Dec.05 DDC - 5 things you don't know about me - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 112 Old 06-04-2006, 12:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aisraeltax
but there are a few words i say that make ppl turn their heads. lol!
Do you say y'all? I do.
#62 of 112 Old 06-04-2006, 02:29 AM

I haven't been able to read all the posts but here is my 5:
1)Hubby and I have been together since we were 18.
2)I was an aspiring wildlife biologist when I became pregnant. I had been out of school for almost 2 years when I finally got a job that could have lead to my dream (researching mountain lions), then I found out I was preggo. Went back to work when A was 8 weeks. Went on a horrendous hike, bushwhacking through chapparal, dodging posion oak, praying I didn't run into a rattlesnake, pumped under a laurel sumac praying I didn't get ticks and wondered why the hell I was doing this to myself.
3)My first love was soccer. Played since I was 8. Trying to get back into it this summer.
4)Have an inner struggle with wanting to be more crunchy yet succombing to the temptations and convenience of the mainstream world.
5)Eventually would love to go back to grad school and do my research but wonder if it will ever happen.
#63 of 112 Old 06-04-2006, 05:59 AM

Hmmn...

In 7th grade, I went to 7 different schools, one in Heidelberg, Germany. This means I moved more than 7 times in one year. During a pause between moves, I became Agoraphobic (sp?) for 2 weeks and didn't leave the house. We were house sitting at some fancy professor's home at Stanford, and I listened to old LPs, played pool, watched TV (remember I didn't have one growing up) and learned the song (from TV) "Hey, Hey, We're the Monkey's, People Say We Monkey Around... We're Too Busy Singin' to Put anybody Doooooown!" I also took a permanent ink pen and decorated a floor lamp, that wasn't mine of course. We never heard anything about it. They had to have noticed.

I'm an only child. I'm grateful my mother didn't have any more children, but I was very lonely as a child. It does mean I have a great imagination and know how to entertain myself.

My best friends are both men. One is my age and I've known him for 21 years. I met him in High School when we were both in trouble (seperately) for something or other. Oh yeah, we cut school. He's androgynous. My other best friend is only 24 years old, and he's very good looking and very masculine. He was 10 and I was 21 when I met him. We both needed each other at the time (totally platonic, don't be gross!). He is the only one of my friends, besides my best friend above, who didn't turn their backs on me or fade away when I went through a very terrible time in life taking care of my extremely disabled son. I'm 12 years older than my friend and I love him dearly.

One time, a neighbor told me I should use my son (Jake) as a football. This was in front of my boy who may be disabled physically, but is just fine mentally. I forget what I said back to him, and I was used to people saying ignorant things about my little boy. My neighbor died a few years later from a heart attack, and was found dead on the floor in the hallway next door at age 52. I never disliked him, and I can still remember the wailing of his wife when she found him, because I was at home.

When I was my daughter's age, I would take the public bus for hours to get to the beach. Then I'd rent a horse to ride for an hour or two (it cost $20 per hour), and then I'd sit and watch the waves for hours. Sometimes I'd draw or write. I can't imagine my DD doing that. I wouldn't let her go off by herself like that. I love the ocean and try to visit it as much as I can.

My mom was kind of a hippie and lived on the beach for a month or two with my dad when she was pregnant with me. She lived in a squat, little driftwood house, like a shack but you had to crawl in. She told me the locals would regularly burn these down because they didn't like the dirty hippies using them as homes. She just told me this story a few years ago.

I don't know if this was in the spirit of the thread, but it's late, I'm tired, and I felt like writing something. Maybe I'll delete this tomorrow.
#64 of 112 Old 06-04-2006, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthira
I'm an only child. I'm grateful my mother didn't have any more children, but I was very lonely as a child. It does mean I have a great imagination and know how to entertain myself.
i'm an only child too. i also grew up moving around a lot. i loved being an only, and am really independent, had great conversations with adults from an early age, valued my friends a lot, and was really creative. so any of you ladies who might want only one, it's not necessarily a terrible thing.
#65 of 112 Old 06-04-2006, 01:04 PM

Pan, how cool!

no, i don't say ya'll...i say "you guys"...but the words that make ppl turn their heads are...

