Dec.05 DDC - 5 things you don't know about me - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 112 Old 06-06-2006, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i too hate my feet....but i hate my toenails more. i have so many cute sandles but when i paint my toenails, i only have 8 (no pinky toenails). so i end up painting the toes. lol!
#92 of 112 Old 06-07-2006, 03:07 PM

You all are so interesting and well educated and cool - i feel pretty dull but, here goes:

1.) I have a BFA in acting - but I now have a definate case of social anxiety and can't fathom how I used to perform in front of hundreds of people....

2.) We are music junkies and have thousands upon thousands of CDs and vinyl in our house....

3.) I have been lactating for about 4 years....and just had my first baby in December.....

4.) Even though it is evil i still want to take my DD to Disney in a few years cuz i went when I was young and loved it.

5.) We've only DTD once since fin was born - and it hurt like hell and i cried and don't want to try again.
#93 of 112 Old 06-07-2006, 05:55 PM

becca - wow! a BFA! i wanted to do that...and you've been lactating for 4 years?? wow. how?? : we're totally going to disney. and we've dtd twice. :
#94 of 112 Old 06-07-2006, 06:00 PM

Yeah, how have you been lactating for four years?
#95 of 112 Old 06-07-2006, 08:29 PM

oh man, i just stepped in a puddle of spit-up.

i hope it's not too late to add to this thread. because i have loved reading about all of you and hope you'll find this interesting.

1) the international thing - i lived in costa rica for 2 months, to take a break from the "real world." didn't learn spanish, though. everyone wanted to practice their english with me and boyfriend. i've also visited canada, belgium, france, the netherlands. and i've lived in wyoming, virginia, colorado, texas, maryland, arkansas, new mexico, not in that order. my dad and sister live in cheyenne, and my mom and brother live in texas, where i grew up. i still say ya'll, although i've stopped saying "fixin' to."

2) sci-fi/gaming - my dh just recently quit playing LARP vampire. he's a big gamer, but i never have been. i do, however, enjoy cranium, mexican train dominoes, pictionary, taboo, etc.

3) nerdery - i was an english major in college and now run my own editing/writing business from home. i just got my first retainer contract! yippie!

4) housekeeping - i try, try, try to keep the house clean. i like it that way. but i guess we have too much stuff. and too many cats. (3) there's always cat hair and dust everywhere and i hate it. dishes are the worst, since we don't have a dishwasher.

5) outdoors - i love the outdoors. but my dh doesn't. he was in the army, so he claims that they ruined his desire to ever go camping. i did talk him into going this weekend, though, and i can't wait! i used to climb trees all the time as a kid. and mountains. and ride horses. (now i can't stand horses. i think they're big clumsy oafs.)

6) tv - i follow lost, ER, the apprentice, survivor, big love, deadwood, the unit, and prison break. i used to follow six feet under, x files. i wish i didn't like tv so much. but i do. it's part of who i am.

7) i've always been a social chameleon, although sometimes i wish i fit better into some category. dh and i will always have an element of the goth in our lives, as well as the hippy and the crunchy. i too have fantasies of living off the grid and growing my own organic food and throwing away the tv. but i try to compromise and be happy while still living as responsibly as i can manage.
#96 of 112 Old 06-07-2006, 10:05 PM

some more

1. i used to have 2 dogs - a yorkie (napoleon) and a westie (wellington) and, as most of you know i'm just realizing, we got rid of wellington. he was too aggressive and just very unhappy here. and by "got rid of" i don't mean like in a mafia way. : we gave him to westie rescue, who found him a new home in Pittsburgh!

2. I have been limiting my online time lately (1 hr max a day, spread out throughout the day) because i have SO much work to do. which leads me to #3...

3. i'm in my 6th year of a doctoral program in human development and education policy. meaning that i'm working on my dissertation. over the past 2 years i've written around 180 pages but have yet to *really* get moving on it. ironically. i've changed things, revised things, revamped things, scrapped things, etc. but this summer i have to make final revisions to the proposal part so i can defend that in the fall and graduate in may! AAAGH! my research is on the self-identifaction choices of mixed race adolescents and the impact of those choices on identity and academic achievement.

4. i'm teaching 2 courses this year at 2 local colleges (one is my alma mater, and both are very highly ranked liberal arts colleges, if i do say so myself). one is on special education policy and practice. the other is multicultural education.
#97 of 112 Old 06-08-2006, 09:26 PM

I'm late in joining too. Can I still play?

