DDDC--really boring question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 06-25-2006, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This question is so dull, really. There's no need to read any farther. Nothing of interest here. Move along.

OK, let's see if that worked or not.

Solids are going well here, with the exception of Stuart's usual distress about anything related to his gut (he woke us about 7 or 8 times last night so we could help him fart--he's incapable of doing this on his own : ). He just gobbles up everything we offer him. He's eating an ice cube's worth at breakfast and an ice cube's worth at dinner time. How much solids should he be eating if he's into it? Should I be adding more food? How soon do you increase the amount of solids he's eating? The websites I've seen (wholesome babyfood, maybe?) seem to indicate that a 6 month old should be eating 3 meals a day. I'd like to go a little slower than that. What are all of you doing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 06-25-2006, 02:04 PM

im interested in this really boring question. so interested, that my answer below is beyond not interesting..its so bad you will fall asleep if you read it right at your computer!

i would like to know. E doesnt eat anything right now. he's 6 months next week. ive given him a finger tip of avocado and he's put it in his mouth but showed no more interest than if i had given him a book to eat. actually, probably less interest than that.

but im interested in the boring answers that are to come.
#3 of 21 Old 06-25-2006, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The intestinal distress is worrisome. Something's not agreeing with him. What is he eating? Anyways, that would indicate a reason to go with your gut and keep it slow.

I've got non-eaters myself.. DS is 7 mo and interested in every aspect of food except putting it in his mouth. He gets avacado fingerpaint at dinner. When I was in UT last week he was getting banana finger paints.
#4 of 21 Old 06-25-2006, 02:39 PM

The title of this thread was so interesting, I followed it from the front page!

Sorry - unless DDCs become private, you're gonna get outside traffic. Good try though!

Anyway, sorry for the intrusion, back to your regularly scheduled thread...
#5 of 21 Old 06-25-2006, 03:00 PM

lol!
#6 of 21 Old 06-25-2006, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn
The title of this thread was so interesting, I followed it from the front page!

Sorry - unless DDCs become private, you're gonna get outside traffic. Good try though!

Anyway, sorry for the intrusion, back to your regularly scheduled thread...
Yeah, I was kind of afraid it might backfire.

Anyways, he's always had intestinal distress. No spit up or reflux symptoms, but he's just upset about his bowels and gas. I don't think he's any gassier than other babies, but I think he is really not comfortable with the sensations down there. I've tried dairy elimination, soy elimination, etc. The only link I have found is with large amounts of soy and bell peppers he gets gassier. But I really think he's just a fussy guy who doesn't like to poop or pass gas. He doesn't like baths either, and he hates infant massage, hiccups, sneezing--anything to do with bodily functions.

TMI ahead:

If anything, he seems better with the solids. The fruit in particular seems to help him move his bowels, although he had trouble with a semi-solid one the other day. He still passed it better than he passed most of his ebf bowels. I think pooping more often (he was a once-a-week guy) may help him get used to the sensations. I'm staying away from bananas and other constipating solids for a while just in case. We've done peaches, sweet potatoes and avacados, and I'll be doing pears next. He gets one fruit at breakfast and one veggie in the evening.

So is two cubes a day too much even if he seems to be doing better? I expected a bit of stomach upset just from starting something different, but it's a lot less than I thought it would be, and he does love the food.
#7 of 21 Old 06-25-2006, 04:40 PM
kir

Right now I offer something at most twice a day.

Straight up fruit seems to be too sweet--they get problems on the way out. So I offer a little porridge, along with some veg or fruit.

In the late morning, after a breastfeeding, I give a little porridge (rice/oatmeal/millet or some combo), maybe with a veg like squash or pumpkin and then a little fruit--papaya or mango or something. They usually want to nurse again after this. It's a big production, but fun. Then in the afternoon I usually give a little something. Like some porridge with a fruit mixed in. I do limit how much they take--mostly by bf-ing first so they're not too hungry. I don't like to feed both girls at once, so if they are both awake and hungry and I have no help, then I have no problem skipping one of those meals. But I don't want to get too inconsistent with skipping or changing times, because it's funky (I feel) in terms of my milk supply. I might be wrong about that, but whatever. My priority is still making lots of milk
#8 of 21 Old 06-25-2006, 07:27 PM

amanda,
when you say cubes, what do you mean? are you putting them in an ice tray? can you guys tell me how you do the baby food. i have a baby food thing but haven't gotten it out yet.
when you do sweet potato, what do you do?
#9 of 21 Old 06-25-2006, 07:57 PM

