Mothering Forum banner

i started a weight loss thing online

2K views 45 replies 10 participants last post by  aisraeltax 
#1 ·
well, i have actually gone way beyond what i thought i would ever do. i have to come out and admit this for myself and my babe...there are many factors that have contributed to this, but basically lack of exercise (i think for this one issue, sahm'ing is not to my benefit) and bf'ing has caused me to really go off the deep end. you guys are not going to believe this, but i am the weight i was when preg!!! yes, i lost some weight, but now i have gained it all back. i am starving all the time!!!!
so, im doing 2 things.. first, i am purchasing a jogging stroller. i really did not want a stroller but i need a jogging stroller b/c waiting for dh to get home, eat dinner and be ready to watch the baby while i go jogging is NOT working out for me. i need to do this in the am. going to the gym is not an option for me right now b/c i dont want to leave E with any friends or in the gym daycare..i just dont right now.
i also started a weight loss program online. its in my sig now for the world to see. but here it is again.
no one can understand how i feel. i lost weight with both kids really quickly. gained 25 lbs. with both of them. i gained 50 lbs. with Ethan and lost a few but have gained back (i dont blame bf'ing...dont get me wrong, but it has NOT helped me lose weight..i have been starving). i am too inactive but i have never in my life had to worry about my weight. i have always been very thin, but never considered myself thin, if you kwim? i was always worried about my weight when in retrospect i had no reason to.
so, please, mamas, help me out! i am eating the food that is in the house right now but i shop on Fridays, so if you see somethign in my diet (everything is longed on...and i mean everythign!), that i should eliminate or replace, let me know. i am soooo hungry!! all the time! i am trying to replace foods that i eat with foods that actually feel me up without putting too much fat in my diet (or at least that is conducive to a healty weight loss system).
you guys have no idea how hard this is for me to deal with, or to admit. i dont know the first thing about losing weight b/c i never had to do it before.
so, please give me advice if you have it. and keep a check on my plan if you will. i know many of you can help with the nutrition part of this.
thanks for being here for me and allowing me to get this off my chest!
rach

See less See more
#2 ·
Aww Rach.

I completely understand what you mean about the hunger and BFing. I've been struggling with my weight since DS2 (my 2 yr old) was born. I never had much of a weight issue before that, and was in fact a fitness junkie. I've been depressed for over 2 years about my weight. After Greyson was born, I've gotten even BIGGER, not by much, but enough to throw me into a severe bad body image depression. I'm very happy with my life, beyond the weight and some teen issues with my DD, but the weight issue weigh heavily (pun intended) on me.

I'm sorry to hear you are going through this and I think it's important that you do take the time for yoursef to lose the weight (before it affects your health, like it has mine).

If mama's not happy, no one's happy.

I don't want my babies in the gyms childcare either. I have a treadmill I could use, but it's just sitting there. With the three kids running around, I don't feel like I have time during the day, and don't feel like it at night.

I'm going to check out your link now.

~ Shana

#3 ·
Hi Rach,

I clicked the link, but I'm too techno-dumb to figure out how to navigate to your info. All I get is a generic intro page.

I have this huge fear that I am the annoying nag-it-all nutrition person of the forum that everyone cringes when they see I've posted. If that's the case, then just skip my post, and my feelings won't be hurt, LOL!

The liver is the key organ in the body that burns fat. It is also the filter of the body, removing all the toxins. If it gets "clogged up" with toxins, then it will sabotage any weight loss efforts you make, no matter how disciplined.

Chances are that if you've been putting on weight and feeling hungry all the time, your liver needs a vacation. A liver cleanse could jump start your weight loss efforts while restoring your health.

A really great resource for this is Ann Louise Gittleman's Fat Flush Plan. It cleanses your liver, which melts the fat from your body in as little as two weeks, and it actually improves your health.

There is tons of free info online about liver cleanses as well, but I like the plan in the book best for BFing moms. It's not as harsh a process, and friendlier to the lactating crowd.

I hope you see some great weight loss, not just for your self image, but for your long-term health as well!

#5 ·
But Jen, no caffeine? Ugh, I love my daily latte!