1) I have a tattoo and I want it removed. Though it's original meaning has been fulfilled and it's just ironic that it is what it is, I just wish I never had it.

2)I have won awards for landscape gardens at the Oregon State Fair (yet I currently have no garden of my own). They gave us about 150-200 square feet, two weeks and we had to bring in plants and structures to create a garden within a certain theme. The first year I did "The Tale of Peter Rabbit" and constructed Mr McGreggors tool shed and a few rows of a garden on one side (complete with a watering can that had bunny ears sticking out). The second year I did "Long ago when we believed in faries..." and it had a pond and heathery plants- my favorite part was what looked like a fallen log that had a tiny door with freshly sprouted grass as a lawn and a tiny stick fence. It had a couple fairy "shadows" which were fairy shapes painted black, one was looking into the pond and the other was sitting atop a giant maper mache and ewe wood mushroom.

3) I not only am probably the fastest talker at Pig Latin, I also know Turkey Talk. I just about ruined Christmas when I figured that out too because my parents would use it like secret code

4) I'm going to write a book about a vampire that will redefine what it is to be a vampire. I'm not "into" vampires, but I had a dream a long time back that just stuck with me and I had to write about it. I have a couple chapters done and peer reviewed by a college creative writing class, but I just don't have the time to think about it like I need to now.

5) I will eat just about anything and probably like it yet for all the times I've tried to like cantaloupe, I just can't.
#98 of 112 Old 06-08-2006, 10:02 PM

michelle - good for you for limiting your online time. i need to do the same...although not for the same reasons. i miss school so bad.

littlellama - what is your tatoo of?

ive always wanted a tatoo, but im Jewish and a big scaredy cat.

i do have a piercing though (other than my ears!). that was a wild ride to say the least.
#99 of 112 Old 06-08-2006, 11:22 PM

littlellama (sarah) -- I'm totally curious what your tattoo is as well!!!!

rach -- now you gotta spill what your piercing is!!!

My ears have each been pierced five times. Now I wear *at most* three in each ear. Though I figure I'm lucky if I put in one pair in the bottom

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls and now a rainbow1284.gif BOY!!! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) angel3.gif .

#100 of 112 Old 06-09-2006, 12:56 AM

lets just say it was in a very private area.
#101 of 112 Old 06-09-2006, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisraeltax
Oh my! Now you really have to say, haha! And I'm curious about LittleLlama's tattoo as well...

I have a pierced tongue, several holes in my ears and an ugly scar from a rather unfortunate navel piercing I used to have. I want a tattoo involving various RPG characters I've played over the years. (Ones of my own invention, not like Final Fantasy characters or something, just in case any of you are still with me ) DP is really artistic and has been promising to do the art for years, but has not come through yet
#102 of 112 Old 06-09-2006, 03:04 AM

I don't think I could ever get a tattoo.

I'm certainly not against them...and in fact I think it could be kind of neat to have one.... ... I just don't think I could ever come up with something I'd want For The Rest Of My Life. Seriously nothing comes to mind. Plus, I wouldn't know where to get it. I would want it somewhere that it wouldn't show to Joe Schmoe. I would only let people know that needed to know see it. I most certainly wouldn't get one done on my ankle (no offense to those who have one there). I have three friends who have them there... one has a frog on a flower, one has a charm bracelet and one has a dolphin. I dunno... just not my thing (ankle tats). But my hip bone? I suppose that's the only place I'd go.

/thus ends the 'where would Judy get a tattoo self-discussion

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls and now a rainbow1284.gif BOY!!! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) angel3.gif .

#103 of 112 Old 06-09-2006, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisraeltax
#104 of 112 Old 06-09-2006, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpear
and an ugly scar from a rather unfortunate navel piercing I used to have.
me too. and when i got pg w/rowan it stretche out and looked exactly like the playboy bunny. : now it's just dark and nasty.

and is your character just a freestyle like D&D thing? i play RPG, i'd like to hear more about it. my brother (the novelist i was talking about earlier) is a fantastic DM and has written his own universal, diceless RPG that's actually for sale online somewhere...i gotta find it....

http://www.tesarta.com/www/persona/persona.html here it is...this is my brother's rpg.