seal..in like to seal somethign up or the seal that swims in the oceans....i cant distinquish them with my accent and i always end up explaining which one i am using. ;(

antennae...i say it like an tann ah....and it cracks ppl up here up!!!

considering my parents are from NJ, i say words like "talk" and "car" like you woudl expect ppl from NJ to say it...

and since living in Boston, i say "friggin" all the time

and kids are now "fresh" if they do something adults dont want them too..

my accent and slang are all over the place...

it is kind of funny!
#66 of 112 Old 06-04-2006, 01:36 PM

i'm an only, too!
#67 of 112 Old 06-04-2006, 02:35 PM

Quote:
One time, a neighbor told me I should use my son (Jake) as a football. This was in front of my boy who may be disabled physically, but is just fine mentally.
That is so awful. I mean, just barbaric. Who would say such a small thing??? :

Quote:
When I was my daughter's age, I would take the public bus for hours to get to the beach. Then I'd rent a horse to ride for an hour or two (it cost $20 per hour), and then I'd sit and watch the waves for hours. Sometimes I'd draw or write. I can't imagine my DD doing that. I wouldn't let her go off by herself like that. I love the ocean and try to visit it as much as I can.
This is so true! I used to have tons of freedom as a kid - ride my bike for miles, much of it on a busy road. Only for me, I was going to the "wilderness." There was a mountain trail and secluded pond I used to love to hang out at. It's a different world today, I think.

Quote:
I don't know if this was in the spirit of the thread, but it's late, I'm tired, and I felt like writing something. Maybe I'll delete this tomorrow.
Please don't delete! I think this is exactly the spirit of the thread. Thank you for sharing from your heart!
#68 of 112 Old 06-04-2006, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisraeltax
and kids are now "fresh" if they do something adults dont want them too..
That's so funny. DH and I grew up in CT and use "fresh" in that way all the time. While we were living in DC, I used that term that way, and a friend looked at me like I was nuts. Until then, I didn't realize that it wasn't a universal term everybody used.
#69 of 112 Old 06-04-2006, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindacrunchy
4)Have an inner struggle with wanting to be more crunchy yet succombing to the temptations and convenience of the mainstream world.
Well stated. I think this is a very common predicament.

Something along those lines I've never wanted to admit on MDC:

I drive a Suburban. : There, I said it.
#70 of 112 Old 06-04-2006, 03:41 PM

i have a minivan and an SVU.

: SUV!!! i promise you i don't have my own special victim's unit. :

i could edit that out...but i'm not gonna bc that was funny.
#71 of 112 Old 06-04-2006, 04:13 PM

I saw this thread when it started a few days ago, but was in to much of a funk al I could think of were negative things. i am in a better place now and can come up with much better things. It has been so enjoyable reading all these.

1) i love sci fi. Sci-fi channel is a favorite of both DH and mine. He like ghost hunters, I live for Friday night shows -Battlestar Galactica, Stargate-1 and Atlantis, Dr. Who is pretty good too. I don't read as much as I'd like but have really enjoyed David Brin's books. DH and i got to know each other over Star Trek: The Next Generation and all the others. We have all the STar War Movies and Lord of the Rings.

2)As a Child I was a wanderer big time. Mu mom says she had a neighborhood network set up where others would call her when they saw me go by. When I was 4 they put a chain link fence to keep me in the yard and I was up and over it barefoot the day it went in. When I was older, late elementary age, I would spen all day in the woods behind my school. I am paying for this now as my soon to be three year old is just like me and I never know where her and her best friend will be.

3)I was adopted as an infant and raised by my maternal uncle and his wife, Mom and DAd. My birth mother was newly divorced with 4 kids in foster care and pregnant by another man. I never found this out until I was a senior in high school. I think me and her other kids were the last ones in the family to know, my dad and birth mother come from a family of 12 kids. I nrver understood the drama surrounding adption and having to meet your biological family.

4)I graduated from a christian high school and went to a bible college (fundamental independant baptist), graduated with a degree in education and tought in christian schools for 4 years. I don't go to church now.

