Car Seat Upgrade - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 06-20-2006, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter seems to have outgrown her infant car seat. I guess there are only two sizes. Infant and those bigger ones. Has anyone upgraded yet? The one I bought, and I guess they are almost all this way, is only secured in the front. So in otherwards, if we were hit from the rear, she would fly backwards. Does this make any sense at all? What car seats are you all using?
#2 of 17 Old 06-20-2006, 01:53 AM

Not in your group, but a carseat junkie, so I thought I'd reply. Not sure what you mean about them only being secured in the front. The bigger seat is a convertible- meaning it can rear face or forward face. At her age she should still be rear facing for sure. The car seat should feel ROCK SOLID and shouldn't move at all.

hope that helps a bit!

-Angela
#3 of 17 Old 06-20-2006, 08:04 AM

Minniemouse is *officially* an expert (car seat technician)...so she'll have good advice...but i like my britax marathon.

i'm not sure what you mean about the car seat you got. it's a convertible, right?
#4 of 17 Old 06-20-2006, 10:48 AM

We recently switched Samara to a Britax Marathon and LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!! I love the fact that it can anchor to proivde maximum "rock solidness". It would not flip toward the vehicle seat in a rear collision. (Although I've read that the infant seats were designed that way...able to flop toward the vehicle seat back in the event of a rear collision, so that the baby's head moves with the seat and doesn't snap forward...does that make sense?) As far as I know Britax convertibles are the only seats that can anchor in the rear facing position.

Here's some good websites

http://www.car-safety.org/

http://www.cpsafety.org/

And a pic of Samara in her Marathon
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...une2006009.jpg

Bethany, mama to M (9), J (7), S (4), and baby BOY 9/13/10!!
#5 of 17 Old 06-20-2006, 06:46 PM

We've had Moira in a Marathon from birth. Amalie is still in one also. Really, really great seat.
#6 of 17 Old 06-20-2006, 07:38 PM

What you need is a rear facing convertible seat. You want your child rfing as long as possible, carseats in the US go up to 30-35# rfing. There is a wide range of seats w/ a ride range of prices. Do you have a budget in mind?

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#7 of 17 Old 06-20-2006, 08:09 PM

DS outgrew his at 4 months, and we switched to a rear-facing convertable. Children must rear-face until 1 year old.
#8 of 17 Old 06-20-2006, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kofduke
DS outgrew his at 4 months, and we switched to a rear-facing convertable. Children must rear-face until 1 year old.
I just recently learned that 1 year is the minimum. As long as your child doesn't exceed the weight limit for rear facing it's best to keep them rear facing as long as possible. I used to think you HAD to turn them forward facing at 1 yr. Boy was I wrong! Rear facing is SO much safer, even for older kids like 3 and 4 year olds who still come in under the weight limit.

Bethany, mama to M (9), J (7), S (4), and baby BOY 9/13/10!!
#9 of 17 Old 06-20-2006, 10:03 PM

We've had a convertible from birth since I can't carry the bucket. It's an Evenflo Triumph, and we really like it. It's got a very nice belt tightening/loosening system. There's a twister that tightens the belt and a button that loosens it. That way you don't have to be pulling on that little strap. It's not as pricey as the Britax, although it's also probably not as nice. But it was rated highly in the Consumer Reports and the car seat tests, and we like it.
#10 of 17 Old 06-21-2006, 12:38 AM

Luka outgrew his infant seat about a month ago, and since we couldn't afford a Britax, we chose the Cosco Scenera. It rearfaces to 35 lbs. (longer than the Britax or Triumph, which is good for my huge baby), and is only $40 at Target. It feels really secure in my car, I know he is safe in there. When he outgrows that we will buy a second Apex so he can be harnessed to 65 lbs.
If I had the money I would have bought one of the Britax seats that can be harnessed to 65 or 80 lbs.
#11 of 17 Old 06-21-2006, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have two Britax Marathons (my 3.5 year old is in one and Daphne is in one). I love them. They are really tight and secure. When Jevin was little we had an Alpha Omega and I hated that sucker. LOL

Desiree

#12 of 17 Old 06-21-2006, 10:53 AM

we have a Britax Marathon which is rear facing up to 33 lbs. after that it has the harness up to 65 lbs. as far as i know, its the only car seat that is tested with side impact crashes. we started that off from birth.

i got so irritated b/c i want to use the latch on it but stopped by the fire station the other day to get their assistance and no one was there. how can no one be at the fire station????? :
#13 of 17 Old 06-21-2006, 11:03 AM

FYI the marathon doesn't have side impact protection, but the Boulevard does.

Fire stations here don't do the checks... :

-Angela
#14 of 17 Old 06-21-2006, 01:04 PM

You already got some great advice. I'm at work so I can't post my full out "how to find a convertible seat" post right now... BUT... you need to DEFINITELY find a convertible seat...one that rear faces until a certain weight limit and then forward faces to another limit.

The best car seat for your child is...

1. One that fits your child correctly.
2. One that fits your car correctly.
3. One that you will use correctly EVERY SINGLE TIME!

This means that the straps are easy to loosen and tighten EVERY time you put your child in and out, etc.

If your child has a long torso, you want to find a seat that has higher harness slots rather than shorter ones.

A higher weight seat (like the Britax seats, the Cosco Apex and some of the other newer seats) although more expensive now...will give you more bang for your buck as you will be able to use the seat longer and possibly skip purchasing a combination seat later on.

I don't have a lot of time...but I did want to add a few notes:

1. All children will outgrow their rear facing seat once they either hit the weight limit of the seat OR the top of their head is within 1" of the top of the shell (the hard plastic part not the padded cover) of the seat.

2. All rear facing seats are designed to attach to the car near where the child's feet are...with either lower anchors or the seat belt. This will allow some rebounding from the opposite side of the seat (under their head). This is perfectly normal and will cocoon your child in a crash situation. Britax does allow you to tether their rear facing seats, they use a bit of different technology.

3. DO NOT use aftermarket products in or with the carseat. Extra padding, harness strap coverss, rear view mirrors, towels or seat protectors under the seat, pull down sunshades (window clings are fine) etc. These may interfere w/ the way the car seat works (voiding the warranty) or become projectiles in a crash situation.

4. Get to a CERTIFIED car seat check station and learn how to best install your seat. Everyone calls it getting your car seat "checked" but in reality you don't just want them to check what you did, but teach you the best way to install it yourself. You won't have a tech there to reinstall it for you after your child pukes all over the seat for the first time! (Unless of course if you live next door to me ). When I get the chance I will list a link for you to find a local station where you can go.

If you have any questions just give me a yell .

Oh and both of those links are invaluable resources containing tons of great car seat info!
#15 of 17 Old 06-21-2006, 01:40 PM

Quote:
If your child has a long torso, you want to find a seat that has higher harness slots rather than shorter ones.
This happened to us with my son's first carseat. He outgrew the top slots before he even turned 2! LOL

Desiree

#16 of 17 Old 06-21-2006, 01:40 PM

Quote:
This happened to us with my son's first carseat. He outgrew the top slots before he even turned 2! LOL

Desiree

#17 of 17 Old 06-21-2006, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisraeltax

i got so irritated b/c i want to use the latch on it but stopped by the fire station the other day to get their assistance and no one was there. how can no one be at the fire station????? :
Go to www.seatcheck.org Our fire and police stations don't do checks here either.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page