Introducing foods? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-28-2006, 02:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, what's the story on introducing other foods besides mama's milk? The rule of thumb on that subject seems to change in the pediatric community pretty regularly. I haven't given Wesley anything because he likes nursing. Well, he's sucked on a fat slice of apple (too big to swallow) and a watered-down lime wedge but that's it. I'm not going to give him any "baby cereal" either because I doubt it's all that nutritious. Probably I'll start with mushed-up yams or avacado or something (time for me to read Super Baby Food, I guess.) But I was just wondering when you ladies plan to introduce other foods. 6 months? 9 months...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2006, 10:20 AM

I'm thinking of introducing some pureed fruits and veggies in the next few weeks...not sure exactly when. I got the Earth's Best jarred first foods from Whole Foods - for some reason making my own intimidates me.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ok, after done this once before with a kid that doesn't eat, I have a different perspective.

We introduced Elliot to foods when he was 3 months old, when he was able to sit up at the dinner table in his high chair. He played with toys while we ate. That's the first introduction.

Elliot definitely knows that food is different from his toys. He's clearly curious. We've let him chew on a green bean a few times, and I've given him bites of sweet potato. He likes the green bean just like he likes a chew toy. He wasn't too thrilled with the sweet potato.

Last night (6 mo 1 week) I ground up some quinoa in a moarter and pestil (sp?!), cooked it with water in the microwave, thinned with breastmilk. He was.... um.... underwhelmed. I don't like the idea of putting food in a baby's mouth when they don't want it, so I let him grab for the spoon and guide it into his mouth. He only did that twice during our meal, and he was done. I'm not sure whether or not to stick with quinoa a few more times or move onto something else.

I really hope that Elliot enjoys food. Karen's diet is boring.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:30 AM

I found this intereszting: http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedseli...uidelines.html

mom of 3 , homeschooling the oldest with google and the internet
Old 05-28-2006, 11:39 AM

I read the Super Baby Foods book and am loosely following it. Livi's been picking up table food and putting it into her mouth since around 4 months. I've diligently scooped th food out of her mouth because I didn't want her to have solids before 6 months.

We started sweet potatoes on Tuesday. She loves them. I know when she wants more because she reaches for the food and spoon and helps guide it into her mouth. We're going to give her some avocado today.

I really wanted to wait for the 6 month mark, but she truly seemed ready. She will be 6 months in less than a week, though.

We're also not giving cereal since it's of no real nutritional value.

Good luck on the adventure.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:38 PM

I know this isn't popular with most people on MDC, but Tori has been on solids for almost a month now. We started with sweet potatoes and she hated them, green beans, peas, squash, she hates them all.

I gave her applesauce and pears and she LOVES them! She'll eat three containers in one sitting sometimes!

Hates peaches and bananas though. We tried rice cereal and oatmeal and she didn't care for either of them. Today was zucchini and she didn't like that one either.

I gave her an actual green bean when we were at Cracker Barrel on Mothers Day and she chowed on that, but doesn't like the organic baby food kind.

Can she really live on only fruits? And if so, for how long?
Old 05-28-2006, 02:16 PM

Moira's five months today and I have no plans to start solids soon. We have a fairly strong family history of food allergies. Also, I am lazy and nursing is easy That being said, we will probably start with finger foods, or maybe just wait for her to start grabbing stuff from our plates.
Old 05-28-2006, 05:07 PM

I know I won't be popular, either, but Julie has been tasting some Earth's Best foods. She loves to eat them! This morning she tried to mooch off my bowl of oatmeal! She's had apples, carrots, and bananas. She's just had a little of each, but she really enjoyed it. She can sit up and her thrust reflex is almost gone. She's just over 5 months. We're not feeding her every day, maybe twice per week, but she is loving it!
Old 05-28-2006, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I'm with Simone (down to the lazy part! bfing is totally easy! and unless and occasional bit of spitup occurs, there's NO cleanup! and no dishes either ).

Lucy *just* turned five months and I know that right now she's nowhere near ready for 'real' foods. (though really, breastmilk is *the* most real and bestest food ever!). if when she's six months she seems 'ready' then we'll work with something like... squished up avacado or something... With Katherine we didn't buy *any* prepackaged baby food and yes, I'm quite pleased with that. I'm planning on doing the same with Lucy.

Hm... today we are going 30 miles over to the closest hf store... maybe if they have some organic produce or other goodies I'll get some and get to squishing them up and freezing them!

