Mothering Forum banner

i started a weight loss thing online

2K views 45 replies 10 participants last post by  aisraeltax 
#1 ·
well, i have actually gone way beyond what i thought i would ever do. i have to come out and admit this for myself and my babe...there are many factors that have contributed to this, but basically lack of exercise (i think for this one issue, sahm'ing is not to my benefit) and bf'ing has caused me to really go off the deep end. you guys are not going to believe this, but i am the weight i was when preg!!! yes, i lost some weight, but now i have gained it all back. i am starving all the time!!!!
so, im doing 2 things.. first, i am purchasing a jogging stroller. i really did not want a stroller but i need a jogging stroller b/c waiting for dh to get home, eat dinner and be ready to watch the baby while i go jogging is NOT working out for me. i need to do this in the am. going to the gym is not an option for me right now b/c i dont want to leave E with any friends or in the gym daycare..i just dont right now.
i also started a weight loss program online. its in my sig now for the world to see. but here it is again.
no one can understand how i feel. i lost weight with both kids really quickly. gained 25 lbs. with both of them. i gained 50 lbs. with Ethan and lost a few but have gained back (i dont blame bf'ing...dont get me wrong, but it has NOT helped me lose weight..i have been starving). i am too inactive but i have never in my life had to worry about my weight. i have always been very thin, but never considered myself thin, if you kwim? i was always worried about my weight when in retrospect i had no reason to.
so, please, mamas, help me out! i am eating the food that is in the house right now but i shop on Fridays, so if you see somethign in my diet (everything is longed on...and i mean everythign!), that i should eliminate or replace, let me know. i am soooo hungry!! all the time! i am trying to replace foods that i eat with foods that actually feel me up without putting too much fat in my diet (or at least that is conducive to a healty weight loss system).
you guys have no idea how hard this is for me to deal with, or to admit. i dont know the first thing about losing weight b/c i never had to do it before.
so, please give me advice if you have it. and keep a check on my plan if you will. i know many of you can help with the nutrition part of this.
thanks for being here for me and allowing me to get this off my chest!
rach

See less See more
#28 ·
T,
do you or anyone else know how you can enter a slice of pizza in the online journal? i didnt eat the whole thing! its a rule of mine to have our leftoevers for lunch and since ds1 and his friend were here last night, pizza was leftover. yes, im going to try and get better pizzas next time, but i feel i am doing better (although yesterday i didnt do well b/c i only had 1500 calories..the last thing i need my body to do is think im starving!!!).
those hershey candy bars were tempting last night around 1am when E was wide awake! ( I TELL YOU...WIDE AWAKE)...but i didnt succumb. i had water instead. from now on, when i crave junk, im going to drink water.

#30 ·
Oh hey, that FitDay thing doesn't have a category for "nursing/pumping milk for baby" but I read online that producing milk burns about 500 calories per day. Whee!! A freebie for nursing moms.
Anyway, I picked another activity from their drop-down menu that works out to 500 calories per day. So if you're wondering why my log says I burn 500 calories per day hunting elk, that's why.

#32 ·
Studies have shown that most healthy breastfeeding women maintain an abundant milk supply while taking in 1800-2200 (or more) calories per day. Consuming less than 1500-1800 calories per day (most women should stay at the high end of this range) may put your milk supply at risk, as may a sudden drop in caloric intake. (See Can I diet while breastfeeding? for more information on calorie restriction).

just an fyi

#33 ·
When I used fitday I just increased my "base" level from sitting/some walking to the next one up.

As a warning, fitday seems overly generous with your "base" calorie needs. When I'm paying attention to such things, I tend to go back and forth between fitday and sparkpeople.com

#34 ·
wendy, do you mind me askign what you mean by baseline? right now im just using fitday to track my food intake and will begin with the exercise stuff, but i dont understand what i can adjust. of course, i just figured out how to make it "public". lol!
thanks
rach

#35 ·
Woah, they've changed it a bit...

Go to "home" and you can set your "lifestyle level". Based on that and your weight, fitday calculates how many calories your body needs to keep your body going.

Hmmm, now "lifestyle" and "basal" are two separate items in the calculation of calories burned. I interpret the "basal" to be how many calories it takes to support your basic bodily functions, and the "lifestyle" as how much energy it takes to keep your body upright in a sitting position and walking to and from the kitchen, etc. Make sense?

