Sling/carrier ??'s for the mamas who went on shopping sprees - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 06-16-2006, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you like? Dylan is 5 mos, active, and 19 pounds and my sling is not working out and my front carrier (snugli) is killing my back. I find it very difficult to wear him. Any recs?
#2 of 19 Old 06-16-2006, 12:11 PM

I personally love a Mei Tai. I have three and two more on the way. You can carry your baby on your front, your back or your hip, and they are easy to learn to use. They distribute the weight more evenly across your body than a snuggly or even a ring sling. Though i do love my ringslings for quick in and out shopping and such. I can carry my 20lb 6 month old quite comfortably for hours in my Mei Tais. I really love a good back carry. Two of the MT's I have now are from Freehand baby, and so far they are my favorites. I hear great things about the Baby Hawk as well, and I have a Sachi on the way that I am excited about trying.

Alot of mom's really like their Wraps. I have been trying to find the wrap love for a while now, and just can't get it. They can be kind of hard to learn to use. I have finally pretty much just given up. I am happy with my mei tais any way, I just wanted something different once in a while.
#3 of 19 Old 06-16-2006, 12:22 PM

i love MT's. i have a mynestlings and love it. i also have a napsack and love that (the body is a bit trimmer and the straps are wider)

but i also love wraps. i have 2 and yes the learning curve is a bit difficult but im getting the hang of it hte longer i use it.

both distribute the weight evenly which is what the ring sling wont do. ive never learned the r/s...the rings always get in my way. i do love my pouches though.
#4 of 19 Old 06-16-2006, 12:46 PM

I would also recommend wraps and mei tais!

I'm finding mei tais especially nice in the warmer weather. They're also really easy and quick to put on.

Wraps are sooo comfy and versatile, so they're also a wonderful option. I guess it really just depends on your wearing needs.
#5 of 19 Old 06-16-2006, 01:21 PM

I'd love to have a mei tai. Titus is 23 pounds and if I'm wearing him longer than say- to run in and get a gallon milk, I use my padded ring sling.
#6 of 19 Old 06-16-2006, 02:26 PM

I love my mei tai too. I also would like to plug the Ergo; for me that edges out the MT (but only just!) for back carries, especially for extended periods.
#7 of 19 Old 06-16-2006, 03:29 PM

I love my ergo. I was in your position. I can't believe the snuggli says it can go up to 20 pounds or whatever. those straps would dig in my shoulders and it sucked. the ergo is so comfortable. yes it's expensive and seems impossible to get used but I think well worth it. I use it every day, around the house and on erands. I have almost completely stopped using the stroller. I am looking forward to using the back carry postition. dd is too scared to be back there just yet
#8 of 19 Old 06-16-2006, 04:25 PM

Just gonna : everybody else.

My favorites are my Ergo, my onbuhimo (which is like a Mei Tai, but with rings at the hips), and plain ole' jersey wrap - just a 5 yd piece of organic jersey cut 20" wide.

I just got a Didymos wrap, and I'm sure I'll like it once I get past the learning curve and it softens up. Still feels a little stiff and bulky to me.

Also like my Podeagi.

Ring sling is nice for popping in and out.
#9 of 19 Old 06-16-2006, 04:34 PM

I'm loving the Ergo. It's very comfy for me. We use it a lot for hip carries 'cause Cailan likes to face forward. Also use the front carry when he's sleepy. Haven't done too much back carry yet but we'll do that more as he gets bigger.
#10 of 19 Old 06-16-2006, 07:10 PM

I use my pouch sling the most. I have 3, actually- 1 fleece, 1 solarveil, and 1 cotton- the cotton one gets the most use. If you go on ebay and search for pouch sling you'll get a ton of WAHM results. That's where I got mine, 2 years ago and it fits better than my Peanut Shell or Hotsling (the WAHM asked for my measurements and made it to fit). It was only $18, too.
I also have a mei tai that I like for long trips, especially on my back, although I do front and hip carries with it, too. I would love an Ergo but can't afford one.
#11 of 19 Old 06-16-2006, 10:23 PM

Ergo, Ergo, Ergo I am a recent convert and I LOVE it - front carries feel great in it. It took ds a while to be ok with back carries in it, but now that he is, we're in heaven. The other afternoon I made dinner with him asleep back there and it was so nice.

Mei tais are also good for high back carries, where the baby can see over your shoulder. I use those mainly for around the house since I am not patient enough to deal with long straps in parking lots.

