids I know. He's hardly ever sick, and his color and vitality are beautiful.

God makes 'em each unique. Give those babies that healthy breastmilk, and they'll be exactly who they're supposed to be! Squeeze those "shubby" babies, and cherish those petite ones, too. They're all just so precious.
#20 of 28 Old 04-07-2006, 01:25 AM

ahh doctors are great. (sarcasm)

i watched (god forbid) bringing baby home on TLC. well a mom was actually BF but the first shot of the kid eating the mom is giving formula and saying "this will fill you up, that colostrum doesn't have much to it" then flash to her saying they would only let her leave the hospital if they promised to supplement with formula everyday.arrgghh poor impresionable mothers who don't know any better are wathcing this.

my doctor said once "hey i'm progressive my wife breastfed our kids for a year" dh said i should have said "i'm retro i breastfed a 2 1/2 year old"

Feeney is 13 lbs 11 oz at 3 months. she looks like a little chunker, well she has sumo boobies at least.

courtney

chi chi i miss you.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#21 of 28 Old 04-07-2006, 04:27 PM

sophie weighed 10lbs 2oz 2 1/2 weeks ago i figure she must be about 11lbs by now maybe a little more and she is is now 4 1/2 months!!

there is just such a huge range of normal and healthy babies

i dont think doctors can cope with that and want them all the same othewise they get all confused!!
#22 of 28 Old 04-07-2006, 04:45 PM

Luka is 17 lbs. and 24" at 3.5 mos. His big brother was only 18.13 at his 1 yr. checkup, but was 27" at 3 mos... they are so different! Of course, my "underweight baby" is now an "overweight" 3 yr. old, still on mama milk and a junk-free, vegetarian diet.
#23 of 28 Old 04-07-2006, 05:22 PM

Way to go with those big healthy babies, Mammas!

My Carys is just over 3 months (she turned 3 months on March 29). This past week she weighed in at 14 lbs 11 oz and 24 inches long. She's sooooo chubby and has dimples everywhere. And she's only ever had breastmilk.

Weary SuperMama superhero.gifto my  amazing neurodiverse 6 y.o. DD hearts.gif and to my on-the-go neurotypical 3 y.o. DS wild.gif

#24 of 28 Old 04-07-2006, 07:37 PM

DS was in the 5th percentile for what seemed like ages. But my badge of honor was that he never lost weight right after birth or ever but just kept gaining! We breastfed exclusively for a year and didn't really stop....ever. He had some this morning.
#25 of 28 Old 04-07-2006, 09:43 PM

My boy is a good 15+ lbs by now (just over 3 mos) and hasn't had anything but baby food, oops I mean breastmilk. Why do some people think mama milk isn't food??

Someone at the store last week said, "Oh, what a Gerber baby." My response? "Gerber has nothing to do with it!"

I belong to a mother's group IRL, mostly mainstream types who think I'm nuts to be co-sleeping, ECing, not giving bottles of EBM, and babywearing (no stroller!), not to mention living on a sailboat. As the babies hit 4 mos they're talking about weaning at 6 mos. Funny thing is, I met these women at a breastfeeding support group!
#26 of 28 Old 04-08-2006, 01:29 PM

I'm SO appreciating my ped. right now! DS was 4 months on the 4th and weighed in at 22 pounds! The doctor asked if he was exclusively breastfed and says "Wow, good work mamma." and cracked a joke about when the day does come that I decide to give him solids he'll probably be a chow hound. No pushing solids or anything. He's originally from India so the concepts of babywearing, breastfeeding and co-sleeping are perfectly normal to him!
#27 of 28 Old 04-08-2006, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLlama
DS was 4 months on the 4th and weighed in at 22 pounds!
Wow! My kids don't hit that weight until well after their first bdays!

What size is he wearing?
#28 of 28 Old 04-09-2006, 07:29 PM

He's into about 9mo size clothes a couple 12mo items. It's funny because he's got such a robust middle, but his arms and legs aren't quite as long so a long sleeved onsie will fit his torso, but the sleeves will have to be rolled up twice.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page