As to how you know your babe is ready? The tongue-thrust reflex is of course a dead giveaway. I'm sure Lucy would totally just push anything else out of her mouth right now, it's just where she's at... so I'm not even thinking about trying.

Plus, I find that by delaying solids, it's always a good way to bring up the benefits of breastmilk and 'extended' (heh... as in longer than a few months) breastfeeding.

I still find it completely amazing that even after having waited until six months to start any solids with Katherine (and having people see that she did turn out fine), people are trying to get Lucy to eat food. I mean, they don't actively put a spoon in her mouth or anything, but make comments on how much she seems to be paying attention to the food during dinner, etc... um yeah... she also pays attention to the remote controlled car, the pepsi can and the scissors when I'm sewing (they're all blue, actually... I think she really likes blue things)... but I'm sure she doesn't want to EAT them all!

(besides.... she gets the best pad thai rice noodles with red curry sauce leftovers -- two hours after I eat it that's way better than anything else right now I'd think. ... ... well, maybe that's just *my* favorite ... doesn't seem to bother her )

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
Old 05-28-2006, 08:17 PM

i have been tempted to make baby food for E but i am trying to wait until at least 6 months. i am curious about the limes though, as i read a few of you guys have given your babes lime wedges to suck on. is that without the juice? is it in the mesh feeder?

i konw that whatever i do give him, i will only give him one at a time for 2 weeks (i think thats what is recommended) to make sure he doesnt have any allergies to the food. so, ill give him some bananas for 2 weeks and if everythign goes well, avocado, etc. for 2 weeks each.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:26 PM

We're making our own baby food and I've found it to be pretty easy so far. I've "made" avocados, bananas, pears, and sweet potatoes. Dd has only had pears, avocados, and sweet potatoes so far. The only thing that is remotely difficult is stewing the pears and cleanup. I just do a big batch at one time and freeze the food in ice cube trays that have clever covers. When it gets hot, I'm tempted to by some organic baby food so I don't have to use my oven to bake squash and sweet potatoes. Also, it would be nice to be able to use those small jars.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've been giving baby Winter a little bit of pureed organic fruits and veggies for about a week now. He was stealing food off my plate at dinner and I would rather give him something he won't choke on. He is clearly ready for it and showing all the readiness signs. About 6 months is the norm, although WIC says cereal at 4 months I'm skipping that because the mega-iron content isn't good for their bowels.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:01 PM

With ds#1, I waited til he was 6-7 mos to introduce food. i've given D some cereal cause he is sooo interested in eating. i mixit with my milk. he's not overly excited but he does pretty well. when we sit down to eat and i don't give him some he looks at me like "umm, excuse me, where is mine?" next is sweet potatoes. i have been struggling with it but he seems interested. if he wasn't, i wouldn't bother cause bf'ing is way easier.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisraeltax
i have been tempted to make baby food for E but i am trying to wait until at least 6 months. i am curious about the limes though, as i read a few of you guys have given your babes lime wedges to suck on. is that without the juice? is it in the mesh feeder?

i konw that whatever i do give him, i will only give him one at a time for 2 weeks (i think thats what is recommended) to make sure he doesnt have any allergies to the food. so, ill give him some bananas for 2 weeks and if everythign goes well, avocado, etc. for 2 weeks each.
I think 2 weeks is a really long time in between new foods, unless you have a signifi0cant history of food allergies...I was told 3-4 days.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpear
Also, I am lazy and nursing is easy
I think I will wait until after 6 months to start, who knows, maybe I will wait until a year.

Rachel~wife to Keith since 5/01~mother to Georgia since 4/04~Bishop since 1/06~Zoe since 11/07 (my HBA2C!)~EDD 2/14/10 w/Baby surprise #4
Old 05-29-2006, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisraeltax
Ummm... well you see, we were visiting family and playing some Phase 10 (it's like Uno) and sipping mixed drinks with lime wedges, when DS got fussy about his gums. So I grabbed a lime out of my drink and gave it to him. But to answer your question, it was a crushed lime wedge that had been soaking in ice cubes and 7up or whatever was in my glass. So it was kinda watered down and not full-strength sour. He mainly liked chewing on the rind. Maybe the coldness (from sitting in ice cubes) soothed his gums.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:47 PM

We're waiting until 6 mos. and then doing child-led solids- fist sized sticks of soft fruits and veggies, eaten if/when he wants them.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:34 AM

I've been thinking about this lately and wondering what I am going to do. With DS we waited until a year before really feeding him - but he was smaller and less advanced than DD is. We of course were pressured by our family to feed him earlier (and tried a number of times but it just didn't seem to work). So, at this point with DS I was no where near solids. But with DD now, I am considering it.