I totally see what you mean about liver function. I think mine's been jacked for awhile (see gallbladder surgery) and I definitely need to lay off the sugar, which is something my whole family seems to want, obsessively. And white flour too.

I think I'm going to get that book. It seems to to dead on with what I believe MY problem is with weight gain. (Except for the caffeine
)

Do I always hijack threads? I'm really sorry.

Still couldn't get to your personal info either, Rach.

#6 ·
Jen,
i see the book and am goign to try to find it cheaper than on amazon (im a biggy on half.com, etc.).
do you have any online sources to get me started?
i read something yesterday that said that soda sabatoges your liver..i definitely drink way too much! (diet))

#7 ·
pan, you are more than welcome to hijack here. the more i hear ppl talk about this, the more motivated i am. someone else started a post like this yesterday but hasnt been back, so i started my own b/c i really need to talk through this. i think im going to order the Bob joggging stroller..they are soo cool! and ive sold enough crap on ebay to purchase one NEW!!!! you just cant find them used!

#8 ·
jen, just bought the book. you can see my diet on a per day basis.

what the heck do i put in my coffee if i cant use sugar? do i stop caffeine cold turkey? oh boy!

what do i use instead of white sugar?????

and when it says no caffeine, does that mean no chocolate?

#11 ·
Don't worry, girls. There's a legal cheat for one cup of organic coffee a day. No decaf - it's more acidic, and contains trace amounts of the dry-cleaning chemicals trichlorothylene or methylene chloride

You can sweeten it with stevia or honey.

I do have to say, that DH was an 8+ cup a day guy, and decided to go cold turkey 2 years ago when we started Maker's Diet. He says the withdrawal symptoms were a bear, but now that he's off caffeine, it's the best thing he's ever done. He used to get several debilitating migraines a month when on caffeine, hasn't had one since he quit!

#12 ·
Good for you! No doubt this online diet-and-exercise tracking system will be a big encouragement for you.

As for foods to have in the house..... in my reading and research I discovered that low-fat foods get burned up quickly and leave you feeling HUNGRY again soon. Foods with fat and protein are digested more slowly, creating a gradual release of energy, thus enabling you to eat less but feel full and energized for longer. So I'd suggest snacks like peanut butter (put it on whatever you want - crackers, apples, etc.), cheese sticks, stuff like that. Oh, and drink plenty of fluids. In fact, when you find yourself hungry, go drink a glass of apple juice (or whatever you like) and if you're still hungry 10 minutes later, THEN go get a snack. It's so easy to misinterpret our body's need for liquid as a need for calories.

Good luck! You can do it!!

#15 ·
are the flax seed tablets any good (kind of like vit. e and fish oil). i take those every day but am wondering if i am getting anything out of it. there are no health food stores near us, which is so weird...
one thing i noticed when i ran one of the reports on that website today (which i think is really cool....to see what my nutrition level is), is that i need more vit. k and vit. a....any ideas for that? maybe ill add an apple today and add some of both but i dont know...i just dont know enough about nutrition.
i need to get my saturated fats lower i believe.
cant wait until that book gets here.
the online tracking is good for me b/c i will feel guilty writing it all down, so i wont eat it (perfect example is that i have a small stash of Hershey's choc. bars in my nightstand...i wanted one last night but didnt want to add it today, so i didnt eat it...i drank water instead..thanks for that tip!!!).
so,its an incentive. also, i dont want to write that i drank 3-4 diet cokes (although they dont add any fat, etc. they apparently affect the absorption of other things in your diet, etc.) and have been drinking more water. i have been going to the bathroom more (good, b/c it gets rid of the junk), AND i actually feel much better. i know that i will feel better and lose weight if i drink water (i used to tell my friends who wanted to lose 10 lbs. to simply drink 8 glasses of water for a few weeks and they would lose that 10 lbs.! duh! i love giving advice but not taking my own i guess.
thanks guys..i really do need encourgeemnt. yes, i could move this to health and healing or some bs, but i wont get responses there (well, ill get one or two and then the thread will die).
anyone want to join me on tracking? i would love to see what everyone else eats.