oh, and toward the bottom of the page you can see listed "Fashtaud Fantasy" - that's from his novels. they're fantasy/sci-fi and he *wrote his own language* for them. an entire language. a LANGUAGE. that he uses in the book. with his own grammar structure, alphabet, characters, etc....i'm telling you my brother is brilliance personified.
#105 of 112 Old 06-09-2006, 07:25 AM

i've always wanted a tongue ring...i almost got one in college but i was in a band and an a cappella group and was worried that i wouldn't be able to enunciate (sp?) very well. we had so many gigs there would have been no time to heal in btwn them...
#106 of 112 Old 06-09-2006, 10:44 AM

i wanted a belly ring but after researchign them on the web, decided against it. i really really wanted it but there seems to be such a long time in healing and the infections can be nasty. a friend of ours did my piercing and that is the LAST piercing that i will ever have done. i thought it would have to come out for E's birth (one more reason my OB gave me for not having a natural birth), but my MW was cool with it and nothing happened. IF it had to come out then, it would NOT have gone back..i couldnt even think of experiencing pain again like that...i DO NOT recommend it...not for the faint of heart. child birth was painful dont get me wrong...but well....that was extremely painful. and i didnt have to have child birth while staying perfectly still in fear of permanent damage!! lol!

im with you on the tattoo...although i would like a pooh bear, everyone has one. i wouldnt like to get one near bones..i think taht would hurt...i would get it on my arse or something and then it woudl get all wrinkly when i get old, so it wouldnt be cool with me. my profession has basically prevented me from getting one anywhere you can see it. oh well....

totally somethign that MOST ppl dont know about me.
#107 of 112 Old 06-09-2006, 12:22 PM

Well, I want it to involve a few different characters I've had; a shapeshifting elf ranger from a D&D campaign years ago, my half-elf ranger from EQ, and my WoW orc hunter. All my favorite alter egos, basically

I LOVE my tongue stud, it's a fun piercing and has never given me any trouble. It did take about a week for the swelling to go down and I did talk funny for that week.
#108 of 112 Old 06-09-2006, 12:42 PM

Ok! Ok! I'll tell You'll be disappointed though, it's really not that big a deal. It's a frog with a crown - sitting on top of a sun. It's about 4-5 inches tall on my right shoulder blade. I was all of 19 when I got it and had just endured the WORST string of boyfriends imaginable. One of them honestly thought it was romantic to steal things for me- another one admitted that is ultimate "relationship" would end with the girl's death, leaving him with a daughter who he would send to boarding school so he could be alone in his cold, corporate world sipping wine.

So in defiance of all those slimy frogs, I decided to look out for that Frog Prince and stick a reminder of that on my back. I'll admit that I was quite hostile towards men for a while and I'd tell them outright that they were frogs. That was also during the time (ha, ha, you get a bonus #6 thing you didn't know about me!) I routinely buzzed my hair right off to about 3/8 to 3/4 inch long. Eventually I moved to AZ where you all know the sun shines more brightly and what did I find here? My prince who loves the sun

Geez, that just sounds silly telling it. Tattoos, like short hair, can be really addicting, so before I got married, I considered getting several more.

I used to want my tongue pierced but I've had so much dental work that I just couldn't risk it. I do have many unfilled piercings in my ears (3 in each) and a horrible scar in my cartlidge where I realized too late that the earing I had in was plated and the plating wore off to reveal the nickle which got it all infected and left a black mark. Five years later, it looks like I have a dot tatto'd on my ear!
#109 of 112 Old 06-09-2006, 03:39 PM

i feel like a little kid going, me too! me too!

i have seven earrings (3 in left ear, 4 in right), as well as a nosering and a monroe (a labret above my lip where marilyn monroe had her mole). i love my piercings!

my husband also has his septum pierced, earrings, his tragus pierced on one ear and his cartilage pierced on the other. oh, and his nipples are pierced too.

we always joke that alice will never want any piercings because that will be her way of rebelling!
#110 of 112 Old 06-09-2006, 03:42 PM

Oh yum. I love pierced nipples on men
#111 of 112 Old 06-09-2006, 03:51 PM

i love pierced men too....
#112 of 112 Old 06-09-2006, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by persephone3
we always joke that alice will never want any piercings because that will be her way of rebelling!
This totally had me laughing because it's probably true

My 'rebellion' was dying my hair (any shade of the rainbow, just not any 'natural' colors) and piercing my ears. looking back now, I think I chose some great ways to rebel because they weren't really permanent. (dh gives me a bad time about it sometimes because, well, he didn't do *anything* ... I guess he maybe smoked a couple cigs during hs, but really, he was on a pretty good path .... one that took him to the seminary to be a priest... until of course I came along and stopped that ).

oh... and my sister has a Monroe. While it looks fine on her, it's not one I'd get.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page