Hot coffee + baby = BAD!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 06-10-2006, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was out for lunch today and at the end of the meal I ordered a latte. It arrived at the table in one of those huge bowl-like cups. The waitress put it really close to me/edge of the table. Scarlett was in my arms facing me...keep in mind this all happened in a split second...I thought to myself "I need someone to help me move that" then I thought "I can do it myself" and reached with one hand to move it. At the same time Scarlett turned around and went straight for it and pulled the cup down. The coffee covered her poor little hand and went up her arm. I slid the chair back so fast and grabbed someone's glass of ice water and plunged her hand into it...

But her screams!! I have NEVER felt so awful and helpless and guilty. Everyone was very helpful but I couldn't get her to stop crying (and no kidding, being scalded by hot coffee must hurt like mad!). Then I started crying and felt like throwing up...Scarlett is fine now. No blistering and the redness is mostly gone. It could have been much worse. Thank goodness it wasn't.

I feel awful. Am I a bad mom? I just keep thinking that I shouldn't have been drinking coffe anyways and why didn't I ask for help? Sigh. My poor baby.

Thanks for reading this. I just needed to spill it out. I feel better. But still guilty.

Kelli
#2 of 24 Old 06-10-2006, 01:22 AM

You are not a bad mom!
I can't believe they put your coffee right next to you while you were holding your little baby!
I'm so sorry that happened and I hope you feel better.

:Mama to 2 :
#3 of 24 Old 06-10-2006, 01:44 AM

I'm so sorry! You didn't do anything wrong, that was just one of those things that happens when we least expect it. I'm sure Scarlett forgives you
:
#4 of 24 Old 06-10-2006, 01:51 AM

Awww, no you're not a bad mom! It was an accident that could have happened to anyone.

Bethany, mama to M (9), J (7), S (4), and baby BOY 9/13/10!!
#5 of 24 Old 06-10-2006, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2mygirl
You are not a bad mom!
I can't believe they put your coffee right next to you while you were holding your little baby!

Well written!
#6 of 24 Old 06-10-2006, 04:56 AM
kir

you were so smart to plunge her arm into cold water. some ppl would have applied ice. you did a great job

k
#7 of 24 Old 06-10-2006, 07:55 AM

pft no way are you a bad mom! shit happens. seriously. if that's the worst that ever happens you're a saint. :

and kir - i'm one of the ones who probably would have applied ice...but you're right that water is WAY better
#8 of 24 Old 06-10-2006, 08:12 AM

it could have happened to any of us! I'm finding it hard to cope with all the guilt that parenthood seems to bring with it for me. It's hard to be gentle to yourself, but you are not a bad mom! We do the best we can, and love our kids... you are a great mom!
#9 of 24 Old 06-10-2006, 08:14 AM

Oh, poor Scarlett! And poor Scarlett's mommy. Ouch

I agree with others. I order hot coffee All The Time. I've *never* had someone set it down so close to Elliot's reach. It's generally still too close, but far enough away I can always get to it before Elliot (and his 6 foot wing span) can get to it.

I'm so glad it's healed well. A testament to baby skin.

Me right now:
: :
#10 of 24 Old 06-10-2006, 08:17 AM

Oh, and for future reference (reflex?), what I tend to do in a situation like that is to grab both of E's arms instead of trying to move the coffee. I then have someone move the coffee. I'm *not* saying you did something wrong or that any of this is your fault. I'm just suggesting that sometimes the easier path to prevention is to restrain the child. I guess that's hard for us to think of. Restraining a child isn't always that ap.

#11 of 24 Old 06-10-2006, 10:45 AM

if this makes you a bad mama, then i dont know where i am on the richter scale...maybe worse mama of the year.
i didnt post this when it happened bc i felt way too much guilt, but a few weeks ago, Ethan fell out of my arms. out of my arms. did you guys hear that? and yes, i was holding coffee, walking upstairs...i was scared to go after him b/c i didnt want to spill the coffee on him, kwim?
omg..the guilt.

i dont understand ppl who put things near babies like that. it was NOT your fault. glad she is doing welll though.

