Hey DDC mamas! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-24-2006, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hey moms of kid born- or expected-to-have-been-born in December 05!

A question for you all.

Elliot is chewy chewy chewy these days.

Elliot needs teething biscuits. I'd made Karen some really good ones without any wheat, but they were sweetened with honey. What's the story on honey for babies under a year when it's cooked? I've never figured that one out. I know raw honey isn't ok because of botulism (sp?) but won't cooking kill that?

The other sweetener I'd use is maple syrup, but since DH is allergic to maple syrup, it's going to be held back until age 2.

(Like the generic title? Like the fact that you can't tell what the thread's about using the mouse over?)
#2 of 8 Old 06-24-2006, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hm...good question. i don't know about cooked honey, i have no idea. can you sweeten with applesauce if honey's a no-go?

(yes. LOL!)
#3 of 8 Old 06-24-2006, 10:09 PM

oh we are a devious bunch!!!

this may help (but may not)

It isn't possible to remove the bacteria from honey by processing, without caramelising the honey. The British Honey Importers and Packers Association has advised its members to say on honey labels that honey should not be given to babies under 12 months. But this is not compulsory.

or this --

Q.
Hello Mary I wanted to ask you--we were talking about cheerios as a snack-- My kids don't like the regular Cheerios so I thought about trying the Honey Nut Cheerios. I noticed they do have honey in them. I know that babies aren't supposed to have honey (processed or otherwise) until they are 1 year old. Do you think that maybe they have such a miniscule amount of honey in them that it wouldn't matter or should I just stay away from them?
A.

I was thinking that the honey and sugar coating on Honey Nut Cheerios makes the cereal hard. It may be more of a choking hazard for a little one that does not chew than regular Cheerios.
As far as honey goes, I have done some research into that and the honey that is a risk to little ones is honey that is all natural and not heat treated. Although this is the healthiest type of honey, it does contain spores that can be dangerous to the very young with an underdeveloped digestive system. The Honey Nut Cheerios being cooked would have killed those spores.
Mary Howard is a Registered Nurse, mother of two, and enjoys natural gardening. Come visit her Homegrown web site

this by no means answers your question definitively...sorry i coudlnt find more reliable references.
#4 of 8 Old 06-24-2006, 10:12 PM

you are so evil wendy!!!

i'm pretty sure bakin at 250 kills botulism

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#5 of 8 Old 06-24-2006, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark
i'm pretty sure bakin at 250 kills botulism
That's the info I wanted.

Our honey is local and oh so yummy, but not at all processed. I guess Karen and I are making crackers tomorrow!
#6 of 8 Old 06-24-2006, 11:06 PM

Can I have the recipe, Wendy?
#7 of 8 Old 06-25-2006, 05:13 AM
kir

me too i need that recipe!!

i've been giving K&A all kinds of stuff to teethe on in those mesh feeders, but those are a PiTA to clean!

K
#8 of 8 Old 06-25-2006, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, I spent 30 minutes trying to find where I'd typed out the recipe before. Sometimes it's just easier to start over?

From LLL's Whole Foods for babies and toddlers, changed to make it a better teething cracker (thicker and harder)

"Oatmeal crackers"
5 c rolled oats ground finely in a blender
1 c water
1/4 c honey
1/2 c oil

Mix the water, honey and oil, stir in ~3/4 of the oats to make a stiff, dry dough. Flour a work surface with the remaining ground oats. Knead for ~1 minute to make a smooth ball. Roll out the dough to make a kind of thick layer (~3/8"; original recipe says 1/4"). Cut into hand-sized pieces and prick each square with a fork. Bake at 350°F for about 20 minutes (until brown). Prop the door open to allow them to cool slowly and harden. If I decide they aren't hard enough, I flip them and toast again for 10-15 minutes at 200°F.

Of course, I hadn't done this for a few years. If DD and I make them today, I'll report back.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page