We had to give my baby formula - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 04-07-2006, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last night, just before bed, I noticed I was seeing spots. These are Auras or something like that. They are prelude to having a major migraine headache, but they went away after a few minutes and I felt very relieved. I stopped getting migraines like this when I figured out peanuts triggered them.
I went to bed, but woke up around 3 am with my head pounding. I managed to sleep a few more hours, and woke up around 6 am feeling like a vice was squeezing my head, getting tighter and tighter. I started feeling waves of nausea and began to throw up uncontrollably. Hurting my new incisions in the process.
I begged my husband (who is home this week to help with the kids since I'm recovering from surgery) to make the pain stop. Anything to make it stop. He called a doctor I haven't seen in a couple of years and asked them to give me something, but they said all I could take during BF is Tynenol. I can tdell you all that is a joke. So, out of desperation, I said I'll give the baby formula, give me some %^&* medicine.

I feel so bad, but on the other hand I could not stand the pain another minute. My DH made me feel a bit better about it by saying it won't be forever, just a day and then we can get back to the breast. We had used up all the freezer EBM for my surgery.

I just don't understand why my body is doing this to me. I feel betrayed. Like I'm breaking down. I'm broken somehow. I haven't had anything with peanuts or peanut oils or manufactured in a plant that proccesses them. Even though I took the pills, and I can only take 2 in 24 hours, I still feel the throbbing in my head coming back. Worrisome.
#2 of 21 Old 04-07-2006, 11:43 PM

Oh, mama, it's so hard. Perhaps your body is reacting to something that happened during your surgery? Or sleep deprivation? I hope you feel better and get that baby back to the breast soon. Remember to pump & dump during your time off so you don't end up with mastitis too.

I have taken Excedrin Migraine while bf'ing...perhaps if you need something stronger than tylenol but not a prescription drug it's something you could check on with a doctor you trust?
#3 of 21 Old 04-07-2006, 11:52 PM

I hope you can get to the bottom of this. How horrible for you...Sending warm healing wishes your way...
#4 of 21 Old 04-08-2006, 12:20 AM

oh Pan im so sorry to hear that. i was wondering why i hadnt heard from you. i hope you get to feeling better soon and get back to bf'ing. You aren't broken, but i can see how you would feel that way.
sending s
rach
#5 of 21 Old 04-08-2006, 12:34 AM

oh i am so sorry that has to be so tough. hope you feel better soon, i know how horrible migraines can be.as for the puking it probably was just from the pain. i puke when i am in a lot of pain.

kofduke can you take excedrin migraine well BF i get migraines and tylenol does nothing, and it is so hard to take care of the kids like that.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#6 of 21 Old 04-08-2006, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelysmommy

kofduke can you take excedrin migraine well BF i get migraines and tylenol does nothing, and it is so hard to take care of the kids like that.
You know I haven't taken it this time but I really think I remember doing it while bfing Aaron. It's just a mix of acetominophen (Tylenol), caffeine, and asprin...not sure if asprin is safe but that's the only one that I guess would be a concern? I'd check with someone hwo knows for sure and not rely on my faulty memory.
#7 of 21 Old 04-08-2006, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kofduke
You know I haven't taken it this time but I really think I remember doing it while bfing Aaron. It's just a mix of acetominophen (Tylenol), caffeine, and asprin...not sure if asprin is safe but that's the only one that I guess would be a concern? I'd check with someone hwo knows for sure and not rely on my faulty memory.
There's an aspirin-free version.
#8 of 21 Old 04-08-2006, 01:19 AM

Not in your group but had to respond. Most meds are fine while breastfeeding- post on the breastfeeding forums for someone with Hales to look it up. Drs. just tell you not to nurse to cover their behinds.

-Angela
#9 of 21 Old 04-08-2006, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for bringing up the Excederin Migraine. I remember a doctor told me it was OK to take it when I was nursing my 2 yr old. It did really help the "minor" migraines. I doubt it would have touched this one though, or that I could have kept it down. My headache is coming back and I just checked our cabinet and we have some in there so I'm going to take a couple rather than take more of the other med the doctor prescribed.
I've pumped once (got 6 ounces out of each breast), and I'll pump once or twice more before I nurse Greyson again. I miss the closeness with him.

It was strange. Greyson screamed and screamed and wouldn't drink much of the formula, until I (not DH) fed him the bottle. Then he drank and drank several bottles. Formula stinks!! I mean it smells really bad! Yuck. I nursed all of my 4 kids (pumped for my now 14 yr old disabled son who couldn't suck from a breast), so I didn't know it smelled so atrocious.
#10 of 21 Old 04-08-2006, 02:30 AM

I'm not in your group either but your post caught my eye. I get migraines too and have spent many years just bearing the pain (that often will last 24 hours and then add another day for recovery). I have found that the trick is to take something the second I think I might be getting one, unfortunately I think part of the deal is that at that point you don't really believe that it will develop into a full blown migraine so you put it off (at least I do). But I've found that if I can recognize it's coming, that's the time to take something. If I let the pain set fully set in it's simply to late and no matter what I take, at the most it will merely 'take the edge off'.
Tylenol does nothing for me either, I take 2 or 3 Advil if I really want to nip it. As far as I know Advil is ok for bf... my dd is 2 and a half now and I still try to take the pills right after I've nursed to minimize her exposure but I believe it's considered 'safe'.
#11 of 21 Old 04-08-2006, 03:05 AM

Grrr. Just wrote a whole reply and lost it. Argh. Let me sum up...

