1. My ideal place of living would be my own version of Maine. A house with a wrap-around porch along the rocky coast.... and I guess I always picture the living in autumn, just bordering on winter... where I could sit outside with the wind blowing, but I stay warm in my heavy, bulky turtleneck drinking hot tea or cocoa. And of course crab legs would be cooking inside. My house would have hardwood floors throughout, our heat would come from a centralized wood stove, we would be heavy on books, light on 'stuff'. It's really not a lot like we have now
I can work towards some things (we have hardwood floors and I like tea and cocoa... and we have plenty of books), but living in Maine probably isn't going to happen.
2. I'm a convert to Catholicism. I was raised ELCA Lutheran and at one point my parents thought I would become a minister. I converted in 2002. Contrary to popular belief (um, my parents), I did not do this simply because dh is Catholic. While I believe in a single-faith family, I went on my own journey and this is where I ended up.
3. I'm not nearly as crunchy as I'd like to be. We still eat out (when we can afford it) and it's certainly nothing remotely close to organic. And right now I still like sugar.
4. I struggle daily with affluence vs. simple living. We're nowhere near a position to live affluently, so that sounds like a silly thing, but there are some days when I think it could be fun to put on makeup, go shopping, etc. But I don't. For good reasons. But it's still hard.
5. I know German. I only took two years of it in high school, but it came to me so well that I felt like I didn't have to 'work' at all to learn it. I took a trip to Europe (England, France, Switzlerland, Italy, Austria, Germany, The Netherlands) with a few students from my German class and my German teacher. I most of it. I would love to go back to England. But not so much France.
and, a few bonus items:
-- I love pad thai (rice) noodles. LOVE them.
-- I love garlic.
-- I don't use margarine, but love butter. *real* butter!
-- I don't shave my legs.
-- I want to go no-poo.
-- I've never had a garden. This year we're planting a tomato plant, jalapeno plant, a pumpkin plant, and a couple of strawberry plants. We'll see how it goes!