Luka just turned 6 mos. on Wednesday. We offered sweet potato fries (just sliced and baked til tender) on Thursday and he kind of sucked on them, even managed to chew and eat one or two (which I learned from his diaper, yuck!). But now he seems uninterested in them, and the avocado slices I gave him earlier got spit out as soon as he bit into one. I think we're going to wait a while before trying any more.
At this age, Julian was eating 3-4 oz./cubes of homemade baby food 2-3 times a day. We started him at 5.5 mos. on solids and he LOVED food. I'd say anywhere between those extremes (none and up to 12 oz. a day) is normal and fine, go by his cues!
#10 of 21 Old 06-25-2006, 10:00 PM

Drew has very little interest in food. I've tried both real food and jarred, and he'll eat a few bites of the real stuff (avocado, banana, sweet potato), and totally disses the fake stuff. I try to give him a bite or two of something, anything, off my plate when I eat.

I had new friend (who happens to be a new crunchy family doc in the area -- woo hoo!) tell me recently that she never fed her kids the jarred stuff. She'd always puree whatever she was eating in a processor and that it was fine, and that now her kids are the best eaters. I'm going to try that out. After a short attempt of making DS1's food, I went the organic jar route, and now he's the pickiest eater and it drives me nuts!
#11 of 21 Old 06-25-2006, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

So how many oz is a regular ice cube? 4 oz? That seems like a lot.

I've just been cooking up the food and then pureeing in the baby food maker I bought. I baked the sweet potatoes, poached the peaches and steamed the pears. I think you could steam the peaches instead, too. Then I've been pureeing, putting in ice cube trays, and putting that press and seal stuff on top of the trays. Then I'm leaving them overnight before transferring to freezer bags. It's not that much work, and I've been getting almost 2 trays out of every food, which is a lot of single servings.

I'll confess to microwaving the food, though. I test it really carefully first, and always let it sit to cool down for a while. Is there a better way to do it? The microwave is just so darned convenient! Freezer to table in 20 seconds.

This solids thing is way more confusing than I expected it to be. :
#12 of 21 Old 06-25-2006, 10:34 PM

an ice cube is probably ~1/2 oz
#13 of 21 Old 06-26-2006, 12:19 AM

I've always heard 1 ice cube is about 1 oz.
#14 of 21 Old 06-26-2006, 01:29 AM

SOOOO boring that I had to reply

I'm only doing one meal a day. He's into the avocado in the feeder, but I'm in no rush to replace any other meals. Even now he'll only take about half a "meal" and then want to BF to get full.
#15 of 21 Old 06-26-2006, 03:14 AM

Dd loves solids and I keep giving her as much as she wants until she doesn't want anymore. She feeds herself, so I just keep adding pieces until she doesn't eat anymore. She's still eating plenty of bm, so I'm not worried about her eating too many solids. However, everything seems to be agreeing with her. Perhaps your ds has some sort of sensitivity or allergy as mentioned by the pp.
#16 of 21 Old 06-26-2006, 11:53 AM

i tried to give E a piece of a sweet potato last night but he's just not interested.

our feeder gets all messy...i think i bought the wrong kind (its a Sassy) and it gets grosser than just giving him something. maybe ill get the other kind, although i dont remember what they were.
#17 of 21 Old 06-26-2006, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisraeltax
ive given him a finger tip of avocado and he's put it in his mouth but showed no more interest than if i had given him a book to eat. actually, probably less interest than that.
DS actually shows way more interest in eating books than food. He ripped a page out of my bible the other day (silly me, leaving it open around him). Today I wanted to get my 30 minute exercise routine done, so I put him on the floor and plunked a phone book in front of him. Ah, the blissful pleasure of turning, ripping, and gnawing the pages. Good for at least 10 minutes of fun.
#18 of 21 Old 06-26-2006, 07:55 PM

Only 10 minutes? I survived my conference last week by providing E with a squished paper coffee cup. Squished so it won't roll away.

Yeah, paper is definitely better than food to the under-1 set around here.
#19 of 21 Old 06-27-2006, 11:30 AM

: : : Hey DDDCers...uhmmm, I'm not very good with subtle signs and sometimes need to have things spelled out for me...

Is it bad MDC etiquette to post on other DDCs? I've never noticed that that many people post on DDCs that aren't their own and I've never really minded when they do...did I miss something?

Sorry for the stupid question...I am such a geek!

Kelli
#20 of 21 Old 06-27-2006, 01:53 PM

no. its not bad. pm'ing you.
#21 of 21 Old 06-28-2006, 12:09 AM

PM me too! I'm wondering about that too.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page