HOWEVER, based on telling fitday that I'm female, weigh 160 pounds and that my lifestyle is "seated, some movement" it tells me I require 2506 calories to maintain my weight. I currently maintain this weight by

*eating ~2300 calories per day
*breastfeeding a 17 pound baby
*walking/running about 15 miles/week
*maintaining a garden
*doing all the laundry, including 2 loads of diapers per week
*slinging above 17 pounder to sleep 2-3 times a day.
*climbing 15-20 flights of stairs per day

Like I said before, I think fitday overestimates this "basal+lifestyle" aspect.

#37 ·
i think we should be able to put "wearing baby" as an activity!!! just dont know what to substitute for it..but i refuse to put all the stuff i do on there (transferring laundry...if i i did that i would be on that site all day and therefore doing nothing!lol!)

one big problem...i am really crazy with my calories. it fluctuates so much but i really am trying to eat less....but yesterday i ate over 3,000 calories. i know this is b/c dh was home and b/c we had baked beans (a can! omg!) for dinner...b/c well..the kiddos were gone (other than Ethan) and i was lazy and didnt make a veggy...but my caloric intake is all over the board!!!

check out this report (avg. for the week i guess)

Average Calories

grams cals %total Total: 2349 Fat: 73 655 29% Sat: 25 228 10% Poly: 17 155 7% Mono: 25 222 10% Carbs: 342 1235 54% Fiber: 33 0 0% Protein: 100 401 18% Alcohol: 0 0 0%

WDYT???

#38 ·
You can do it! I will be your cheerleader!

I've spent the last 7 years of my life overweight...until now. Since I had Daphne and I am 99% sure she is my last one I needed a kick in the butt. I have been miserable for 7 YEARS.....and that isnt any way to live. So anyways, in January I started weight watchers (not through them, I just use info free info from dwlz.com so I dont have to pay for it) and I am happy to say I have lost 85 pounds since I had her (55 since starting WW). It hasnt affected my milk supply at all, daphne is a huge chunk and poops all the time, so I know she is getting enough. She doesnt even need solids at all. I do add 10 pts a day for bf'ing. I was 230+ at my highest and I am currently 145. (My goal is 140 so I have 5 more to go plus this stomach flab is horrible but hey, what can you do but try?!)

I have kept track of my weightloss through fit day but I never have the time to enter everything I eat. I do keep a mental track of my points but I have a weird number memory thing, if I didnt I would definately write it down. Writing down makes it visable to see what you are eating that is ok and what is not.

#39 ·
WOW!! Huge round of applause for Desiree!!!

Question for you experienced weightloss mamas - I've been working out every day for 7 days now. Um.... when does the weight magically begin to drop off??

Also, let's discuss some of the fringe benefits of exercise! From the first day I've felt more energetic, and psychologically I feel good about what I'm doing. Yay for exercise!

#40 ·
FOr me, I can exercise all day but I still have to change my food or else the weight doesnt come off. I dont know why it works like that. But from exercise I do notice an increase an energy and ultimately, that is what will get rid of the flub. LOL I walk on the treadmill but only in 20 minute increments and about 3 times a week. Sometimes we will walk outside instead and push the kids in the double stroller and take the dogs. They PULL me the entire way but hey, keeping up with them gives me some "resistance" training right?! HAHA I do need to do better on exercise. I used to love belly dancing, I should try that again.

Rach- I just read over your logs...a few tips that work for me....

instead of whole grain bread slices, whole grain english muffins have less calories...I like turkey, sprouts, tomato on mine. If chemicals dont bother you then some fat free cream cheese too. Or mustard if I am in an anti chemical mood. LOL I do water only for thirst but I do have 2 cups of coffee in the morning (with Vanilla coffeemate creamer
) but I measure the creamer out to an exact serving size so that I dont have to double the calories/fat. I eat total cereal or special K red berries with nonfat milk everyday just cause I like it but oatmeal is a good breakfast too and more filling. I do alot of fruit for breakfast too, especially if I am on the go.

For lunch I do alot of pinto beans (or black beans) on white corn tortillas with chicken (I make a bunch at once and then put it in the fridge so its easy to just throw together) and a tomato/onion/garlic/cilantro salsa that I make (then I dont even notice that there is no cheese, or if I want cheese I do a small amount of low skim mozzy.) When I am feeling snacky I use that salsa on baked chips. Or I put it on rice cakes. I keep lots of rice cakes for snacks, baby organic carrots, plain yogurt with real fruit, apples, pineapple, popcorn (I buy microwave 94% fat free but you can pop your own with no fat if you want). I need a sweet here and there too so I usually keep skinny cow ice cream bars on hand. LOL Its better to forgo sugar all together but I just cant. Well I COULD I suppose but I dont really want to. LOL Or if we are out and about I order a 12 oz nonfat vanilla latte or 12 oz nonfat caramel macchiato and it gives me my sweet "fix." On weekends I do a glass of wine as my "dessert."

