bathing suit is time is here again - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-13-2006, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok so i haven't bought a bathing suit in ages! I have gone shopping for them but aghast at the prices I leave without purchasing anything. How have i been swimming for the past , oh 7 years?? Well i'll tell you. I had my bathing suit from ages ago that i just wore and wore. I don't even know where the suit came from. Well pregnant with my first daughter my MIL bought me a suit b/c we were at her house with no suits. Well dh ripped that one pulling the tag out, so when my friends and i went to coco for a girls weekend i used my friend Vonis suit. She had multiple's. it fit so well she let me keep it. Post baby it fit badly, big boobs and left over baby fat. But my sister had a bathing suit that looked better (which is pretty amazing b/c she is skinnier then I), so i used that one. Now we get to post Baby # 2, and the white suit looked bad. Not only b/c of my flabby stomach and stretch marks, not only because of my huge thighs but because of my boobs. Big milk making boobs. Yes i was breastfeeding my 18 month old when i got into that suit before, but as experienced milking mamas know feeding an 18 month old and an infant make for diffrent size breasts entirely. So the short of it was the top of my nipples kept showing. They aren't big nipples like i have seen but the top was just TOO SMALL. so after swimming on a few occasions (with people who said "well who hasn't seen your breasts?" I used to be a noutorias(spelling?) flasher, and now as a breastfeeder well i'm not discreet.) So a shopping expedition was in order.

Let me tell you, they do not make nice looking or cool one pieces. No not at all. They had THREE to choose from. Yet their were about 25 bikinis and that might be batting low! I tried on a few but nope wasn't a pretty sight, and who ever thought THAT lighting would be good in a dressing room???? Aren't they trying to make us WANT to buy this stuff? Instead they horrify us by giving us the most unflattering light imaginable to see yourself standing their two babies later in a tiny bikini? So I decided on a blue one piece with little pearlesque circle's sewn on below the breasts. It looked ok from the front, but the back was another story. i ddin't feel like i had much choice b/s the other two options looked terrible. After all this i look at the price tag to discover $29.99 i have been stopped in my tracks by the price of bathing suits once again. Now my trendy sister tells me this is a resonable price but i don't know. However what choice did i have? I could get no bathing suit but i need one, i could go somewhere else but i just can't go through the hell of bathing suit shopping once again. So i payed their exorbatant sum and left, bathing suit in hand ready for a day at the pool with the kids. I am sure i will be the only 24 year old in a 40 year olds bathing suit. I yearn for the cute little bkin with teal flowers and orange trim. I LOVE orange, someday someone will make trendy cute one piece bathing suits .............that don't cost a fortune. I mean i know their are nice bathing suits somewhere, and dressing rooms that don't have bad lighting, but i'm just not in that tax bracket, so until then it's ugly suits in bad lighting.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#2 of 10 Old 06-13-2006, 11:40 PM

the last one i have is from Moving Comfort and it was an awesome bathing suit. the co. makes clothign exclusively for women who are active outdoors. the suits are so comfortable and can be worn under and wetsuits (when i used to kayak sometimes we would stop to swim and wetsuits and swimming are not that much fun if you are really hot, kwim?). what size are you right now (pm me..i am getting rid of some of my suits as well as clothes, and maybe something i hvae will fit you).
I did find really nice one piece suits before but they were 3 figures! yikes! no way would i do that again!
im sure you will look wonderful in whatever you chose!
#3 of 10 Old 06-14-2006, 12:00 AM

What about a tankini? They are cute but cover the belly. I've decided to get a tankini top to match my bikini bottom (which fits fine still, thank god!) because my stomach is not looking that hot with my new stretch marks. Plus, it'll be easier to nurse in than a 1-piece. Victoria Secret has swimsuits on sale, with tankinis for $15.99+. I also saw some 1-piece swimsuits at oldnavy.com, and landsend.com usually has good deals but they don't come in my size.
$30 is a good price for a swimsuit! The good thing about swimsuits is you can buy tops and bottoms separately and not have to buy a whole new swimsuit every year or every time your boobs change sizes.
#4 of 10 Old 06-14-2006, 12:44 AM

Old Navy is having a sale on separates right now, $10 per piece. They have tankinis, bandeaus, halter tops (the kind I got), teeny-tiny triangles (the kind I would have gotten, had my lactating boobs not grown to an E!), and one-piece styles, too. I like the separates because I can get 2 different sizes for the top & the bottom.
#5 of 10 Old 06-14-2006, 01:39 AM

Would you buy a swimsuit new with tags on Ebay? I've seen some decent prices ($10-$30) for the type of suits I like - one-piece competition-style Speedo and other brands. I'm looking for something slimming too, so my preference would be solid-color navy. But it sounds like your sense of color is more flamboyant than mine :P
#6 of 10 Old 06-14-2006, 04:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Target had some good mix and match tankini peices but the size pickins were slim. I saw a TV commercial that said Mervyns was having 50% off on Wednesday all day of swimsuits/summer stuff. I got a tankini on clearance at Target but even just bobbing around the kids in the pool the top was falling off on the shoulders. It sucks cause for the boobs to fit it has to be big size but then the rest of the tankini is all bagged out and stupid looking. LOL Oh well.

Desiree

#7 of 10 Old 06-14-2006, 08:42 AM

I agree, mix and match is the way to go! I went bathing suit shopping for the first time in years a couple weeks ago and it's amazing how wonky the sizing is. Tops were all too small and the bottoms huge for most bikinis I tried on. Then I went the tankini route, which had much better support and coverage on the top. I had to go to a more expensive store to have the option to choose seperate tops and bottoms, but it worked out well!

I think it's so important to get something you feel great in. Good luck finding something you're happy with!
#8 of 10 Old 06-14-2006, 08:43 AM

Oooops! double post!
#9 of 10 Old 06-14-2006, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

so i found a cute suit at victoria's secret on sale for $35. now to talk my husband into buying a SECOND bathing suit at a price (we and only we think) is to expensive. The first was from target.

courtney

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#10 of 10 Old 06-14-2006, 04:36 PM

I agree about swimsuit shopping. It can be horrible. It's even worse than shopping for jeans.

Not that we swim here anyway. It's cold and raining, again.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page