Mothering Forum banner

How much is your 5 month old sleeping?

597 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  mamanurse 
#1 ·
My daughter still takes several naps during the day, sometimes as many as 4, although they are frequently short. She usually is up about 3 hours between naps, maybe 4 before going to bed for the night. She usually goes down between 9 and 10. How about your babies?

#2 ·
Luka nurses 2-4x a day and sleeps from about 11pm-??? His wakeup varies widely depending on what we have going on. He prefers to sleep past noon, but usually that can't happen because we have places to be and/or Julian is too in his face. Often he is awake and cranky at 7:30-9 with the rest of us.

#3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by hottmama
Luka nurses 2-4x a day and sleeps from about 11pm-??? His wakeup varies widely depending on what we have going on. He prefers to sleep past noon, but usually that can't happen because we have places to be and/or Julian is too in his face. Often he is awake and cranky at 7:30-9 with the rest of us.
Wow do I envy you! I loved the first month or so when we all slept until noon. She slowly started waking earlier and earlier until now she gets up between 6:30 and 7:00 every morning. And my dh and I are NOT morning people. :yawning:

#4 ·
Simon is almost 6mo now, and is still napping about 3x/day. Usually 2 naps of 1.5hrs each, and a 30min catnap in the late afternoon. It varies, though, and some days he just catnaps all day.

He's generally up at about 7am, and to bed between 7-9pm.

#5 ·
i need to keep better track of this! E is still awake right now b/c his brother came in at midnight and woke him up (he had just gone to bed) but he'll sleep until around 11 or so tomorrow (w/ nursing in there of course) b/c i dont have anywhere we have to be.
he usually takes a few naps but still wont nap without me. i think im going to start wearing him more during the day b/c im getting a little tired of not being able to do anything, kwim?
i wish he would go to sleep earlier but we are all nightowls and dont go to bed until later anyway so i dont think he would ever go to sleep early like some babies do. 8pm? OMG! no way!

#6 ·
ava's up by 6:30 every day, sometimes earlier. she takes 3 big naps a day (at around 9ish, 1ish, and 4ish - she sleeps upstairs in our bed surrounded by pillows) and sometimes catnaps too depending on what we're doing (in the car, on walks, etc). she's down for the night by around 7:30 or 8. she used to sleep for a 7 or 8 hr stretch and then 1-2hr stretches but now she averages about a 4hr stretch first, and then 2-3hrs btwn nursings. if we were actually in bed together i know i'd get more sleep because i could just roll over, but my back is still so bad that it's too painful so i'm still in the recliner and she's still in her moses basket (which she is almost too big for. lord help me.). but she's showing me that she'd prefer to not be in her basket anymore (probably bc of the size) and likes to sprawl on me so we often fall back asleep with her on my lap, which means that i'm mostly sitting up and that's hurting my neck. soooo the crib goes up this weekend (Sidecarred of course) and i'm gonna try my luck in bed.

this is COMPLETELY different than rowan was. he was a night owl (still is at heart, though his schedule has changed a bit). he was up until 11 usually and slept until 11 or 12 the next day. he'd ONLY sleep *on* me until he was at least a year old. i don't really remember when it changed, but it was a loooooong time.
: at 3 he still needs me to fall asleep and will only tpically nap if he's in the car. or just plain old friggin exhausted. LOL

#7 ·
Oh my goodness Minoh, Simon sounds great now. What did you do to extend those naps.

Aveena has no set pattern. I've just gone through a week of trying to 'work on' her naps and have given up cause it seemed like torture. She goes to bed at about 7pm though and sleeps till about 6.30

#8 ·
Quote:
Oh my goodness Minoh, Simon sounds great now. What did you do to extend those naps.
Maybe not "great", but getting better

For most of his naps, I try to lie down with Simon in bed and nurse him to sleep. He's usually up within 30min, but if I'm right there, he nurses right back to sleep without really waking. That way, he usually sleeps at least 1.5hrs, sometimes 2! The nice thing is that I love to be there when he wakes: he'll stretch and smile at me - what a change from the cranky, still tired baby. I figure maybe eventually I don't have to be there and he'll just extend the nap on his own.

I also wear Simon for his other naps, if we can't lie down for long enough. He loves to sleep in a wrap or MT, and I like having him close so I can get him back to sleep if he wakes shortly and is still tired.

Nights are super variable still. He actually had one night recently with only 3 wakings
, but that was very unusual pretty much a one-time thing. I definitely find that if he sleeps better during the day, he'll give me a couple longer stretches (at least 2, maybe 3hrs), at night, which is so nice.

I've also stopped trying to figure it out and am just going with the flow!

#9 ·
Another thing is I really only put Simon to bed now when he's definitely tired. I used to start the routine when he began to show tired signs, or when he was up an hour and a half, like books suggested. But that sometimes resulted in no nap at all and me getting frustrated. Now when I'm sure he needs a nap, he falls asleep much more quickly.

I also tried darkening his room, etc, but none of that matters. In fact, he seems to sleep better during the day when the blinds are open. I also leave the radio on.

#10 ·
OMG, Cailan really is Little Mr. No Sleep.

Naps? What are those? He usually has a nap in the morning and one in the afternoon, usually for a half-hour each. If they last an hour, DH and I are amazed.

On good nights, I nurse him to sleep at 8. He might sleep till we go to bed around 10, but he often wakes up at least once. Once we come to bed and he's snuggled with me, he sleeps pretty well. Usually wakes up 2-3 times in the middle of the night to nurse, and he's awake for the day by 7 am.

Last night he went to sleep at 8 and slept until midnight. We were amazed. Of course, I think it's because I broke down and gave him Tylenol
: (he'd been so so cranky and wailing all evening and I think he's really bothered by teething) and since I won't do that every night I'm not expecting a repeat of that long stretch of sleep.

#11 ·
Livi has been kind of a twit with her sleeping recently. I thought she had set herself a pattern, but she through us a loop ever since we came back from our CA trip almost two weeks ago. It seems as though she's loosely following this pattern now. Wakes sometime between 6-6:30. First nap around 8:30-9 for about an hour or two. Second nap around 1-2 for about two hours. She generaly starts acting really sleepy around 6 and is in bed for the night latest by 7. She wakes up once at night to feed generally around 4ish (new for her, she used to sleep 12-13 hours straight).
:

If she doesn't follow the aforementioned pattern, then she generally takes three catnaps during the day. She is really consistent with her nighttime pattern.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.