I have caused my child to develop a phobia - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-10-2006, 02:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last week I was giving him a bath. He was laying on his back in the tub in a few inches of water (not enough to cover his body). Normally he loves bath time; he splashes and waves his arms and gets a huge grin on his face. Well, this time he decided to try turning over. He didn't quite make it, but apparently got his face in the water and inhaled some. I pulled him out and sat him up on my lap, where he promptly cleared his lungs. And then started screaming in abject terror.

I haven't even tried giving him a full bath since then. I may be doomed to giving him sponge baths for the rest of his childhood. But one thing's for sure - he is very afraid of anything that covers his face for more than about 2 seconds. Onesies? I don't think so. Shirts? Not unless I can pull them over his face really fast. *sigh* My poor child.....
#2 of 6 Old 04-10-2006, 09:04 AM

awww...i'm sorry...that must have been so scary for both of you! i'm sure he'll forget about it soon enough...it's when they're older that you're really up a creek. LOL my son had a bath phobia for about 6months that just ended about 3 mos ago. that wasn't fun.
#3 of 6 Old 04-10-2006, 01:37 PM

oh mama.so sorry this happened. but like michele said, i'm sure he'll get over it. babies forget things fairly quickly. just keep trying working your way up to the activities that make him scared. don't avoid it entirely or else he'll never want to start later. but don't push it with him either.
#4 of 6 Old 04-10-2006, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
oh no! how scary!

fwiw, both my kids have hated having anything on their face. i think it's a natural defense against suffication. i don't remember when dd got over it, but it was <1yr for shirts/turtlenecks.

i'm enjoying your blog, btw.
#5 of 6 Old 04-10-2006, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you guys for your sympathetic responses. I'm so relieved to hear you say that DS probably won't stay terrified of water and things over his face for long. Whew!

And Geofizz - I'm so flattered that someone is actually reading my blog LOL. Thank you I was noticing in your blog that you just dealt with the inevitable "my child wants to be a barber" crisis.... awful for the mama, but too funny...
#6 of 6 Old 04-10-2006, 11:40 PM

I just got a stand-alone bath sling for babies who are in between lying down and sitting up. The first thing Savannah did was roll over and off it into the water.

mom of 3 , homeschooling the oldest with google and the internet

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page