I've read that babies bodies can't really digest cereals until later (does anyone know when?), so I'm thinking maybe bananas? or applesauce? Avocados? I don't know.

With DS we used the Earth's Best Baby food, but I dont think I'm going to use that if I can help it (we will see though!).

Super Baby Foods has so much good info but it is such a poorly put-together book, I find the layout and construction confusing to read.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:10 AM

So, we tried some of the Earth's Best peas two nights ago. At first he didn't seem to know *quite* what to do with them - but then it just kinda clicked and he really liked it. I'm doing 2 more days of peas, and then will try a fruit.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:51 PM

I started Ben last Saturday...he will "officially" be 6mo tomorrow. Since I'm back at work I thought that starting on the 3day weekend would be best. (I don't want to introduce a new food in the evening and I would prefer the introduction be done at home rather than daycare.)

With Beth we started at 5mo and it took 1.5mo for her to actually eat ANYTHING (rice cereal, sweet potatoes, oatmeal, bananas, apples, pears, carrots, peas, ...tried all of it). So I decided to wait w/ Ben and to totally skip cereal (for a number of reasons).

Well, it has been a HUGE success. I did about a 1/4" of banana mashed up and mixed w/ some EBM on Saturday morning. I had to make sure that I put it on the back of his tongue so he would swallow it...but he was soooo excited the entire time. The next feeding on Sunday morning I did 1/2" of banana w/ EBM... and I didn't have to worry about where I put the spoon this time...Ben totally got the hang of it!

I've been sending in jars of Tender Harvest or Earth's Best to daycare so I wanted to try the jarred food at home first and he sucked down 3/4 of a jar of banana on Sunday night.

Monday afternoon I gave him jarred sweet potato and he at the entire jar!

All this week he's eaten a jar of banana each morning and a jar of sweet potato in the afternoon at school!! Ben's teachers have each remarked on how excited he is to eat his solid food. He's still drinking 3, 4oz bottles of EBM as well.

Last night we went out to eat to Applebees and I definitely should have brought some food for Ben because he was totally grabbing at our plates...even after I nursed him!

I picked up a bag of organic carrots this week and have a few sweet potatoes so I could try my hand at making some baby food and freezing it. We tried jarred carrots this morning and they were a success as well.

Ben is so cute when he eats...looks like a little bird. Mouth wide open and grunting w/ his arms flapping up and down, all excited.
Old 06-03-2006, 05:22 PM

explain how to do the veggie sticks...
Old 06-04-2006, 12:56 AM

Just cook (if necessary) and chop them up into sticks. Pears and avocados are good starters. A banana split into quarters lengthwise is smushy but doable. Cook broccoli and pull it into thin pieces- they'll eat the tips but not the stalks. Etc. etc.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:12 PM

I have very strong views on baby nutrition, but realize that each mama must make the choices that fit her and her baby best.

I am all for child-led feeding, where baby is given soft foods and allowed to feed himself using his hands.

Also, like many mainstream ideals, I believe the modern pediatric advice to start with cereals is hopelessly misguided.

I agree with Linda about Super Baby Foods - good resource, but strangely organized. Also, I don't think the author's recommendation of soy/tofu/etc is a safe choice for baby.

Here's a couple of my posts from an earlier DDC thread about feeding baby:

What Nourishing Traditions suggests about baby's first foods

Follow up post on the subject

I am eager to start feeding Will; it's such a fun stage when they start eating, but I'm deliberately holding off a couple more months. I truly believe it's in baby's best long-term health interest to let them have bm exclusively longer rather than shorter.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:53 PM
kir

Kalpana was going nuts wanting food,so we started giving some fruits, squash. I've given brown rice to her. Just a few spoons. Amrita takes a little too, mostly b/c she's curious about what Kalpana's doing. But I don't force it, and i only feed them after a nice, long breastfeed session. And they always want to nurse afterward, so i feel confident they're getting a reasonably small amount--introducing,but not too much

LLL says meat is a good early solid. We don't eat meat, so i was thinking i should get to dal and also whole grains like brown rice earlier on. But others say to avoid cereals and grains for a long time. I don't know. Breastmilk is the best! But I have to figure this out. I think i may try sprouted dal/lentils next. They are supposed to be easier to digest. I don't think K&A will love the taste, though!