I'm not in your DDC either but do get bad migraines and wanted to chime in.

I have taken Darvocet both for severe back pain and for migraines while BFing and it was fine for my DS. The dr. said it was the best option for both of us. I took it as minimally as possible but it was a life saver when things were bad.

Also, when I feel like I'm getting a migraine I try to head it off at the pass by taking 600mg of Ibuprofen. My dr said that this is also just fine while BFing. Again, I took it as sparingly as possible but I have noticed that if I take it right away I can sometimes escape the full blown deal.

I hope that this blows over and you're feeling normal very soon. I'm so sorry you're going through this. Take good care.

First and foremost, Mama to Owen blahblah.gif (7/21/04), Annalieseenergy.gif  (7/29/09), and somebody new bigeyes.gif  (due Feb 2012), and wife to Andrew (9/12/98). Also passionate about and loving the work I do in Organizational Development.

#12 of 21 Old 04-08-2006, 03:33 AM

mom of 3 , homeschooling the oldest with google and the internet
#13 of 21 Old 04-08-2006, 04:40 AM

#14 of 21 Old 04-08-2006, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthira
He called a doctor I haven't seen in a couple of years and asked them to give me something, but they said all I could take during BF is Tynenol.
to you Mama. Migraines are no fun whether you have a babe to take care of or not. I know for a fact that the MDs statement is a lie. If all they gave to moms who have had a C-sec is acetaminophen, then they would be in too much pain to take care of their babes. Out of curiosity, what pain relief are you taking? Is it a migraine-specific med. or an opioid analgesic? LMK and I will look it up for you. I hope you feel better!!!
#15 of 21 Old 04-08-2006, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

I am taking Imitrex, also known as Sumatriptan.
I want to say thank you all for the hugs, support, and information. You DDC and MDC mamas rock!

I found this from a link posted in the BF forum Here Kellymom:

I've collected a few suggestions that are reported to be helpful for migraines:

Cayenne Pepper:

Taking cayenne inside the nose helps to open up the blood vessels. This enables the blood to get nutrients to all parts of the brain. Warning - this can burn a bit, so keep the grains of cayenne down to as few as possible.

To stop a migraine follow these simple steps:

Open the capsule and dip the flat end of a dry toothpick into the cayenne to pick up 3-4 grains.
Block one nostril and gently put cayenne up the other nostril.
Sniff deeply 3-4 times until you feel the flecks of pepper in your throat. (If you don't feel this, do it again).
Once you feel the warmth in your throat, you headache should be gone in minutes
Other suggestions:

Taking 500 mg of magnesium per day and increasing your water intake to 8-10 glasses per day can be helpful. One person reported that her migraines were still coming at the time they usually did (during her cycle), but were much less intense and went away faster.

Another person resolved her migraine problem by eliminating ALL animal fat the week before menstruation (skim milk, non-fat yogurt ok), and adding evening primrose oil to her diet.

If you feel that you need migraine meds, keep in mind that a number of migraine meds are considered compatible with breastfeeding, including Sumatriptan (Imitrex).

Here are a couple of outside links:

Natural Migraine Treatment FAQ. "This Natural Migraine Treatment FAQ, posted to alt.support.headaches.migraine, attempts to summarize all non-medical treatments that help prevent or cure migraine headaches. Most treatments mentioned here have worked for many people, and usually have a theoretical basis as well. This FAQ doesn't discuss drugs."

How to Prevent Primary Headaches/Migraines by Manipulating Caffeine Intake. The author theorizes that all primary headache, including all migraine, may be caffeine withdrawal - might be worth a try!
#16 of 21 Old 04-08-2006, 08:39 AM

not in your group either but I have a copy of Hale in my hand

maternal plasma half-life of Imitrex is 1.3 hours
milk half-life is 2.22 hours

absolute milk concentrations were low.

no pediatric concerns reported via milk.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#17 of 21 Old 04-08-2006, 10:49 AM

I am so sorry you are going through this. I can give you the phone number of a really good lactation consultant in Antioch if you want to talk to someone about meds. Let me know and I can pm it to you.
#18 of 21 Old 04-08-2006, 12:02 PM

I was going to tell you the same thing regarding Imitrex. If it were me, I would take it right after I nurse to minimize the exposure. Even if you have to nurse again soon after taking it, I still wouldn't worry about it. I hope you feel comfortable with taking the med. and nursing now.
#19 of 21 Old 04-08-2006, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

We're back to the booby. A side affect of the formula: terrible rash on his cheeks and chin. I never ever want to feed him formula again! My body is still threatening to have a migraine. We're not sure what's going on with that, but I'm taking Excederin Migraine for now, and I'm hoping that does the trick. Imitrex is some scary stuff.
#20 of 21 Old 04-08-2006, 10:16 PM

Just wanted to send you and support and let you know I have been thinking about you.
#21 of 21 Old 04-10-2006, 08:08 AM

let us know how you get on

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page