Does your ped do this? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-14-2006, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I took dd for her 4 mo today. She is doing just great and I had no concerns or questions, and since we aren't vaxing, our well child visits are REALLY brief.

Unlike my hb mw who spends minutes looking at dd, my ped measures her length, head, and weighs her, and then opens her diaper and spreads he to look at her genitals.

That's it. But my question is, why is he still looking at her genitals? I could understand the first two visits showing something wrong, but now it seems kind of weird to me.

Anyway, protective alarm bells are ringing quietly.

Is there a medical justification for this, or he is setting a precedent so that he does this until she's -yikes- older?

::: Just another WAHM using this forum to put off picking up toys and cleaning my house.
#2 of 10 Old 04-14-2006, 11:57 PM

I'm not sure why the ped looks at the genitals, but my female ped does it too. I have a guess, but nothing to back it up. She could be checking for signs of UTI infection. Anyway, I hope this reply helps ease your mind a little. On second thought, I think I'm going to ask my ped why she looks at dd's next "well child" visit.
#3 of 10 Old 04-14-2006, 11:57 PM

Mine looked only once, and only because I told him that she had discharge that looked like cottage cheese. He had a female nurse do a swab (which came back normal). He has not looked at her genitals since. I would question that.
#4 of 10 Old 04-15-2006, 12:33 AM

Amalie used to see a nurse practitioner who did that every WCC. The MD we have both of them seeing now (whom I like better) does not; she gave Moira's genitals a quick look at her very first visit and that was it.

They may be checking for labial adhesions, which are common - Amalie had them at one point. They may also be checking to see that she's getting clean in there - some peds seem to think all new parents are clueless Anyways, if you're not comfortable with it, ask. If it is because they're looking for adhesions, you might want to ask how they'd address them if any were present. I've seen some horror stories about forced separation :
#5 of 10 Old 04-15-2006, 12:45 AM

Good thought Darkpear! I hadn't even thought of that!
#6 of 10 Old 04-15-2006, 01:16 AM

It is for labial adhesions...the inside lips can sometimes "grow" together.
#7 of 10 Old 04-15-2006, 08:22 AM

yes, my female ped does it too...for adhesions, she said
#8 of 10 Old 04-15-2006, 08:26 AM

Probably checking for diaper rash or labial adhesions. I remember when working in day care a family whose boys had diaper rash so severe it required antibiotics. So it's probably worthwhile for them to check that baby's diaper is being changed often enough, etc.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#9 of 10 Old 04-15-2006, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
daph still has never seen a doc. LOL I remember they did that to jev the one well baby check I took him too. I was all worried he'd try to retract him, thats why i remember. LOL

Desiree

#10 of 10 Old 04-15-2006, 10:41 PM

oh good - someone else who hasn't been to the dr. i've gotten a lot of weird looks when people asked how much she weighed and I said I didn't know! Well, I know now (got a scale!) but still haven't been to see the dr. Our ped. is quite nice but I just don't see what he is going to do yet that I can't figure out myself...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page