rach
#12 of 24 Old 06-10-2006, 10:56 AM

Awwww, Rach, here's a for you, too!
#13 of 24 Old 06-10-2006, 12:46 PM

I agree with everyone else. Accidents happen. The fact that you reacted so quickly and wisely, grabbing an ice water and plunging her hand into it - I'd say that makes you one super-duper mama!
#14 of 24 Old 06-10-2006, 01:29 PM

when rowan was an infant (less than 6mo) i fell down the stairs with him in my arms. i practically broke both of my arms bc i was squeezing him so tight so he wouldn't fall, and i landed on my elbows. that hurt like a mofo. and rowan thought it was hilarious. :
#15 of 24 Old 06-10-2006, 05:25 PM

You are so not not NOT a bad mom! You're human. We all are, and sometimes stuff just happens. I've done so many careless and stupid things with my boys. Do I feel like a total mess? Absolutely! But even though I feel like poo (just like you're feeling right now), I try to forgive myself, learn from the experience, and do better next time.

HUGS to you, mama.
#16 of 24 Old 06-10-2006, 05:29 PM

When dd1 was around 7 months, we were at a wedding reception. I set her on the table while waiting for everyone to arive. With out realizing a coffee pot was with in her reach. She tipped it right on her lap. Thank god it had been sitting out to long and had started cooling. Dh immideatly poored the water pitcher on her. Talk about a shocked baby. She wasn't hurt at all, but wet and scared. I felt terrible for years!!!
#17 of 24 Old 06-10-2006, 06:01 PM

If it makes you'll feel better, I'll admit to how many times I've accidentally bonked Titus's head. Seriously, like once a day I take a corner too sharp in the hall or he slips and hits the desk while on my lap or I'm setting somethig down and dont give enough clearance or.... you get the idea.

You're a great momma! Good thinking with the water!
#18 of 24 Old 06-10-2006, 06:14 PM

Yep, me too I've walked Aveena into objects. It give you a bit of a perspective on how loud they really can cry when they're upset. Not a good way to find out but it made me realise that what I thought of as crying wasn't really.....

Don't feel bad, sounds like she forgives you, and you get to give her lots of extra cuddles to make up for it.
#19 of 24 Old 06-10-2006, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allnaturalmama
I agree with everyone else. Accidents happen. The fact that you reacted so quickly and wisely, grabbing an ice water and plunging her hand into it - I'd say that makes you one super-duper mama!
That's right!

::: Just another WAHM using this forum to put off picking up toys and cleaning my house.
#20 of 24 Old 06-11-2006, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I know accidents happen...I just felt so awful. Scarlett is fine though, just a few red fingers (no blistering). And thanks Wendy for the suggestion. I knew as soon as I did it I had made the wrong choice (ie should have moved baby not the coffee) but I'll know for next time.

The funny thing is, I had just said to someone the day before that nothing bad had happened yet with Scarlett Ie falling off a bed/falling with baby in arms etc.

Well, I guess there is always a first time. For now, I will only be drinking cold things .

Thanks again for the support!

Kelli
#21 of 24 Old 06-11-2006, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2mygirl
You are not a bad mom!
:
#22 of 24 Old 06-11-2006, 09:42 AM

:

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#23 of 24 Old 06-11-2006, 03:53 PM

Luka's fallen off the bed and couch already. They're both pretty low to the ground and our floor is carpeted... he didn't even cry every time.

Today I let Luka crawl over to our kitty and grab her tail, of course she swatted him in his face... WHILE I WAS WATCHING! Bad mama! Thank goodness she had the sense to keep her claws in so he didn't actually get scratched, just smacked.

When Julian was a baby (1-2 mos) I was walking down the street with him in the Moses basket (1/2 block to a cafe near our house) and switched the basket from one hand to the other, but only caught one handle in my other hand- the other side fell down and he rolled out onto the sidewalk!!!! I ran straight home and nearly called 911, . Thank goodness he only got a scraped nose but I cried for hours. I've never put Luka in that stupid basket, that's for sure!

Point: accidents happen. They tend to get bloodier and more frequent as they get bigger, so get used to it. You did the absolute best thing by putting her hand in the cold water, I would never have thought that quickly. Hope her hand feels better soon, and that your heartbeat slows back down!
#24 of 24 Old 06-13-2006, 06:57 PM

aww, poor baby and mama! How scary! And NO you are not a bad mom at all! Bad accidents happen sometimes.

Desiree

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page