He hates avacado! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-12-2006, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So we did first solids tonight, officially. He hates avacado. : He screwed up his little face and spit it right back up. I don't think it's tongue thrust, because he had a small bit of sweet potato last week and seemed to like it and swallow it down. Should I keep going with the avacado instead and hope he changes his mind? Or should I try with the sweet potato again? How long do I have to wait to try another food? I was going to do one food a week, but if he's not going to have any more this week, then that might change things.

Could it maybe have been the spoon he didn't like? Is that difficult for some kids?
#2 of 6 Old 06-13-2006, 10:35 AM

I'd try giving it to him at least a couple days more. Titus definately liked it better the 2nd time around. I've read to give a new food for a little as 2 days and as long as 2 weeks before trying something different. I'm going to shoot for 5 days.

I did the feeder though, so he only had to suck, no spoon.
#3 of 6 Old 06-13-2006, 01:51 PM

Tharen still hates all solid foods. He makes ugly faces, but does eventually swallow. So far he has turned his nose up at Bannana, avacado, watermelon, and zuccini. I have just backed off. I occasionally offer the food again, and if he doesn't like it i back off again. Some babies take a long time to get used to the texture change of going from an all liquid diet to something with a bit of body. And there is also the flavor difference. I have heard that most children take at least three introductions to a new food to get to accept it, and sometimes more. So I wouldn't necessarily decide that he hates avacado's yet. And then of course some babies just aren't ready for solids at all at 6 months. I really thought Tharen was, he was giving all of the signs, but he sure doesn't like them when I try feeding him. So I will give up for a while and try again later. He definately isn't starving on breastmilk, he will eat when he is ready. All I can do is offer the food to him.
#4 of 6 Old 06-13-2006, 03:22 PM

well they say it can take up to 7 times (or something like that) for a baby to accept a certain food. My 1st DD hated green beans until about the 20th time she was ok with it. keep trying.

courtney

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#5 of 6 Old 06-13-2006, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Sweet potatoes are apparently much better than avacados. He gobbled them up. I'll try avacados again in a few weeks--I think you were right and he would have gotten used to them, but I wanted the first solids to be a positive experience for him.

Thanks for the advice!
#6 of 6 Old 06-14-2006, 08:49 AM

We were going to try avacado next but went with sweet potatos instead because we found a huge bag of organic ones. We learned our lesson to lower our expectations because Simon does not like the sweet potatos hardly at all!! I thought he would love them because he devours bananas.

We'll try again in a few days. I wonder what food to try next?

All the babies I know love banana, maybe try that or the sweet potato again instead of pushing the avacado for now. I think their tastes really change quickly so reintroducing it in the near future might work fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page