In theory, I like the idea of self-feeding, but I don't know how i should do that with dal and things like that!

Also, I'm SOOOO scared of choking. If you give some steamed veg, couldn't they gum off a chokable size and breathe it in? Maybe I'm misunderstanding something. I can see with something harder like carrots, but what about squash or pumpkin or something? And then what do you do with vegetables like spinach?

Kiran
Old 06-04-2006, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I am all for child-led feeding, where baby is given soft foods and allowed to feed himself using his hands.

Also, like many mainstream ideals, I believe the modern pediatric advice to start with cereals is hopelessly misguided.

I agree with Linda about Super Baby Foods - good resource, but strangely organized. Also, I don't think the author's recommendation of soy/tofu/etc is a safe choice for baby.

Here's a couple of my posts from an earlier DDC thread about feeding baby:

What Nourishing Traditions suggests about baby's first foods

Follow up post on the subject

It's really interesting reading all of this info on feeding first foods! We did start with organic rice cereal, but I guess all of my sources were pointing in that direction, and I hadn't come across the alternative views that you've presented and I've since read about.

Old 06-04-2006, 05:23 PM

jen - thanks for that info!! i'm trying to hold off for a couple more months but the poor thing practically sucks her lips to the back of her head when she sees us eating. LOL!! but i think i'll stick it out anyway.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kir
And then what do you do with vegetables like spinach?
Invest in bibs. LOTS of bibs. LOL

I do let my babes self-feed, even foods like yogurt or finely chopped spinach. I just give them a bowl and a spoon and let them have at it. Granted there's a lot of waste, but they do get a good deal of the food into their mouths with their hands and/or the spoon. They also learn to spoon-feed themselves much earlier than most babies.

Kir, you have a special situation with double the mouths and fists. You have to do what works for you. If you are going to be terrified of choking every time you feed your children, then it's not the right choice for you. Feed them WHAT you're comfortable with them eating, and give it to them HOW you're comfortable.

I don't have twins (obviously) but if I did, I think I might find letting them each feed themselves less of a task than trying to spoon feed each myself. But, I do know that every mama is different, and what's easier for me might not be for you. You might find the post-meal cleanup zone too much of a task, I don't know...

As far as worrying about choking, you'll have to observe them closely, see what their eating personalities are, and customize their food to them. DS1 was very low-risk for choking: he would only put a tiny bit of food in his mouth at a time, and chew until I thought I would go INSANE!!! I could give him his entire meal on his tray, in decent sized chunks. DD2, OTOH, would shove everything in her reach into her mouth and swallow without even chewing. I had to ration her bites on her tray, and make sure they were almost in a pre-chewed state for her.

You're such a great mom to them. They are so blessed to have you. I know whatever you decide for them for solids will be what's best for all of you!
Old 06-05-2006, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

I read or heard somewhere that babies develop their sense of taste during their first two years of life. (I don't mean that their tastebuds physically develop; I mean that they get a sense of what flavors are normal for food in their culture.)

Have you tasted canned baby food? Even the nice organic stuff still tastes "canned" - it tastes different than what you serve at the dinner table. So our babies get used to the taste of jar food for their first year or so of life, and then suddenly we switch them to the food the rest of the family eats. So possibly, that is a reason why many young children dislike the taste of the vegetables we serve at the dinner table - because they ate only canned veggies during the formative time when their tastes were being developed.

Any thoughts/comments on that theory?
Old 06-05-2006, 11:05 PM

well, that would explain why my son LOVED jarred veggies but refuses to eat normal veggies.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:20 PM
kir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taedareth
I read or heard somewhere that babies develop their sense of taste during their first two years of life. (I don't mean that their tastebuds physically develop; I mean that they get a sense of what flavors are normal for food in their culture.)

Have you tasted canned baby food? Even the nice organic stuff still tastes "canned" - it tastes different than what you serve at the dinner table. So our babies get used to the taste of jar food for their first year or so of life, and then suddenly we switch them to the food the rest of the family eats. So possibly, that is a reason why many young children dislike the taste of the vegetables we serve at the dinner table - because they ate only canned veggies during the formative time when their tastes were being developed.

Any thoughts/comments on that theory?
makes total sense to me.

User Tag List