5)I can't spell, nor can I tell my right and left hand apart. I too have to look at my hands to figure it out.
#72 of 112 Old 06-04-2006, 06:42 PM

I am not a hugely prolific poster on this DDC so you guys probably don't know me so well...but here are a few! This is a cool thread

1) I was raised by my grandparents (long story!)
2) I lived in Egypt for 2 years
3) I am fluent in Arabic
4) I was a goth from age 17-19; dyed my hair jet black until I was 23!!
5) I used to be pretty intensely involved in the DC spoken word circuit
#73 of 112 Old 06-04-2006, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atozmama
I graduated from a christian high school and went to a bible college (fundamental independant baptist), graduated with a degree in education and tought in christian schools for 4 years. I don't go to church now
Me too! Only I taught 5 years, with one year off working a corporate job in NYC in the middle. I go to a reformed church now...

I'm curious which school. Wanna send me a PM?
#74 of 112 Old 06-04-2006, 07:39 PM

i have flat feet.
#75 of 112 Old 06-04-2006, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atozmama

1) . We have all the STar War Movies and Lord of the Rings.
OMG, don't even get me started on Lord of the Rings! I waited 15 years for those movies to be made, and they were absolutely perfect! I went through serious withdrawl the December after the Return of the King came out--I sure hope he does the Hobbit!
#76 of 112 Old 06-05-2006, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelemiller
i have flat feet.
I do too. They can make suction sounds on a smooth floor.
#77 of 112 Old 06-05-2006, 08:10 AM

my husband collects LOTR statues/helms/busts/etc. we have.......very very many

my husband also collects heavy metal cds. we have...thousands.

we went to see all 3 new SW movies in the theater and each time the title came up on the screen with the beginning of the music (you know what i mean)...i cried. :

therefore, i am a loser.
#78 of 112 Old 06-05-2006, 11:41 AM

Finally got to read the thread...you all are so diverse and awesome! Michele, funny thing is, one of my best friends in grad school was offered the part of Joanne in Rent - she turned it down because her mom was uber-religious and she was afraid the part would offend her - we all told her she was crazy, it wasn't like she would've been playing Mimi!

Anyway...

(1) I'm way over-educated. Seriously. In addition to my BA (public policy studies & religion) I have a Master's in Social Work and a J.D. (law degree). I got them both at the same time at UPenn, wanting to do policy work. Then I got offered a job at a big center-city law firm, and got sucked into it. I hated it. I left after a few years to go to a suburban education law firm...and still hated it. So now I'm working on a certification to be a secondary guidance counselor.

(2) I wasn't a very good lawyer because I hated the work so much. I love counseling. It annoys me that I wasted so many years doing something that I disliked so intensely rather than advancing doing something I love. I kinda miss working but know if I was working I'd miss Luke and Aaron like mad.

(3) I am hopelessly addicted to baby carriers (okay, you all knew that...)

(4) I love my husband like mad...he's the most supportive, awesome parter I could imagine.

(5) I was the president of my sorority in college. It was a Jewish sorority.

(6) I am Catholic (see above...)
#79 of 112 Old 06-05-2006, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kofduke
(5) I was the president of my sorority in college. It was a Jewish sorority.

(6) I am Catholic (see above...)
#80 of 112 Old 06-05-2006, 02:52 PM

How about this...

I have never watched any of the LOTR movies. The closest I've come is watching the cartoon version when I was a kid.

I hate sci-fi.

I don't like people calling my oldest "Maddie" . There are millions of Madisons and their nicknames are all Maddie.... I like the name Madeline. I named her that for a reason and chose it over Madison. For whatever reason I don't want people to think her name is Madison. .. ... I don't know why I have such an issue with this :

Even though I don't shave, I don't always want people knowing this.

The above could be an issue today and in the next few weeks. I'm signed up to do a moms and tots swimming class with katherine. It starts today. People are gonna see the pits and legs. .... I'm trying to decide what to do. (um, I'm really not quite hot on the idea of swim suits anyway... I could use to lose quite a bit still...) .... but honestly, this is more for Katherine anyway (she's quite nervous... which is hilarious... she's No Fear everywhere else... except for the water and animals... she doesn't like either)

I have a tendency to go OT. Often

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls and now a rainbow1284.gif BOY!!! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) angel3.gif .

#81 of 112 Old 06-05-2006, 04:42 PM

So about science fiction, since I see we have a few fans (and at least one ardent NON-fan, sorry Judy )...