#16 ·
Rachel, Congrats on your determination! You can do it!!

I'm scared to write everything down. I feel like I eat SO MUCH but I'm hungry ALL THE TIME. I thinkI eat pretty well at meals (we're vegetarian and cook our dinners from scratch, then eat the leftovers for lunch) but I'm not doing so good at making healthy choices for snacks, and there are so many of them!!

Michelle, you should be able to get organic coffee at Whole Foods. We don't have Whole Foods here, but our regular grocery store (part of the Kroeger empire) has a good selection of organic food, including coffee.

#17 ·
heather, thats exactly why i need to write down eveything, b/c i just feel like i dont have control over it. during the day, im great. i eat healthy i think (although i dont eat organic all the time, etc.) but i am realizing now that i should be replacing these large bagels we get for breakfast. oatmeal isnt that appealing to me (although i convince ds2 to eat it all the time..i am so much better at watching the kids' diets than mine). but after 11pm, when dh is asleep and its just me and E...well, thats where my litttle (ok, not so little all the time) stash comes in. i cant eat 2-3 cookies..i konw that, which is why i cant have cookies in the house. yes, its great for those of you who eat 2-3 cookies (im jealous!) but i cant. ive been reading and i knew i had hypoglycemia (?) but there is a better term for what i have i think. very low blood sugar and huge cravings for sweet. i have known this for a long time.
this is really hard for me and i need to focus. i cant afford the WW program but need support. i know thats critical for me. if i SEE how little i exercise, or how badly i eat, i may do something about it. anything is bettter than the last 5 months, kwIm??

#18 ·
Okay, I signed up at the FitDay website. I noticed something in the disclaimer agreement though:

The Site is not intended for, and should not be used by individuals who are pregnant, nursing...etc. These individuals have unique nutritional, metabolic, and health needs. The Site will NOT present accurate information to these individuals.

Anyway, my username there is the same as here and I'll make my journal public. I just started working out yesterday so here goes nothing.... thanks for inspiring me

#19 ·
nak
im not using it to give me nutritional advice though...just to kee a log...kwim?? but i appreciate you letting me know...i am waiting for the book allnaturalmama recommended before i start a rigorous program (well, whole-hearted i shoudl say)

we can help each other!!

#20 ·
I requested The Fat Flush Plan from the local library but it'll take a while get here. In the meantime, I saw this editorial review about it:

Amazon.com
The keys to overweight are liver toxicity, waterlogged tissues, fear of eating fat, excess insulin, and stress, asserts nutritionist Ann Louise Gittleman. Her Fat Flush Plan addresses these problems with a targeted diet.

The Fat Flush Plan, filled with nutritional analysis and detailed explanations, is not a quick read. Despite Gittleman's assertion that the plan is "as easy as 1-2-3," it is quite regimented. No white flour, white sugar, margarine, vegetable shortening, artificial sweeteners, or caffeine. The diet emphasizes essential oils (e.g., flaxseed and GLA), protein (eight ounces or more, plus two eggs a day), vegetables, thermogenic spices (e.g., ginger and cayenne), water, and diuretic beverages (eight glasses/day of diluted, unsweetened cranberry juice). In its first two-week phase, the plan is a rigid, low calorie (1,100-1,200 calories/day), low-carb (no grains or starchy vegetables) diet. Phase two lets you increase your calories to 1,500 and add two "friendly carbs." Phase three, the "lifestyle program," moderately adds more dairy, carbs, and calories. Gittleman promotes walking and recommends strength training in phase three.

The book includes 41 recipes such as Grilled Lamb Chops with Cinnamon and Coriander, Breakfast Egg Fu Yung, and Cumin Sautéed Scallops. The Fat Flush Plan is recommended for dieters willing to commit to a strict plan for weight loss. --Joan Price

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taedareth
I requested The Fat Flush Plan from the local library but it'll take a while get here. In the meantime, I saw this editorial review about it:

Amazon.com
The keys to overweight are liver toxicity, waterlogged tissues, fear of eating fat, excess insulin, and stress, asserts nutritionist Ann Louise Gittleman. Her Fat Flush Plan addresses these problems with a targeted diet.