For pizza...you can get a lower fat version too. Sometimes I buy the WW brand veggie pizza (or lean cuisine or whatever low fat brand) for when I am in a hurry but otherwise I usually just have regular pizza (like if we are out) and I have veggie/cheese and no more than 2 slices (which is 10 of the 30 pts a day I allow myself.) Before I could have eaten 4 no problem..but I've been working hard at portion control and after awhile you feel full faster. Eat slow too, I read that it takes 20 minutes for your stomach/mind to send the message that you are full.

Dinners lately are alot of crockpot meals, tonight is chicken (frozen skinless bonelss breast) with teriyaki and vegetables. A bit of rice usually but we are out so chicken and veggies it is. LOL I like to go out to sushi too and most everything at a sushi place is acceptable on the lowfat/low calorie "diet." There are tons of lowfat cookbooks out there too. I've been using recipes from Quick 30 min meals from Weight Watchers and there is a 15 min section too which I like better. LOL

#41 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taedareth
WOW!! Huge round of applause for Desiree!!!
awsome work desiree!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taedareth
Question for you experienced weightloss mamas - I've been working out every day for 7 days now. Um.... when does the weight magically begin to drop off??
6 weeks. 3 weeks to make it a habit. 3 months to become addicted.

Remember to take a break now and then! Your body will need a few rest days. Great work in setting a new pattern!

#43 ·
Desiree, congrats on the weight loss! And it's good to see you post - it seems likes it's been awhile and I was missing you.

Wendy, thanks for the starting running link (was that on this thread or a different one?) I'm hoping to follow it, if I can figure out how to manage the jogging stroller, the hyperactive dog, and some kind of watch all at the same time. I'm okay with my weight but I'm not at all happy about my current level of fitness, and I have to find a way to exercise with Cailan and Utah both in tow.

#44 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geofizz
6 weeks. 3 weeks to make it a habit. 3 months to become addicted.
Can I just mention right now how completely unfair it is that men seem to reap instantaneous benefits from starting a new exercise program (building muscle and dropping fat) whereas women have to work at it forever to see the slightest improvement?! *whine* *complain*

#45 ·
Quote:
Can I just mention right now how completely unfair it is that men seem to reap instantaneous benefits from starting a new exercise program (building muscle and dropping fat) whereas women have to work at it forever to see the slightest improvement?! *whine* *complain*
Totally!! LOL No fair at all. My dh eats like garbage, drinks too much beer, and has gained 50 pounds in the past 7 years (he was super skinny 18 y/o when we got married) and even AFTER I lost the weight, his body fat % is way better than mine! URG.

I definately need to up the exercise......that will be my new goal for tomorrow, to do something ACTIVE.

I tried to do something "active" tonight but my stinkin dh just rolled over and went to sleep. Thanks dude. LOL

LOL Michele! Yeah right but thank you! LOL

#46 ·
Desiree,
I can't believe you were able to do that! Good for you! I haven't been feeling the "nutrition/exercise motivation" the last few days...so i need to get back to it. i consider losing 40 lbs. alot but losing 85 lbs. thats just an incredible life altering change and you shoudl be so proud of yourself. you are definitely my inspiration!
im going to check out the website you posted.
my problem (and you all know this from yahoo group, if you KWIM?) is that i am focused on ME and my kids and being healthy, and then THE SOMETHING ELSE (thats our code word) comes into play and i get bummed out and dont focus on what i should. i need to let that affect me less.
being here will help me.
please help me with motivation.
my jogging stroller hasnt come yet. i have to email the person i bought if from and see when he shipped it. hopefully its in the mail today. of course, its raining again for the last few days and makes it more miserable! oh well....
i agree with Wendy, though, it does take about 3 months for exercise to become addictive. i used to live in Boston and took the bus to work and walked home each day (right after ds2 was born). i lived about 2 1/2 miles from work and would use a recorder to dictate stuff, so i was actually "working". lol! when i changed jobs to a location where i had to drive, i went through serious withdrawals.
it just seems so hard sometimes. you know, i still FEEL like the person i used to be and then i pass a mirror and look at myself and realize that the person i am on the inside is not the person who everyone else is seeing right now. im tempted to pull a Queen Elizabeth and banish all mirrors from the house! lol!
i got the Fat Flush plan a few days ago and need to seriously read that. hopefully i can get it done over the next week or so.
thanks everyone!
rach

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.