I'm a total purist snob. I admit it. I dislike the term 'sci-fi' and I don't use it except occasionally as a pejorative. I don't consider Star Wars to be in any way SF (though I do enjoy the original movies); calling it space opera is generous in my book. I don't have a lot of use for most TV SF either, because the cheese factor is so high; I think the shows that work out best are the ones that don't try to delve too deeply into science and focus on the characters and plotting instead. I have enjoyed Firefly, DS9, B5 and am eagerly awaiting the next season of BSG.

I prefer 'hard' SF in general, but I guess that just doesn't work for the TV market. I try and keep at least somewhat informed as to what's going on in physics and it just drives me batty when writers just make up 'science' out of whole cloth because it's convenient to the plot. Star Trek is the absolute worst about this.

I don't mind 'soft' SF if it's a ripping good yarn. Nothing irritates me more than when an author starts off with a good story and then goes off on some bizarre metaphysical and/or philosophical tangent and never returns! The Dune books from God Emperor on are a prime example. Seriously, WTF happened there? If you want to write a polemic, for gods' sake don't dress it up as a novel.
#82 of 112 Old 06-05-2006, 07:23 PM

i'm a total LOTR fan, too. Don't have all the goods but loved the books and was way excited about the movies. They did an excellent job. Oh yeah, I lLOVE Harry Potter, too!
#83 of 112 Old 06-05-2006, 08:14 PM

well, i liked red dwarf. which is the epitome of crap science. :

my brother is a REAL sci-fi/fantasy novelist. he's my favorite author by far, and has written over 10 novels. very very very very very good ones. brilliant. he has never tried to publish them, and that pisses me off...one day he will, and i swear he'll be famous.

his style is unique but the scope of his writing is in the vein of stephen donaldson (TC series)
#84 of 112 Old 06-05-2006, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judybean
I have a tendency to go OT. Often
That is what makes these threads so fun to read. Variety is the spice of life!
#85 of 112 Old 06-05-2006, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelemiller
well, i liked red dwarf. which is the epitome of crap science. :
Yeah, but it never made any pretensions otherwise. It was comedy and a great sendup of numerous low-budget 'serious' British SF series.

You have to let us all know if your bro gets published!
#86 of 112 Old 06-05-2006, 10:55 PM

Is it too late for me to add to this thread??

Many of you may not know...

1. that I went to SPACE CAMP when I was 11 years old...while there I discovered I was claustrophobic...my space career was over...

2. I hate feet. A lot. People who claim that their feet are cute drive me nuts! (sorry if you think you have cute feet )

3. I also have a travel/language thing. I speak french and spanish. Both not quite fluently but close. I have lived in France and the Dominican Republic.

4. I used to teach ice climbing and made a few climbing films for TV...

5. I worked in a paper mill for four years and drove fork lifts and other heavy machinery!!

There are others but I have some mystery!

Kelli
#87 of 112 Old 06-05-2006, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlemum

2. I hate feet. A lot. People who claim that their feet are cute drive me nuts! (sorry if you think you have cute feet )

3. I also have a travel/language thing. I speak french and spanish. Both not quite fluently but close. I have lived in France and the Dominican Republic.
i have cute feet. been told that many times in the past.

where did you live in the dominican republic? why were you there? i lived in both santiago and sto. domingo and consider it to be a second home. my dominican friends consider me to be dominican, even though i'm american. i'm so curious to hear about your experience! isn't it an amazing place? don't you love merengue? queso frito? flamboyan trees?
#88 of 112 Old 06-06-2006, 02:51 AM

ooh.. with feet...

I don't have flat feet... but I wear a size 12 in women's shoes. (I don't feel completely freakish though with my skis.... I'm 5'11" so they look kinda balanced). My poor girls though.... their mom has huge feet and dh? gosh, he's 6'5" and has way bigger feet than I do.

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls and now a rainbow1284.gif BOY!!! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) angel3.gif .

#89 of 112 Old 06-06-2006, 03:17 AM

Haha, feet!
I have a pair of webbed toes on my right foot, and they are also double jointed.
And people think they are cute, does that count?
Twins for the twin toed woman...
#90 of 112 Old 06-06-2006, 07:37 AM

i hate my feet, which were always too big for my body. and i have skinny chicken legs, which just accentuates it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page