The Fat Flush Plan, filled with nutritional analysis and detailed explanations, is not a quick read. Despite Gittleman's assertion that the plan is "as easy as 1-2-3," it is quite regimented. No white flour, white sugar, margarine, vegetable shortening, artificial sweeteners, or caffeine. The diet emphasizes essential oils (e.g., flaxseed and GLA), protein (eight ounces or more, plus two eggs a day), vegetables, thermogenic spices (e.g., ginger and cayenne), water, and diuretic beverages (eight glasses/day of diluted, unsweetened cranberry juice). In its first two-week phase, the plan is a rigid, low calorie (1,100-1,200 calories/day), low-carb (no grains or starchy vegetables) diet. Phase two lets you increase your calories to 1,500 and add two "friendly carbs." Phase three, the "lifestyle program," moderately adds more dairy, carbs, and calories. Gittleman promotes walking and recommends strength training in phase three.

The book includes 41 recipes such as Grilled Lamb Chops with Cinnamon and Coriander, Breakfast Egg Fu Yung, and Cumin Sautéed Scallops. The Fat Flush Plan is recommended for dieters willing to commit to a strict plan for weight loss. --Joan Price

I need a strict plan or I'll never get the kick in the butt I need.

I was a size 6 and fit only 4 years ago. Now I'm not fit, though I have huge muscles under my fat. Yuck.

#23 ·
One very important thing to point out, that I think Taedareth may have been trying to say, is that you need to be very careful when losing weight while BFing. Each mama's body will respond to the changes differently. Obviously, monitor your milk supply by watching baby closely - pees, poops, fussiness, etc

That being said, I think the book (if I recall correctly) says it's perfectly fine for pg or bfing moms to start with phase 2 (of the three phases) and that some moms can tolerate beginning with phase 1. But PLEASE do double-check that!

The nice thing about this plan is that its focus is not the appearance of your body and the shedding of pounds (which is of course, a nice side effect) but rather the overall improvement of your health. Feed your body the natural healing foods it craves, and it will reward you with loss of cravings, the exact appropriate appetite for the amount of food you need, and a regulated metabolism that puts you in the optimal weight range for you.

#24 ·
as i said in the beginning, the MOST IMPORTANT thing for me is my bf'ing r/s with my son, so im certainly not going to do anything to affect that. i was under the impression that The Flush Plan was ok for bf;ing moms..i dont mind making sacrifices, but thats not one i want to make....
basically, charting my food intake and exercise is a good strategy for me and i dont mind eliminating things if it will make me healthy. as far as im concerned, i cant be healthy and overweight at the same time. they 2 are just not conducive....so, ill wiat for the book, but im weaning myself from caffeine, white sugar and white flour right now. thats really hard. also, im cutting out my milk from lunch and dinner..i think that has added to my weight gain/retainment. i love milk, but well...i like being slimmer more.
does that make senses???

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by allnaturalmama
Feed your body the natural healing foods it craves, and it will reward you with loss of cravings, the exact appropriate appetite for the amount of food you need, and a regulated metabolism that puts you in the optimal weight range for you.
Sounds great!! Actually kind of reminds me of the Maker's Diet. I have that book too and I think it's right on. Wish I could follow the dietary guidelines but right now I don't even know how we're going to buy any food this month, let alone expensive organic foods, and unusual foods like "kefir"....

Oh, and as for the diet and exercise journal.... Suddenly I can't wait to do my exercise routine just so I can mark it down in my online journal. How nerdy is that? If I'd know that was all the motivation I needed, I'd have done this years ago.

#26 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taedareth
Suddenly I can't wait to do my exercise routine just so I can mark it down in my online journal.
We need a "pat on the back" smiley, LOL! Good for you! And, I don't think that's nerdy at all. Whatever it takes to get us motivated, I say.

Fat Flush is very similar to Maker's, but a little more phobic of the animal fats, and focuses on the liver, wheras TMD is the gut (as I'm sure you know!) DH is currently on FF, but is going to revert back to Maker's once he gets a little closer to his goal...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.