Samara is not liking solids- UPDATED with video - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-15-2006, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My first two were started on solids at about 3 months : . I didn't know any better.

Samara is 6 months today, and she seems to hate solids! I've tried giving her tastes of avacado, banana, applesauce, and sweet potato, but she makes the most sour puss face, and spits it back out! Did I miss some sort of window or something? I never had a problem with feeding my first 2, and they started much earlier. By this age, my son was downing a meal of homemade baby food in a matter of minutes. I couldn't feed him fast enough!

Should I back off with the solids, even though she is CLEARLY interested in our food and grabbing at my plate? Keep trying so she gets used to it?

I've been seeing that a lot of mamas suggest waiting until baby can self feed. I brought this up to my mother and she asked me how can a baby go from eating nothing but liquid, to feeding themselves? Don't they need an in between? Pureed food spoon fed by us? Isn't it hard for them to go from liquid to chunks, without ever having pureed?

Check her out trying sweet potato for the first time.

http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?use...7&ctime=062436

Bethany, mama to M (9), J (7), S (4), and baby BOY 9/13/10!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2006, 07:21 PM

Nope no problems going straight to real food. My dd never ate a bite of puree (dispite my best, though misplaced efforts)

-Angela
Old 06-15-2006, 07:28 PM

it happened again!!!

i think that its whatever you and your baby want to do. if she doesnt like the baby food, try holding off. the great thing about bf'ing is that you dont really need to feed her, kwim?

i have a baby food grinder thingy so i will probably try to puree some food for Ethan, but i havent started yet (remember hes only 5 1/2 months right now though, so i still have a few more weeks before the magic 6 months mark).

i guess if my babe was making a sour puss face and spitting it out, i would either try something else or back off for a bit and wait to see if she's interested later. if she's interested in your food, then maybe put some small peas on her highchair and see if she likes that. she may want it just b/c you are eating it. they can eat small peas right?

see..i cant remember anything!! !
Old 06-15-2006, 07:52 PM

I'm new to this whole solids thing, so don't really have any advice. But so far we've only introduced 4 things (rice cereal, banana, sweet potato and avacado just today) and I've had to really soften them up for Simon to want to eat them. He didn't like the sweet potato the first day, and just halfheartedly ate it the next day, so I stopped trying with that one. He also doesn't seem to like anything super lumpy at this point, preferring it very smooth.

Who knows - they're all so different!

I'd never heard of the whole self-feeding and chunks idea before I started Simon on solids. He seems to like the spoon idea, often guiding it himself, so I'm just going to keep going with it. We'll see if he like chunks a little later on (I'm still not sure how to get going with that).

Anyway, I'm sure that it's not a problem at all that you waited til now, and Samara will let you know when she's found something she likes.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birthjunkie27
I've been seeing that a lot of mamas suggest waiting until baby can self feed. I brought this up to my mother and she asked me how can a baby go from eating nothing but liquid, to feeding themselves? Don't they need an in between? Pureed food spoon fed by us? Isn't it hard for them to go from liquid to chunks, without ever having pureed?
It depends on the baby. Normally, they will know to gum a soft piece of food before swallowing, but not all will. DS1 was a conscientious chewer and could handle soft chunks, but not DD. She actually self-fed pureed food, lol. Pretty messy, but she loved every minute of it, and I didn't mind the cleanup.

And don't worry about missing a window. You've got a few choices of where to go from here: back off for a while, keep trying (some babies need several exposures to a particular food before liking it), or let her try some softer items from off your plate that she's showing interest in. Go with your mama gut on that. (insert here: teeny, weeny, non-pushy voice whispering - my advice is to wait )
Old 06-16-2006, 11:12 AM

FYI, DS wasn't ready for food at 6 months or even 9 months, though I tried it here and there. We waited until 12 months before giving him much of anything - and he eats EVERYTHING now. People always comment on what a good eater he is. I think that for some babies, you just need to let them take their time. DD on the other hand will probably be ready much sooner. She has had little smears of stuff from a spoon and likes it...even though I'm not going to start serious feeding for awhile yet.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisraeltax
it happened again!!!
Back to YG, rach?

We've been experimenting w/ solids for about two weeks now. At first, Drew didn't want any part of it and would spit it right out. I figured he just wasn't used to the texture or process of moving the food around in his mouth. I didn't sweat it, but at each meal I'd give him tastes of stuff from my finger and recently the spoon. Each day he's wanting to eat more and more at each feeding. Last night he was opening his mouth for avocado from a spoon. Like a little bird!

OT, lemme just say how much I LOVE avocado!
Old 06-16-2006, 01:26 PM

With Kearnan we exclusively breastfed until he could feed himself so he had his first solids around 9 months. I kept waiting for signs that he was ready and never really got any until one day he stole a pizza crust off of my dad's plate. Guess he was ready. After that he tried some finger foods off and on. He never did the puree thing. He didn't really start eating until well after his first birthday though. He never seemed to need it. But he has always been a good self feeder and a neat eater. Though some of that may be because of his SPD.

