Introducing foods? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 06-05-2006, 10:28 PM
kir

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, the few times I've tried to spoon-feed, that's been really messy too. Kalpana always grabs the spoon.

The fact is that a lot of the food we eat is pretty mushy, since that's how vegetables are typically cooked here (the eating habits of DH and family are a whole other can of worms!), so that's a problem.

I also have trouble convincing ppl that it's good to have the girls sitting with us when we eat. Even if they're on the floor playing nearby (we don't have high chairs), i think it's good for them to feel part of mealtime. DH and his parents prefer that one person watch the girls while we all eat, and that's nice sometimes, but I really like family meal-time. I don't know. Maybe I need to wait for in-laws to leave and also not try to do everything at once.

I just don't want feeding them to turn into an assembly-line thing aimed at getting food in them. At this point, it's just not necessary that they eat so much, and I think the social aspect is more important.

Or is that too much to ask of 6-month-olds right now??

Kiran
#32 of 40 Old 06-06-2006, 10:16 AM

Taedareth, I think you're right on. A complement to that idea, too, is that toddlers often need multiple exposures to a food before they really feel comfortable with it, especially as you transition to less softened and larger sized bites. This is the "if at first you don't succeed..." principle. My kids have often refused foods at the first, second, third, even fourth exposure. I don't force it, but I don't give up. I just keep giving them a small amount on their plate, and eventually, they've gotten used to the new food and ultimately grown to like it. It's such a blessing now to have a 3-y-o and 5-y-o who often request seconds on their veggies!

Kir, I completely agree with you about the social aspect of the meal.
#33 of 40 Old 06-06-2006, 12:19 PM

What do people think about a vegetarian diet for infants? The thought of mashing up meat makes me gag...I had the idea of avocados, using breastmilk to mix foods with, adding oils like flax seed oil to foods in order to get fats in to my child. Anyone with insight or experience with this?

Thanks,

kelli
#34 of 40 Old 06-06-2006, 12:50 PM

Re: vegetarian diet- As long as you are not immediately replacing your breastfeeding with nothing but veggies, I don't think you have anything to worry about. At this age, most of their nutrition still comes from bf'ing even if they have a couple "meals" of solids.

I can't remember who posted this link, but it was in an earlier thread and I've referred to it many times since
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9646449/
It totally goes with Taedareth's theory about food tasting canned.

All that said, I tried giving Titus some of my oatmeal and he spit it right back out because he's still got a major tongue thrust reflex. I think I'll try again in a couple more days with avocado.
#35 of 40 Old 06-07-2006, 01:19 AM

Interesting article. I especially liked page 2.

I do totally agree that babies can be fed flavorful foods, and feel it is important to their ability to appreciate a wide variety of foods later on, which is so necessary to good long term health. My favorite cookbook is Feeding Baby. It contains interesting, flavorful recipes for the whole family, with instructions on how to serve it to baby and at what age.

Of course, you know me - I just add 3-4 mos to all the age recommendations, both in the msnbc article and the cookbook. I'm pretty hard-headed, I guess. But, at least I don't expect everyone to agree with me...
#36 of 40 Old 06-07-2006, 10:02 AM
kir

I really like this thread, and I appreciate that people have such good varied opinions without being judgemental/mean

Babies can be totally veg. That's what we're doing! I think you have to be careful, and I'm just planning on limiting solids to tasting, until they can get good protein sources like soy, eggs, lentils, etc.

Can someone help me: do you add oil/butter to 6-month-olds' food? My doc said add ghee. It makes some sense. But then do I need to observe the 4-day wait rule with that too?

Thanks.
#37 of 40 Old 06-07-2006, 01:42 PM

I just want to say that my 14 yr old twins were raised as vegetarians. DS1 is still a vegetarian, and DD has chosen to eat poultry, pork, and buffalo.

I also want to add that I was told DS1 would be extremely sick most of his life due to having scarred lungs from being born prematurely, and he never once got very sick. He's had 2 minor colds and chicken pox his whole life. He is extremely healthy, even though he's confined to a wheelchair.

I also made their first foods using a food processor. They didn't get rice cereal and I used organic produce for them, when it wasn't the thing to do. I didn't know I was "crunchy." LOL Cloth diapers, organic, homemade baby food, BF, co-sleeping, no circ, and AP was just something I did because it felt right. It seems strange now that I was so young and under extreme pressure to do things the mainstream way, but I raised them how I wanted.

Anyway, with DS2, I fed him jarred Earth's Best and organic rice cereals, as well as table foods. He has tummy problems. I don't know if it's attributed to how, when, and what I fed him, or if he got genetic tendencies.

With DS3, Greyson, I plan to not feed him baby food at all. He watches us eat and tries to grab our utensils, but no more than he tries to grab my keys or hair.
He's also is a strange little guy in the fact he doesn't shove things in his mouth (except his hands) like normal babies do. Maybe he's not teething yet or something. I have no urge to feed him.
#38 of 40 Old 06-07-2006, 03:58 PM

My oldest son was vegan until 2 and vegetarian until just recently, sometime after 3. I assume Luka will be vegan until at least 1 and vegetarian until he is old enough to choose to eat meat (I started giving Julian information and choices around 2.5 but it took him a long time to decide). As long as they are nursing I don't think there's anything to worry about, in regards to fat and protein. It's easy to get iron from veggie sources like beans and raisins.
#39 of 40 Old 06-09-2006, 09:39 AM

my son won't go NEAR meat. so he's a vegetarian. who doesn't eat vegetables. :

i really wanna do this right with ava. i want her to just eat whatever we eat, honestly. because having one EXTREEEEEEEEEEEMELY picky eater is plenty for me. :
#40 of 40 Old 06-09-2006, 10:37 AM

My 2 older kids are carnivores, I swear. They love chicken, steak, pork chops...now veggies on the other hand. They'd rather do this with them : .

Bethany, mama to M (9), J (7), S (4), and baby BOY 9/13/10!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page