Sitting up, not rolling over - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-23-2006, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter doesn't want to lie down on her stomach or her back. She wants to sit up. She has always been that way. But now, shouldn't she learn how to roll over? She has been sitting up on her own for several weeks now. She has started leaning way forward when sitting to grab things. Maybe she will dive before she rolls. Is this o.k.? I can tell that her arms are pretty week. I try to give her tummy time, but she hates it. She can't see anything. Is this o.k.?
#2 of 5 Old 06-23-2006, 01:03 AM

Well, I think every babe develops in their own pattern. Some do somethings fast and other things slower. She may just be focused on other things. Does she pinch with two fingers? That's a huge skill.

That said, does she act like she's in pain on her belly or back? Have you taken her to a good chiropractor or cranial-sacral therapist? There may be something going on with her muscles.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#3 of 5 Old 06-23-2006, 12:50 PM

E is the same way: He's now 7mo2days and he's been sitting for ages. He hates tummy time, doesn't roll either way and shows no sign of either skill nor desire for mobility.

BUT: He waves hello and goodbye. He has a smile that melts even the coldest, hardest heart. He clearly signals a need for a diaper change or to nurse. He has a good pincer grasp.

His personality is such that he's interested in interacting with the world socially more than physically. Mobility will come when he's ready.

If your gut is telling you something isn't developing properly with your child, get it checked out. If your worries are just based on what you see about what other babies here are doing, tune it out.
#4 of 5 Old 06-24-2006, 10:44 AM

Bethany always hated tummy time in every way shape and form. She started rolling front to back pretty early (2mo?) because she hated being on her tummy THAT much.

Beth started crawling at 6mo to the day and finally started rolling back to front after that. She would get stuck on her back and want to MOVE .

It will all come in time, I promise.

Ben is army crawling. Up on his elbows and dragging the rest of himself around. Beth totally skipped this step so it is a new one for us.

Oh and I should add that Beth was walking w/ push toys at about 8.5mo and SPRINTING at 9.5mo!
#5 of 5 Old 06-24-2006, 04:01 PM

They are all just different. If you feel in your gut like something is wrong it wont hurt having it checked out but I just think all babies are different. Daph is the opposite. She'll roll all around the floor but she wont sit up at all. She wont stand on her legs at all either. She says mama and dada and tries to wave but has NO interest in the mobility stuff. LOL Jevin was the same way and now he is 3.5 and is CONSTANTLY moving and jumping. HAHA

Desiree

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page