With Tharen he seemed so hungry and so interested in my food that I started trying solids when he hit 6 months. He hates them. We have tried banana, sweet potato, avacado, watermelon, and zuccini. He wants nothing to do with it. I have tried little chunks, puree, the mesh feeder, letting him hold the spoon. He begs for the food, but when it gets in his mouth ooh boy. He makes ugly faces and spits it right back out. But next day he is begging for the solids again. And he is so hungry all the time the ebfing is almost killing me. So we are laying off solids for the time being. I offer periodically and he refuses and I try not to worry about it. After all Kearnan didn't eat till 9 months and he turned out fine. I'm not crazy right.... right??!?!?!?
Old 06-17-2006, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I gave Daph a taste of smooshed peas and she gagged and gagged and spit it out. Then I gave her a taste of some organic applesauce and she gagged and spit that out too. LOL I was eating a nectarine tonight and she acted like she wanted it so I let her suck on a peice and she seemed to like that but only I think cause it was something to rub on her tooth that is popping through on the bottom. WIth Jevin, he didnt eat solids daily until he was 9-10 months. I would give him tastes of stuff here and there but it wasnt a daily meal occurance and he was the fattest baby ever just on BM. LOL I'll probably do the same thing again. If she acts like she wants it though, I let her taste it (so long as its something healthy. LOL)

Desiree

Old 06-17-2006, 10:16 AM

i was wondering if we have to smash peas for Ethan. im still in the contemplation mode right now but think did give him a bite of my avocado the other night and he was a bit indifferent to it. he ate it but wasnt excited. just looked at me strangely. we had peas with dinner....could i just put a few on his highchair and let him at it? or is that a bad idea?

and why am i so stupid with my 3d child? i never had many of these questions with my first 2. oh, wait, thats right..i trusted our pediatrician to tell me all about introducing rice cereal at 3 months and other crap like that! lol!
Old 06-17-2006, 12:22 PM

Loved the video! Samara's hair is so cute!! Her reaction was just about like Elliot's when I gave him sweet potatoes... although also did the little head shudder like it was something really gross in there... but then when I offered a second bite he did take it . Haven't really tried since then (that was 2 weeks ago).
Old 06-17-2006, 09:33 PM

what a cool video! she reacted like Ethan did a couple days ago to avocado and today to a fingertip of ice cream dh gave him...indifferent. well, maybe that was a sour puss face, but it was sooo cute!
Old 06-18-2006, 12:20 AM

Love the video...I need to find out how to do that!
Old 06-18-2006, 12:36 AM

ahhhhhh!!! i LOVE the mohawk.

as far as them acting interested in food i really think it has more to do with the fact that they see US eating and want to copy. I say this because whenever i am drinking a glass of water jospehine wants to grab at it and bite it. So i let her gnaw on it, well then i thought maybe she wanted some so i tipped the glass towards her and got a little water in. Boy was she pissed. thats when i realized that all day long she sees all of us drinking from a glass and she just wants to do it too.

everyones asking me about solids, but i am waiting for two teeth and the ability to sit up on her own.

(oddly and i know this is off topic as we are talking about eating,but....
Josephine can't sit by herself,{well yesterday for a seond} but she can stand if she is holding to something, and even started cruising with her hands , but she didn't move her feet so she sort of looked like a leaning tower. . But jewely sat up first. Then tonight josephine was in her johnny jump up : laughing away AND walking towards the hall and jumping .I'm just wondering when she will do the sitting thing or if she will go right to walking, and what ever happened to crwaling?She's 5 1/2 months! jewely walked early 8 months but jeez....)

courtney

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

Old 06-18-2006, 12:50 AM

purees don't exist places w.out food processers, do they not learn to eat? we started solids at 9 months when alice got a pincer grasp and could feed herself. i see your mother's logic, but it is incorrect.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
the video is so cute! She's a doll!

Desiree

Old 06-19-2006, 09:33 AM

courtney, ethan is doing NONE of those things. don't worry. i know thats hard to do, but i just wish he would sit up by himself (everyone else is) but i know he will do it in time...he's very strong but he only rolled over 2 days ago (well, he rolled over a long time ago but i dont know why...that was a flook! (how do you spell that word?).
Old 06-19-2006, 10:18 AM

Cute kid! Don't worry. My dd is almost 8 months and still doesn't want solids. Its ok!
Old 06-19-2006, 02:54 PM

Cute video.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:54 AM

http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...PIM4800MPG.flv

well i didn't want to start a new thread when the topic is along the same vein. (sorry for hijacking, but i didn'tthink you would mind)

josephine liked avacado. i wasn't going to feed her anything until she had two teeth ad could totally sit up unassisted, for some time...but i was mashing avacado for dinner and she was sitting?sort of leaning in the high chair (first time ever today) and i just couldn't control myself. so i didn't actaully feed it to her but gave her the spoon with avacado. she gave me this quizaacle look when she first tasted it, her forehead crinkled then a smile started toform on her face and ended in an almost laugh.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

User Tag List