I've really wanted to love wraps, but in the hot weather I'm just not reaching for them, and ds never cooperated for back carries in them (he'd hyperextend his legs making it impossible for me to wrap him).
#12 of 19 Old 06-17-2006, 01:01 AM

I am loving my ring sling right now. I was using my wrap most of the time in the winter and still use it for long hikes, but for walks with the dog and shopping it is the ring sling all the way. i recently got an EllaRoo MT and was really excited about it. It is okay, maybe I am still in the learning curve part of it...I admit I am a bit disappointed. Mainly Scarlett seems kind of uncomfortable in it. I put the straps under her armpits, over my shoulders, under my armpits, over her first leg and under the second and tie it in the front. Maybe it hurts her underarms? Any suggestions? I really wanted to love the MT.

Oh and PS, do those of you who have multiple MTs find much difference between the brands? What do you think of the toy loops and pockets - good? no?

Thanks

Kelli
#13 of 19 Old 06-17-2006, 01:10 AM

Hated MTs. Too much of a pain to get on all alone. I am loving my Sutemi better than the ergo I tried or Patapum I owned. Still a wee bit tricky to get it on alone in public but it is very doable. And way more comfortable than a babyhawk MT.
#14 of 19 Old 06-17-2006, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlemum
I am loving my ring sling right now. I was using my wrap most of the time in the winter and still use it for long hikes, but for walks with the dog and shopping it is the ring sling all the way. i recently got an EllaRoo MT and was really excited about it. It is okay, maybe I am still in the learning curve part of it...I admit I am a bit disappointed. Mainly Scarlett seems kind of uncomfortable in it. I put the straps under her armpits, over my shoulders, under my armpits, over her first leg and under the second and tie it in the front. Maybe it hurts her underarms? Any suggestions? I really wanted to love the MT.

Oh and PS, do those of you who have multiple MTs find much difference between the brands? What do you think of the toy loops and pockets - good? no?

Thanks

Kelli
i dont put the straps under his armpits...just put the straps over my shoulders, and then either around my back (criss crossed) and tie around his back or sometimes under his bum, but not under his legs. does that make sense? i think E would be uncomfortable with the MT under his arms too. of course, he can take his arms out if he wants to. of course, its different if he's facing forward but i only do that when hes pinching me and pulling my hair and generally pissing me off!

oh, forgot to add..i dont like the pockets b/c they dont seem practicall....add too much fabric and i have a really big safety pin that i put on my MT and put a toy there for E to play with (with those linky things).
#15 of 19 Old 06-17-2006, 03:18 PM

Luka doesn't like the straps under his arms, either. I think bigger babies/toddlers might like it like that, but not 6 mo. olds.
I am surprised at people who think the mei tai is a pain- it takes me like 5 seconds to get him on my front, back, or hip. I've been wearing him on my back since 6 weeks.
#16 of 19 Old 06-18-2006, 12:05 AM

i'm still waiting for my mei tai i was supposed to get 5 months ago for my birthday..oh well.

i have a jersey wrap too.I made it. mines 24 inches wide though. i love it. it is a bit hot in florida (90 degrees +, it must be) but i have nothing else. It does suck b/c i want to use it in the house to get things done, still no AC. I tried tying a twin sheet into a sling, and well it works it hurts my shoulder and i just don't feel like the baby is secure.

so wrap (I am wondering if you could get solarveil fabric and make one) and i so badly want to try a MT they just seem so easy and much cooler......(dreamy look) someday.I have the fabric picked out and eveything.

courtney

edited to add tell me about the multiple mei tais you have and the brand you like best!!(insert cheesy smile)

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#17 of 19 Old 06-18-2006, 12:10 AM

Ergo Ring Sling, and HomeMade Jersey Wrap!!!
#18 of 19 Old 06-21-2006, 11:34 AM

#1 - ERGO! ERGO! ERGO! 80-90% of the time it is the only thing I use, and 90% of the time she is on my back in it. (Like right now, sleeping!). The thing that makes it such a winner is that it's SO easy to get on and off, and so comfortable. I have had nary a back/shoulder/neck carrying-related problem since I started putting her on my back in this. If I could give advice (that anyone would listen to ) to all new mothers, I would tell them to get their baby on their back as soon as humanly possible. It is such a life-reclaiming experience.

#2 - Rebozo. I carry one of these at all times to wrap around my Ergo (so she doesn't get sunburned), or to do a quick wrap carry for quick errands.

#3 - Podeagi and Amauti. I use these around the house to do housework and for a change.

#4 - Maya wrap. I used this non-stop when she was small, but only drag it out now and then for kangaroo carry or hip carry.

Out of my 15-20 carriers (need to do a count...), these are the only ones I am really using right now. If I can master a back carry with my wrap I might do that. I have a Mei Hip that I would love to love, but it's not versatile enoug
#19 of 19 Old 06-21-2006, 01:51 PM

I really like the MT now (we have a babyhawk). I didnt like it as much when she was newborn/younger cause her legs wouldnt spread enough to go where the legs are supposed to go and it would bunch up her body and make her too "tall" for the pocket part if that makes sense. But anyways, now she's big enough and it works perfectly!

Desiree

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page